a little help please :)

MysticRose

What I'd like to do (if I can figure out how) is to make a Rider deck all in pink on the computer with the option of potential publication or not. I have Adobe Photoshop. I am open to obtaining whatever other programs I'd need. My computer uses Vista if that makes a difference.

Other than that, what do I need to do? Do I need to get some kind of copyright permission? If not, where can I obtain the card outlines so I can fill in the shades of pink and then maybe add a few things of my own... meanings, titles, maybe some extra imagery.

My late husbands fav deck was Rider and his fav color was pink so I thought it might be a cool idea to make one up like that and dedicate it to him. If it's publication worthy as well then it can be for anyone (men and women) who like PINK too.

Well, it's just a thought at this point.

I'd also like to maybe do up an oracle with some mandala software if I can find some that would work for that. I can spif it up in the photoshop as well so it would just need to generate a nice mandala that I could save to a jpg and then I can add titles etc in the photoshop.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lynny

I use a program called GIMP, and it has a tool called Colorize, where it turns all the colors to a certain shade. I have included a sample so you can see if it's what you are looking for. It's very quick and easy to do, also. :3 But if you were to actually publish them, I think you would need copyright permission. >_<

(btw GIMP is a free program that anyone can download)

Attachments

• rider-waite-fool-pink.jpg
    rider-waite-fool-pink.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 117

MysticRose

Cool Lynny. Thank you! I will look into Gimp. I was wondering about copyright because there are different decks by various artists that seem so similar. Rider, Universal Waite, Hanson Roberts. The structures all seem pretty similar to me. I'm just wondering how they worked out the copyright issues. If I do a pink deck, I might like to do more than just shading. I would make it unique by adding some symbols my husband used to like so it would involve a bit more than just coloring it in. I would want to find some rider type images with basic outlines to start from though... much like the one you attached. I'd start with that and then add to it etc. I could always just do it for myself and forget about potential publication as well. I don't draw very well so digital art is more my style.

I'm trying to find some mandala programs right now and just surfing around looking for more ideas for digital decks. I had started a fractal one but I lost the files in a computer crash and didn't have backups. It wasn't close to finished anyway. I found out that fractals are more difficult to get published because they are more difficult to print so I haven't decided if I'll try doing another fractal deck again or not. I may just go with a mandala oracle if I find a program or programs I think I can work well with.

I'll go check out Gimp for sure. :)

aja

you can also do what you're wanting to in Photoshop....in a couple of ways....
1. Desaturate and
a. Layer - Adjustment Layer - Hue & Saturation - colorize and choose the pink that you want. Because it's an adjustment layer, you'll have the flexability to manipulate the color....or add additional layers
b. Layer - fill with pink and set the layer type to Color. Same as above. Try a couple of the other settings as well.

2. Don't Desaturate and try both of the methods above.
Both of these methods are pretty 'down and dirty' and won't necessarily give you really subtle results. For that you'd probably need to go in and continue to brush in additional color in additional styles

Can't help you with the copyright issue part...but if you have any Photoshop questions feel free to ask.

MysticRose

Thank you aja! :) Is there a free online photoshop tutorial somewhere? I haven't played with the layering before. I'm sure I don't know half of what I can do with that program.

Sinduction

I do believe the original rws images are public domain, no? I thought I read that somewhere.

Anyways, good luck. :D

Dean

MysticRose said:
What I'd like to do (if I can figure out how) is to make a Rider deck all in pink on the computer with the option of potential publication or not. I have Adobe Photoshop. I am open to obtaining whatever other programs I'd need. .

When you say potential publishing do you mean copying the Rider Waite deck by using a programme to alter its original colour.

I think you might be breaking some copy right issues by doing that, unless you have created your own clone like deck.

MysticRose

It's all just ideas at this point Dean. I don't want to break any rules. That's why I am asking. :) If the original images are actually in the public domain like Sinduction posted, then anyone can use them but I don't know to what extent or what the rules would be about that.

I can still create an original mandala deck of my own either way so I'm still finding out about that too.

Dean

MysticRose said:
It's all just ideas at this point Dean. I don't want to break any rules. That's why I am asking. :) If the original images are actually in the public domain like Sinduction posted, then anyone can use them but I don't know to what extent or what the rules would be about that.

I can still create an original mandala deck of my own either way so I'm still finding out about that too.

Yes of course i was just interested in what you was doing, i quite like the idea of a pink RW deck.;)

MysticRose

Dean said:
Yes of course i was just interested in what you was doing, i quite like the idea of a pink RW deck.;)

It would be fun for me to do it Dean if I can figure out how. So, I wonder how a little pink mandala deck would go over with if I can't do a pink Rider one? :)