8 Cups

tarotlyn

8 of cups

8 of cups relates to the Strength card - XIII

This is a card of STRENGTH...the person CAN walk away from love or a
relationship if he wants to. Maybe he sees that there is too much physical
activity going on and just wants to go to a higher spiritual level.

So he is now strong enough to leave, what he feels, is a negative
relationship/s behind. Love may be offered here, but maybe not the KIND of
love he is looking for. He/she wants more than just a physical relationship,
or maybe they just don't feel the same way about the person that is offering.

This can also be a "travel" card. Planning a trip is a good thing right now.

Reversed:
The person does NOT have the STRENGTH to leave a bad relationship. Or it
can just mean that they are emotionally drained [cups upside down spilling
out love, emotions, and feelings] over a separation or a loss. Can cause
illness. They also do not want to admit that they are in just a sexual
relationship or a plain bad relationship for them. They won't listen.
:T8C

Alison

I will try this one. This card is one of the scarier ones for me in the deck because it has come up for me quite a few times and has been very acurate.

It always signifies a moving on, but what scares me is that I can never return. One of my readings was for a colleague who was looking for a new job. She wanted to leave as she was being treated unfairly. Eventually though, even though she was looking for something else, she was asked to leave, showing that her moving on was not something she could change her mind about at the last minute. And for myself, I recently had a similar situation with a friend. Things had been hard between us and I had been considering lessening my time with her (we saw each other with the kids on a regular basis). But eventually, it was her that closed the door on me, saying that out friendship was not working. Even though I knew it was for the best, there was nothing I could do to return to how things were as she was not prepared to listen. For me, the cups represent something solid. That might be the friendship with the woman or the job that my other friend left. I think it can be uspetting to leave these things of emotional security, but it will be beneficial in the long run. There will be a gap, but in both experiences, neither was fulfilling really, so I spend time with better friends and my old colleague found a job that was more suited to her.

Alison

bec

letting go will eventually also be setting free. Though the "thing" that needs to be let go of in 8 cups, has had a great significance/value to the person and where they are - so letting go contains a lot of fears of what will be afterwards. The freedom to rest/heal/choose a new direction comes next - could say that 8cups is a strength card in what needs to be cut off inorder to be able to move forwards again.

Knowing this and still letting it go so far, that others makes the decision in cutting loose for us - will not imidiately give the satisfaction of release, as it will give a process of dealing with "left with no choice". Taking that deep breathe and do what is best, as we know it inside it is; is by far recommended, rather then just waiting for the inevetable.

BodhiSeed

http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/cups08.jpg

Yes, I agree this card has a lot to do with inner strength. The way the cups are arranged tells the tale... Notice how there seems to be a hole/space in the group? Almost as if saying this particular relationship or situation will not bring you healing and wholeness... it's best to move on... don't be seduced by fear into sticking with what you know, because there is something SO much better just waiting for you out there if you'll just have the courage to move on. I definitely see this as a positive card!

Bodhran

Vadella

bodhran said:
I see the Eight of Cups as a carry-over from the Seven of Cups. In the SofC, there is a choice to be made - what will bring happiness and fulfillment?
Obviously, the wrong choice was made, because on the EofC you see a gap in the stacked cups (that feeling of emptiness and lack of fulfillment). The good news is the fellow doesn't sit there whining saying 'Why me?", but instead decides to move on.

Bodhran

This is exactly what I was contemplating for a bit today. My youngest found the 8 of cups card. I didn't know it was missing. But she put it in front of me and I started analyzing the story line on the cups (in my head) as I was gazing at this card. 7 representing choices, then moving to the 8th after making a decision and realizing it wasn't the best option, then moving on to make your wish come true in the 9. It seems almost as though The person walked right through this card without stopping. lol Even though we know differently. ;)

xx
Vad

oraclearcane

8 of cups

Rider-Waite deck. When I get this card in a reading I see someone leaving, moving on. Moving on to a new place, leaving a situation that had and still has meaning to us, but it is our decision to move away from a situation ,we know it's time. It's the situation when we can tell something has finished and before it completely dryes up we have to choose a different route, to higher grounds, in the image the character is going up on the ground, not on the water, meaning that he's leaving for higher grounds, with more meaning.

JonMAblaze

I love the 8 of Cups. Have you seen the Tarot of the New Vision? This is one of the decks I most want, because I love working with the RWS, and I think this deck gives us a fascinating new way of accessing it. It shows the scenes from the RWS from the other side of the card, and every card gives an amazing new spin on the scenes we've all grown so comfortable with. Check out what's on the other side of the 8 of Cups.

Vetch

Hey, that 'New Vision' sure is a cool idea! But it's an interpretation of Pamela's deck, it offers ideas, just as we do, when we interpret the RWS. But done with great craft, and a joy to look at! I would love to see all of its cards. :)

Something I wanna add to the 9 cups, not really new, but like taking part in a survey:

When I do a reading for a young lady, about bf, a guy, love, y'know, the usual, this card likes to pop up.
I always tell them that it shows the quest for Real True Love.
Like in that Whitney Houston song :)
I found the greatest
love of all
inside of me

Many of us don't yearn for love but for being loved.
I believe that this card shows the beginning of the journey towards our inner well, towards the water of life.
I see the 8s as the time of the apprentice -- having passed the test of the 7,
but not being a jedi yet. :)
And with the cups it's the knowledge that romance and being adored is not the kind of love that really nourishes.
With the 8 of cups the inner well, the soul-spring has not been found yet.
But the man on the card knows that it's there, and he is underway to find it.

I believe that only when we have found that well we can really connect, share and love. (Result of that is shown in the 2 of cups and in The Lovers.)

ofbainbridge

8's: movement from changes and revisions
Cups: Emotions and how a person navigates some union or bond...

So 8 of cups upright might indicate making changes or revisions in some relationship or bond or old emotional patterns
Reversed might indicate feeling stuck or trapped in a bond unable to walk away from it...feeling unable to let go of emotional patterns that no longer work...

bershka

hmph, I have had this card a lot in my spreads recently!!

It definitely means to leave everything behind e.g., your home, your comfort zone to go somewhere new where it's unexpected and start everything from scratch again.