A Walk in the Wood...cuts, the Marseilles

Debra

Hm. From high to low:

Male spirituality and intellect > male body > female body > female spirituality and intellect.

Just a thought.

kwaw

kwaw said:
...the magic of the church trumps that of the juggler, like the miracles of a Moses trumps the trickeries of the pharoe's magicians; as St. Peter trumps the juggleries of a Simon Magus...

...no matter how good a juggler you think you are, the papesse reminds us: there is one that is better.

kwaw

kwaw said:
... the papesse reminds us: there is one that is better.

...and that history gets to be written by the victors;)

kwaw

prudence said:
I think I have read that the Papesse is a metaphorical symbol for "The Church" itself...

As well as representing an allegorical figure of the Church as papal bride, the Holy City was also allegorized as such: Petrarch for example figured Rome as papal bride in his support for the return of the papal seat from Avignon to Rome.

kwaw

Debra said:
Hm. From high to low:

In the fifteenth century there could could be 40 to a 100+ nunneries connected with any major city - housing literally thousands of 'Brides' of Christ'.

This was more to do with the social consequence of the dowry system than with vocation, lacking which natural inclination was all the harder to control. This led nunneries to be considered places more of easy virtue than godly virtue!

Our player of hocus pocus lays down
his wand, takes up
a ball and cup,
prays "come closeup"
and moves them round and round.

Our Lord's lady in her bridal habit
just loves to look
upon the crook;
her open book
mere pretense for the abbot.

Debra

LOL Kwaw you crack me up!

I don't think the Papesse is any ole' randy nun, though.

kwaw

Debra said:
LOL Kwaw you crack me up!

I don't think the Papesse is any ole' randy nun, though.

Your typical tavern player of the time may well have amused themselves with tales and bawdy jokes about such though;)

kwaw

kwaw said:
Your typical tavern player of the time may well have amused themselves with tales and bawdy jokes about such though;)

...and poets and writers too, in the bawdier and irreverent traditions of Boccaccio, Chaucer, de Meun, Valla, Rabelais...

Bernice

If taking the mind-set of time & place into consideration for these cards, I think Kwaw has a valid point! Maybe she's (if a 'she' is depicted) not so Holy.....

Bee :laugh:

kwaw

Bernice said:
If taking the mind-set of time & place into consideration for these cards, I think Kwaw has a valid point! Maybe she's (if a 'she' is depicted) not so Holy.....

A couple of excerpts from a speech of the character ‘False Seeming’ from ‘Roman de la Rose’:

But what care I? I'm none the worse,
With silver have I stored my purse
And goods have heaped; so well I've striven,
That foolish folk have freely given
Abundance, and I lead my life
In ease, all undisturbed by strife,
Thanks to the easy prelates who
Fear to say aught whate'er I do.
Not one of them dares make essay
Against me, or he'd roundly pay.
And thus I live as pleaseth me
By fraud, deceit, and trickery.

'False seeming' would wear a woman's robe on occassion, and apear as an abbess even:

Sometimes a woman's robe I wear,
As matron staid or damsel fair,
And oft assume religious dress,
As anchorite or prioress,
An abbess who with life hath done,
Or novice who would fain be nun
As through the world I walk about,
I turn each credence inside out,
And whatsoever may be their law,
I take the grain and leave the straw;
For I but live to cozen folk,
And laugh at all beneath my cloak.