8 Cups

MoofiesAngel

Confused

I am new and confused, especially since I started reading 'The Pictorial Key to the Tarot'. When I read the forum, Thirteen's ebook, or Joan Bunning, I understand VIII Cups to mean one thing. However, when I read The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, I get this, "A man of dejected aspect is deserting the cups of his felicity, enterprise, undertaking or previous concern. Divinatory Meanings: The card speaks for itself on the surface, but other readings are entirely antithetical-giving joy, mildness, timidity, honour, modesty. In practice, it is usually found that the card shews the decline of a matter, or that a matter which has been thought to be important is really of slight consequence-either for good or evil. Reversed: Great joy, happiness, feasting."

Those are not the impressions I get from reading the forum nor from Thirteen's ebook nor Joan Bunnings book. What am I misunderstanding here when I read Waite's book? Perhaps I should not read that book now as it is confusing me ????

Thank you

cdabs

Waite's Pictorial Key To The Tarot--Cryptic

MoofiesAngel: I think you'll find that most folks think Waite's "key" to the Tarot is VERY cryptic and NOT very helpful. You would think you could start with it, but I can see such a book turning one off immediately...i.e., having to figure out just what meanings he's trying to get across! I got my "Pictorial Key To The Tarot" as part of a set with my Universal RWS cards. Luckily, I had read a few other books before seeing this one!

Bunning is also online: www.learntarot.com

Waite's "key" is here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/index.htm

MoofiesAngel

cdabs: Thank you for your response. It is a good thing a friend directed me towards Joan Bunning's book and web site first. The way she approaches Tarot really enthused me and still does. I wanted the Rider Waite deck but the colors did not appeal to me. He suggested the Universal deck and was right on about that. I, too, got the "Pictorial Key..." book when I purchased my Universal deck. I adore the deck but the book is leaving a tremendous amount to be desired. At times I have not a clue what he is saying and what he says seems quite contradictory to what intuition tells me. I just read a review under the book section of this forum and the writer of the review of "Pictorial Kay..." stated it was very difficult to follow. Phew! I thought I had a mind block or something bizarre going on LOL. When I took what Bunning and Thirteen's ebook had to say the card I pulled yesterday made 100% sense and was right on. When I compared it to what Waite said I was lost in a fog. That was when I decided to question here. So, I'm glad to discover it's not just myself who has had difficulty with the book. Not to mention I have a pretty decent vocabulary and found myself looking up a bunch of words as I read. We don't use those words now a days and when one is trying to learn something I don't think vocabulary lessons should be thrown in on top of it. Thanks again............

Julien

Last spring, this card showed up as an outcome card in a reading for a friend -- she loved her current job and her friends, but had heard that a new position had opened up for which she was a perfect fit for her skills and interest, and was very close to her parents and extended family. She applied and got the job, but had a hard time through the entire process because she really was happy where she was.

The 8 of Cups signified that she was about to leave a situation she really loved for a new one in the hopes that the new one would be even more emotionally satisfying than the already emotionally satisfying situation she was in.

Since then, I've heard from two other readers that they've seen it show up when such a change was about to happen. In every case the individual had not consciously wanted to leave and wasn't looking to get out of a bad situation. They wouldn't have left their current situation for anything less than something really great -- but when the really great opportunity came up, she/he took it.

Julien

MoofiesAngel

VIII Cups reversed has shown. Would that not indicate blocking that positive energy for following one's dreams and aspirations? Sticking to what is 'known' and 'safe' and unaltering...worse yet when sticking to the 'known' and 'safe' is not a comfortable event and one stagnates becoming quite uncomfortable, disappointed and to say the least very disillusioned with the outcome. Ones dreams are abandoned and one is settling for less than their potential, less than their joy thereby becoming quite miserable.

Just wanting to make sure I have this correctly.