Mary El Monochromatic Sketch Deck

FLizarraga

Wow, the sketch deck is even more stunning than I imagined! I can see the details of the artwork so much more clearly in black and white. Thanks for sharing the link, Happy Squirrel (it is a pity about the lamination). And thank you for the kind compliment, FLizarraga--I am new to the forum and still very shy about posting. In fact, I've never really posted on any public forum so this is an exercise in vulnerability for me. I appreciate you both making me feel at home :)

Wow, tarotluv, I wasn't even aware that you are a newcomer. Welcome to the forums! :party::party::party:

I think you'll love it here. I know I do.

The Happy Squirrel

Happy Squirrel, thanks for all the detailed information! :D

What you're saying makes me think that it's more of a collector's piece than a reader's deck.

If/when you decide to get rid of it, a trade could work better. You get something you want, the other person gets the Sketch deck, and everyone's happy.

So perhaps at some point you and tarotluv can work out a deal that works for both of you, or whatever.

And tarotluv, I think "beautiful and poignant" is probably the best description I have EVER found of the Mary-El Tarot. That's it, in a nutshell... :thumbsup:

Hey hey Fliz, I a dabbler and non-practitioner, so my perspective is highly skewed towards artistic and psychological elements rather than spiritual. But as you can see from the YouTube clip the stuff you can see on the sketch that you did not notice before on the cards can really give that other layer and dimension to your reading....!

The Happy Squirrel

Wow, the sketch deck is even more stunning than I imagined! I can see the details of the artwork so much more clearly in black and white. Thanks for sharing the link, Happy Squirrel (it is a pity about the lamination). And thank you for the kind compliment, FLizarraga--I am new to the forum and still very shy about posting. In fact, I've never really posted on any public forum so this is an exercise in vulnerability for me. I appreciate you both making me feel at home :)

Welcome!!!!

(Yes, indeed about the lamination!)

Farzon

Haaaaaha!

Well, here is my take on it.

First, let's get the negative out of the way. Well, negative *for me* anyways. The lamination reminds me of one of those super glossy self made lamination you can do with one of those things you buy from the craft shop. I have *always* preferred cards on the matted side, for use or collection or anything else.

Second, I do not like the borders. To me, the sharp black ink feel contrast too much with the soft pencil texture. So they feel *to me* as if the sketch and the borders belong to two different decks.

Third, the price is a tad high in my opinion for what I feel I am getting. I have no doubt that these cards have been lovingly handmade (I think the sketching is printed on though, so not actual sketching, because these are the sketches which she produced in the process of creating the deck, at leas this is my understanding, so there can not be more than one of the original, I think?). And I think this is what we are paying for.

HOWEVER:

If you do not get this to read with, which I don't (I think I have mentioned somewhere that I am more of a collector really), I feel that you can see the inner working (artistically speaking) of the deck before it took its final shape in what we now know as Mary El tarot deck.

This, to me, give me some glimpse of the creator's thought processes, and creative path, and this add to my understanding of the final product that is the deck.

I usually just look deeply into each of them and then compare them to the final print. It does add some layer to your understanding of the actual deck. But I come from a place of ignorance, so I do not know much about the possible philosophies which may underlay the design of the deck, other than the basic RW or Thoth which I picked up from reading here and there. This makes the layering of the creator's mind very helpful to me. As it provides me with more context to understand her deck. If that make sense......

It is like being able to glance at a draft of a great literature. Where you can see the author's notes and thought processes in the creation of the piece. Some kind of historical artifact from which you can enriched your understanding of what stand before you.

:)

This would have been an amazing deck printed on card stock that is more like the Light Vision or Wild Unknown. I really feel that it is a pity truly. Almost as if she has ran out of energy after the publication of the actual deck. And would rather just produce the sketch deck herself. Which can be a good thing. But only if you really have the time and energy. I think.... I could be wrong in my impression. It is just an impression :)
About the lamination: does it feel "cheaper" than the Mary-El's?
Because I think the original deck's lamination seems pretty cheap as well.

FLizarraga

The video de-enabled me in a big way. Yes, the drawings are out of this world, but the cardstock is horrible --über-laminated, and glossy like glass. :(

For that price, you would have thunk it was at least matte. Not cool. Not cool at all.

The Happy Squirrel

The video de-enabled me in a big way. Yes, the drawings are out of this world, but the cardstock is horrible --über-laminated, and glossy like glass. :(

For that price, you would have thunk it was at least matte. Not cool. Not cool at all.

I know riiiiiiiight..... :(

The Happy Squirrel

About the lamination: does it feel "cheaper" than the Mary-El's?
Because I think the original deck's lamination seems pretty cheap as well.

Sadly, yes......

I will never be able to get my money back on this deck at all I have decided. Of course I hope that something might change this. Since I own a deck!!!

The original deck can get away with the rather high gloss lamination I have to say. The colours and design are intense and powerful enough to work with a rather 'bling' lamination. (Unlike, say, the Prisma Vision deck).

I have come to terms with the idea that my purchasing this deck is more a 'patronage' gesture for a great artist, maybe like a 'donation', and not so much for the purchase of the deck itself.....

FLizarraga

Sadly, yes......

I will never be able to get my money back on this deck at all I have decided. Of course I hope that something might change this. Since I own a deck!!!

Whoa, whoa, hold your horses there! It's a unique, rare, valuable deck. Yes, it has problems. Still a unique, rare, valuable deck. Worst case scenario, you'll get a nice trade for it.

The original deck can get away with the rather high gloss lamination I have to say. The colours and design are intense and powerful enough to work with a rather 'bling' lamination.

Well, the problem with the original deck is Schiffer cardstock: glossy, laminated to death, and thick as a brick. But it shares that problem with all of Schiffer decks, and let's face, they have a lot of nice decks.

I have come to terms with the idea that my purchasing this deck is more a 'patronage' gesture for a great artist, maybe like a 'donation', and not so much for the purchase of the deck itself.....

I wouldn't worry too much about your investment. Like I said, it's a unique, rare, valuable deck. Just enjoy it, and trade it away when you're done with it. :)

The Happy Squirrel

Whoa, whoa, hold your horses there! It's a unique, rare, valuable deck. Yes, it has problems. Still a unique, rare, valuable deck. Worst case scenario, you'll get a nice trade for it.

Well, the problem with the original deck is Schiffer cardstock: glossy, laminated to death, and thick as a brick. But it shares that problem with all of Schiffer decks, and let's face, they have a lot of nice decks.

I wouldn't worry too much about your investment. Like I said, it's a unique, rare, valuable deck. Just enjoy it, and trade it away when you're done with it. :)

Yeah :) I don't really ever think of buying a deck as an investment really. But I am not in love with the deck, mainly because of the lamination, and so no matter how much I paid for it there still a disappointment. And somewhere in me there is a feeling that the price is not equitable to the quality. So of course the next thing I think about is to sell it away so that it can be loved by someone in a way that it can't with me. If I can find someone special enough I might even give it away. But there is no one around me for now. So. I will just keep it for now in the drawer somewhere :)

Tarotwolf

The deck also came with the original sketch or drawing of one of the card's paintings. That alone is worth the price paid. The deck is an incredible study resource for gaining a greater understanding of Marie's finalized paintings. I would speculate that is the reason most people purchased it. I feel very fortunate to have a copy of it.