8 of Cups, scared of commitment.

mariaalaina

Hi there, I am VERY knew to tarot...i THINK i may understand a little but about it now.

But I need a little help about this case scenario.

A guy and a girl, friends for 4 years, get along great, compatible, have a connection with one another, but he is scared of commitment. Their feelings grow quite strong for one another.

If i pulled an 8 of cups for him as his feelings, would this mean
he is finally making a decision of leaving his former attitude of not wanting to commit behind and setting out into the unknown, unknown and wanting to try and commit to a relationship with this girl?

the eight of cups confuses me sometimes!
i hope you can give me some input here =] thanks!

The crowned one

Eights are about practical application of what we have learned..it is a action card. I see the single drawn card eight of cups with no other cards around it as a situation that did not live up to our expectations. He has outgrown a "emotional" situation.

You are more describing the 8 of swords and fear to make a decision or move.

willowfox

I don't see this card as a card of committing, it is more a card of dissatisfaction with how the relationship is,maybe the fact that she wants him to make a commitment, maybe he is bored or fed up and would very much like to be somewhere else. This card is only his feelings, it does not not say that he will leave only that deep down that he would like to leave. Feeling and action are to different things. I have feelings about certain things but nothing ever happens because I don't make them into a reality.

mariaalaina

ahh now i am really confused! There was a milestone and they have no issues between them, just keep getting closer, so not sure why the eight of cups would come up at all! if i go by what you are describing what the eight of cups is saying, i am so confused :/

The crowned one

mariaalaina said:
ahh now i am really confused! There was a milestone and they have no issues between them, just keep getting closer, so not sure why the eight of cups would come up at all! if i go by what you are describing what the eight of cups is saying, i am so confused :/

Practical application of what we have learned? My option is confusing you, not the card. perhaps he is ready to move on, with her. If a situation does not live up to our expectations we change it. The sentence sounds negative but the outcome is open to both growth and closure. Right?

mariaalaina

okay, ya i think i might get it. So in this case, he is not happy with where it is at, so he is moving, changing it to something different, taking it to the next level.
...am i getting it now?

Seafra

yes, he simply hasn't found that missing link. Fear of commitment is a totally different issue. You'd find that in, oh, King of Wands RX, Hanged Man Rx, mayhaps the knight of wands ... other places. It isn't a fear here, its a lack of fulfillment. Big difference.

willowfox

His feeling for her have been constant for sometime but he is now turning away from what he felt before and is now looking elsewhere, it would indicate that all was warm and cosy for a long time but now he is no longer satisfied and wants something new. The cups standing behind him are the solid feelings that he had for her in the past but he has now turned his back on them and is walking away.

balenciaga

8 cups - something else is tugging at him and beckoning him to follow - there is another path he wishes to take and his heart is leading him there - away from where he is now. There are other dreams he wishes to fulfill.

Thirteen

What are the Cups? What is the Moon?

I'm sorry you're getting confused. I actually know where you're coming from and I think your original interpretation may be right. The confusion here are attempts to clarify an aspect of the card. What are the cups he's walking away from? And what is the Moon he's walking towards?

The Cups: I don't think many people see walking away from those cups as leaving behind "a fear." But if you change that wording from "he's afraid of this" to "This is what he's always been comfortable and happy with"--then you get the 8/Cups. He's not walking away from a "Fear." He's walking away from something known, that he likes, that's familiar and comfortable. Like, living in his mother's basement rather than on his own.

The Moon: What you describe, the "getting closer" could certainly be the "draw" of this girl (the moon), luring him out of his former comfort zone (the cups) toward a dream he may not have known he even had (like marriage). And certainly, there is a bit of fear involved. Perhaps he's always seen the moon, felt its pull, but been terrified of leaving what he knows to go after it. Only now is that draw too strong to resist. In short, your interpretation might be spot on. BUT, we readers are often too eager to create an happy ending. Especially when reading for friends. What a lot of the confusing answers here are asking you is: are you putting a positive spin on this because you want a happy ending? Or are you really seeing this? This guy can't be *drawn* to a fear. He has to be drawn to something that transcends his fears. That makes him want to leave everything he's ever been comfortable with and suffer discomfort to have.

Are you SURE that this girl is THAT for him? Is SHE the Moon? Or might this card be a warning that something else is going to lure him away? Trust me on this--when people say they're "afraid of commitment" what they usually mean is "I'm afraid to commit to THIS person." The minute they find that person they can't live without, and that person says, "Marry me or I walk," every single prior objection and fear they had vanishes into thin air and they're suddenly at the altar saying, "I do, forever and ever!" If this girl said, "Marry me or I'm off to find someone else," would he marry her on the spot? If not, then she's not the Moon. The Moon is something you will drop everything you're comfortable and familiar with to go after.