A New TdM was born in Japan: Tarot de Marseille ISIS Version

Flaxen

The copyright notice is there at the bottom of the cards but I don't think it's too noticeable. It doesn't bother me that it's there but I suppose it depends on individual preference.

conversus

the two copies of the ISIS VERSION of the Tarot de Marseille that I ordered just arrived in my office about an hour ago. the images are very lovely, much improvement over the Camoin and Hadar experiments. I don't have time for a true review, but i can say that I am quite happy that they have arrived in good time and good shape.

I look forward to examining them more closely tonight.

Thanks to the ISIS people for a beautiful version of the traditional cards!!!

Peace and All Good

CED

KhonsuMes

Two copies arrived today for me too.
These cards are fun..
Most characters have brown eyes, but some have blue.
There are odd groups of black dots and bubble-like baubles in various places,
Le Pape and L'Hermite both have blue left hands and pink right ones, (Le Pape sporting a tattoo on his right, since it definitely isn't gloved, while L'Hermite's left looks gloved ...).
Le Toile is kneeling on a nice little wooden deck instead of directly on the ground.
Trump XIII wears a short kilt with a pocket.

The shading and shadowing really brings out detail and extends even into the pips.

Most happy with the purchase!

kenji

Hello all

I am glad some of the applicants here have received the decks all right and that they seem to like them:)

To Mr Onuma, a practical qabalist, this deck is intended for the experiment of making his Tarot system "de-Camoinized", and also for easier path-working by its 3D graphics.

BTW, I made mistakes in my first two posts here:( The images of the ISIS deck were from 2009 1st edition, not from the present 2nd edition (slightly modified). Sorry for the inconvenience!

Here's the "mandala" of all the 22 trumps of the 1st edition. In the 2nd edition, the egg in LA PAPESSE has been removed, and the Hebrew letter "Yod" in LE CHARIOT is replaced with the initials "V.T"...

mandara_l.gif

Produced by Tadahiro Onuma, Published by ISIS, 2009

Cerulean

Are there any exercises or spreads or comparisons you recommend..

I do not know what to make of this pretty thing...perhaps compare with....?

Mandala layout sounds fun.

Thinking....

cardlady22

Does he still have decks available? I've not received a reply to my follow-up email.

TdM lover

Jodo-Camoin <-> Onuma

Hi Kenji,
I am intrigued by this deck (and happy that the TdM tradition is alive and kicking). The very human eyes make it very attractive but on the other hand the drawing looks like a cartoon, too smooth, too soft and definitely to pink! It apaers to me like a … ‘disneyfied’ TdM!
Mr. Onuma de-camoinised it but putted bees in… That way he missed the opportunity to eventually stick close to the original. What exactly is Mr. Onuma’s goal?
Jodo-Camoin made their tarot based on mainly the Conver and the Tourcaty (plus a bit of J. Jerger and others). They claim to have made a deck close to the original tarot de Marseille. What is the claim of Mr. Onuma?
By calling it the Isis deck, does he mean that the Egyptian tradition is the most important influence in TdM? (by the way is Mr. Onuma not present on Aeclectic?)
If I understand well Mr. Onuma has worked closely with Philippe Camoin. I guess he isn’t happy with the Jodo-Camoin deck anymore since he made his own now. Does he also disagree with Camoin about the interpretation of the card now?
Thanks for reading and have a nice weekend,
TdM Lover

cardlady22

I'm about to send off the joint order confirmation. There is a thread in Tarot Trading. ;)

ETA: Decks arrived today 8th of July!

CornissMagorniss

Mine arrived in Israel after just 10 days, including one day in Israeli customs, in perfect condition. Card size is somewhat narrower than usual, but that does not detract from the clarity of the image, and they are quite easy to handle.

The pictures are fascinating and the colors are clear but not at all garish. I spent a very pleasant idle afternoon contemplating the subtle differences between each of them and the charm of the unique style of the designs. The backs are particularly pleasing in a subtle, yet not at all boring way.

The Marseilles is quite new to me, and my experience in reading is far from extensive, yet I found them surprisingly easy to read and a delight to handle. I would strongly recommend the ISIS to other newbies curious about the TdM. It's easy to gain familiarity with a deck that calls you back to handle and read with it again and again.

Even without his upcoming English website, it was a pleasure dealing with Mr. Onuma. He and the Japanese Postal Service prove a wonder of efficiency.

Annabelle

Mine arrived today, less than a week after ordering it (though admittedly I paid for the faster shipping method).

First thoughts -- it's charming! I like the bright colors, the clear faces, and the clean lines of the art.

The card stock is a pleasure to hold and feel. Smooth and flexible.

And . . . this is odd, perhaps . . . but I keep noticing the nuances of facial expressions on the majors and courts. It's not something I ordinarily notice in a TdM style deck. But I very much like it in the ISIS!

Conclusion -- the ISIS Marseille is totally worth what I paid to buy it and have it shipped from Japan. A welcome addition to my collection.