Tarot and Relationships

PentQueen

I'm just curious if anyone here has found that their psychic gifts/interest in Tarot really gets in the way of their relationships, particularly friendships? Lately I kind of feel like people see me as a circus freak, like it's okay to invite me over to read for people, but otherwise, they are maybe too scared that I'll know stuff about them, or maybe see me as 'different' and feel the need to keep their distance? I don't know, I could be overanalyzing. But I'm curious to hear how others on AT feel about this...I'm interested to hear your own experiences...

Alta

Just one instance and looking back I am not too pleased with myself. I went to a small 'girls' get-together many years ago at the house of a friend. While we were in the kitchen she whispered to me to that one of the guests (unknown to me) could 'read minds'. I kind of freaked me out and I avoided talking to the woman who was probably perfectly nice and just had intuitive flashes.

Grizabella

It only gets in the way of my relationships if I let it. Either I've chosen wrong people (for me, meaning they don't like Tarot and fear it) or else I've told the wrong people that I read.

It's not bad to have friends who want you to read for their friends. If you ever want to read professionally it will give you a client base and/or work-of-mouth PR and having word-of-mouth PR that you're a good reader honest, not a rip-off who sells rotten eggs and candles, is very good. Much better than certification that a lot of people ask about. (Certification isn't necessary, by the way.)

Tanga

Generally - the majority of my friends have esoteric interests too - or are open minded about it, so I don't have this sort of problem.
But I'm lucky - I live in London UK where there is great diversity with lots of esoteric stuff going on - and so I tend to run in circles where I bump into like-minded people.

I can tell if I meet someone who is not into the idea and have either found out about what I'm interested in, or it's come up in our conversation. Then - I just play it by ear.
If they genuinely want to know more - I tell them. If it's looking like they're getting scared or evangelical - I change the subject and refuse to talk about it anymore (no point wasting my breath :) ).

I haven't come across people only talking to me when they want my esoteric side for public demonstration - but otherwise don't associate with me.
If so - well, those aren't really friends are they? 'cause they don't understand and you can't meet them on equal footing...
Hmm.

In which case - I'd probably just keep them as "business associates" (If they invite me over to read and I find I enjoy it or am getting paid for it) and not bother otherwise.

I mean... if you really wanted to be friends with someone, even if they scared you - wouldn't you make the effort to get to know them anyway??
I would.

Now - my husband was another story... because when I married him 16 years ago - I was still in the Wiccan closet - and didn't even talk to him about everything I was interested in - or indeed believed in.
:D (why should I? - religion is personal isn't it?? Lol).
So - when he discovered I read cards he was uneasy - and even freaked out once, when he didn't like some of the imagery that he saw. I just hid it for a while after that.

But - he's gotten used to it now ;) ;)

Saskia

Tarot has not affected my relationships, so far, which is actually the opposite I presumed.

I seem to come across as very Queen of Swordsy in everyday life and my friends were surprised to hear I'm into anything esoteric such as tarot, when I came out of the closet by founding a tarot blog last Christmas. I feared their reactions beforehand but it has ranged from mild interest and curiosity to almost outright dismissal (no questions asked, let's talk about everything else like we used to). My parents are strictly religious and haven't commented at all, just like I don't comment their faith I find very limiting. We have sort of a peace treaty there :)

I can't remember how my husband found out (I read before we met) but I haven't been hiding nor flaunting tarot. He's generally supportive with pretty much everything I do but sometimes he lets slip he finds tarot rather silly - he's a scientist and thinks it's nonsense or hoax. I explain my viewpoint, he explains his, and off we go with our lives: he has his hobbies, I have mine, and we don't judge even if we don't fully understand the appeal.

I exchange readings with one friend, who reads; and others have not been that interested. One other friend has openly stated she thinks tarot is nonsense but no one else has tried to judge or treat me as a circus freak.

To wrap up: I think if others would mistreat me due to tarot, I'd reassess why we're friends. I agree that if these people only invite you to do readings, maybe start charging or spread your business cards if you read professionally? It's more like a business ally meeting than a friendship circle to me. Unless you really really want to make friends with them, in which case you probably have to be more active and try to meet these people one on one to get to know them - and give a chance to know you - better?

nisaba

I'm just curious if anyone here has found that their psychic gifts/interest in Tarot really gets in the way of their relationships, particularly friendships? Lately I kind of feel like people see me as a circus freak, like it's okay to invite me over to read for people, but otherwise, they are maybe too scared that I'll know stuff about them, or maybe see me as 'different' and feel the need to keep their distance? I don't know, I could be overanalyzing. But I'm curious to hear how others on AT feel about this...I'm interested to hear your own experiences...

