6 of Cups - Nostalgia

The 78th Fool

I don't think this is a mundane interpretation at all - In fact I think you hit the nail totally on the head.

Chris. xx

TemperanceAngel

Divination interpretation: Change of residence ;)

Kit

Re: 6of Cups - Nostalgia

...it's almost like stepping back through time to eavesdrop on an idyllic childhood - the wonder on the little girl's face and the gift of a golden cup filled with flowers from an admired elder brother...

I've always taken the children on this card to symbolise an innocent, childlike love...I like this thought of them as sister and elder brother. one of this card's meanings is nostalgia and reminisence~possibly of the simplicity of childhood? It is a beautiful representation of innocence and childhood. The figure to the left does bother me too, though. He's so small I almost missed him. Perhaps he is walking away because he is no longer young and carefree.

Fulgour

starhermit said:
For me, the 6 of Cups represents innocence. Also wistfulness, looking back to a time when everything seemed simple and sweet and pure.
First impressions are very often the best and most lasting.
Looking at any image too long, the smiling Mona Lisa or
the 6 of Cups, can begin to cause the subconscious mind
to start noticing things that then become larger and larger.

I always like to remember that with a lot of the cards my
feelings were often, "This card is this way because the deck
really must has to have a card for this." It simply felt right!
The 6 of Cups belongs to you, to understand and experience
privately in your heart. It gets to be anything you want of it.

Parzival

6 of Cups -- Nostalgia

Another look brings nostalgia for or a feeling of loss for the Child of joy and wonder we left behind. The child has come down to earth from spiritual worlds, "trailing clouds of glory" as Wordsworth puts it. But in time the pre-birth link dissolves and we lament the loss of original harmony and light. Paradise lost.

starhermit

The 78th Fool said:
I don't think this is a mundane interpretation at all - In fact I think you hit the nail totally on the head.

Chris. xx

Great to know that we think alike Chris :)

Centaur

Re: 6of Cups - Nostalgia

WARNING: RAMBLING AHEAD...

This is one of my favourite cards in the RWS, as it fills me with a feeling of pleasant melancholy, if that makes any sense at all! For me, this card is steeped in childhood memories, and past, pleasant and not so pleasant experiences. Also, for me the child in this card is representative of an innocence that with age, gradually disappears as the child grows into an adult, and learns that life contains good and bad. In a way, I sometimes see the flowers the man in this card hands the child, as symbolic of these valuable lessons of life. It is his gift. Ofcourse, our experiences become firmly engrained in our memories. In a way, it could be argued that without memory we would have no sense of continuity, nor would we have any sense of self.

With regards to the man departing in the background? Perhaps he has also just been given flowers by the man, grown, learned his lessons, and is now departing.

I think that we all pass through that garden and meet that man at some point.

:D

tmgrl2

I always think of this card as containing the idea of regaining or recapturing "lost innocence."

Sorry, this post didn't come up...so I rewrote and posted below.

terri

tmgrl2

Sorry for double-post. I clicked and nothing came up for minutes.

Just lost my post.

Trying again.

Innocence lost and being recovered or recaptured...which of the two is giving and which is receiving?

The white mitts...purity and innocence of the child.

Other figure is giving/receiving with flesh-colored hands...already a person who has been exposed to some of the harsh cruelties of life, who has had to bury some of the childlike ways in order to survive.

Large cups...one on top of St. Andrew's cross. Death crowned by resurrection. Recaptured purity and innocence.

Man walking away. Turning one's back on an opportunity to regain peace and joy of child he once was.

terri

I, too, like this card. More than nostalgia, I think it has to do with going within to rekindle childlike qualities.