Um ... do you know EVERY interest of ALL your friends? I probably don't, yet they are good friends, and I've known many of them for a few decades.

Do you feel a need to tell everyone you're into Tarot? I don't, but that's not the same as being in the closet. My heterosexual friends have never felt the need to come out to me about being straight. Friends I have that drive cars have never felt the need to tell me that they drive. I have never felt the need to tell everyone I know that I do Tarot. There are decks scattered all over my house, but I don't make a big deal of it and neither do they.

PentQueen

Um ... do you know EVERY interest of ALL your friends? I probably don't, yet they are good friends, and I've known many of them for a few decades.

Do you feel a need to tell everyone you're into Tarot? I don't, but that's not the same as being in the closet. My heterosexual friends have never felt the need to come out to me about being straight. Friends I have that drive cars have never felt the need to tell me that they drive. I have never felt the need to tell everyone I know that I do Tarot. There are decks scattered all over my house, but I don't make a big deal of it and neither do they.

Well, of course I don't know every interest of all of my friends...I'm not sure what that has to do with my question? I don't go around broadcasting that I read (in fact it's quite the opposite), but it has either come up casually, or friends have told other friends after I gave them what they considered to be a good reading. I don't think I make a big deal of it at all, I've just noticed that lately my friends have created a distance, and it feels like they might think I know too much or something. I understand that I could be imagining this, I was just curious to get other people's opinions on the subject.

PentQueen

Thanks everyone for your responses, I'm going to continue to read them over, so far they have been very helpful! :)

PentQueen

Tarot has not affected my relationships, so far, which is actually the opposite I presumed.

I seem to come across as very Queen of Swordsy in everyday life and my friends were surprised to hear I'm into anything esoteric such as tarot, when I came out of the closet by founding a tarot blog last Christmas. I feared their reactions beforehand but it has ranged from mild interest and curiosity to almost outright dismissal (no questions asked, let's talk about everything else like we used to). My parents are strictly religious and haven't commented at all, just like I don't comment their faith I find very limiting. We have sort of a peace treaty there :)

I can't remember how my husband found out (I read before we met) but I haven't been hiding nor flaunting tarot. He's generally supportive with pretty much everything I do but sometimes he lets slip he finds tarot rather silly - he's a scientist and thinks it's nonsense or hoax. I explain my viewpoint, he explains his, and off we go with our lives: he has his hobbies, I have mine, and we don't judge even if we don't fully understand the appeal.

I exchange readings with one friend, who reads; and others have not been that interested. One other friend has openly stated she thinks tarot is nonsense but no one else has tried to judge or treat me as a circus freak.

To wrap up: I think if others would mistreat me due to tarot, I'd reassess why we're friends. I agree that if these people only invite you to do readings, maybe start charging or spread your business cards if you read professionally? It's more like a business ally meeting than a friendship circle to me. Unless you really really want to make friends with them, in which case you probably have to be more active and try to meet these people one on one to get to know them - and give a chance to know you - better?

Thanks for this...yeah, I have a problem with helping others I think. This seems to happen in my work too...people only want me around for what I can give, and otherwise they won't give me the time of day. I don't want to read professionally to be honest, I don't have a desire to do so. I just wanted to help the odd friend who was going through something, but I feel that doing this kind of service has maybe put a distance between me and others, like they see me as 'different' or 'outside' of them. I agree with your advice here, thanks for this.

DaughterOfDanu

I've been lucky in that most my friends have fallen in love with Tarot and divination thanks to me being somewhat open about working with the cards. So cards are just another aspect of what we incorporate when we're together. Food, TV, good discussion, readings and looking through the artwork of my decks- the makings of a perfect girls night :)

I do pay attention to friends' beliefs before I come out about my interest. Might just be my history but, for example, I have a friend that likes to pray before exams. I have no issue with it and have been more than happy to pray with her, but I wouldn't dare bring up tarot or my spiritual beliefs because there's a good chance she won't be comfortable with it. Why risk it and a good friendship? Sure you may question the depth of our friendship if she wasn't able to get over that aspect of me, but I don't mind focusing on other things we have in common at all. Just like some find it good to avoid topics like politics around friends.