A spiritualist just told me I need to burn my tarot decks....

Grizabella

I was raised with this kind of religious fanaticism and like Nevermore, it brings sadness to me when I hear of it.

All my life, my family was convinced I was "going to hell", but I tried so hard to be "good". I've danced since I was very tiny---memories of it when I was about three, which is as far back as I can remember. I was told that was of the devil. I loved being pretty, wearing pretty clothes, jewelry and makeup and high heels. Was branded as being a "slutty" from very, very early age. Not going to heaven again. :rolleyes:

I was always chosen in school for plays, from age first grade. I absolutely loved it and probably was a natural for it. That was un-Christian, too, and put some paint on the little red wagon I was in that was headed for the flames of hell. Also put an early end to my acting career. I wanted to act, write, be a dancer----all very evil and sinful.

When I was about 15, I visited a friend's church, wore plain clothing and no makeup. The pastor called me up front and laid hands on me to try to expel whatever evil forces had me in their grip.

At 17, visited another church. Wore a brightly colored but prim dress and a little makeup. The pastor, looking right at me, based the sermon on how the devil isn't always male, but can appear as a pretty young woman wearing bright clothing and makeup. I was the only young, brightly dressed female wearing makeup in the building, so I wasn't too stupid to miss the point. :bugeyed:

I've always been a writer. Had to do that on the sly because that was sinful, too. My writing was destroyed, exposed to others, ridiculed, forbidden. :rolleyes:

There's lots, lots more, believe me.

Finally I just gave up and decided that, for some celestially nasty joke, God had created me a really sinful and hopeless person headed for hell, which I couldn't understand at all because I truly wanted to be good and I didn't understand why a loving God would have created me. It was really a terrible way to feel about myself. I was told that, even though we aren't allowed to understand, some people are just evil people and that God has his plan in creating them, and not to question it.

So just have pity on someone who is so duped that she believes the rot that some fanatical church has taught her. Pity her because she's too afraid to break away from that. But don't allow her to do it to you and do report her. She has no right to bring her fanaticism to the workplace and make others miserable by passing judgment on them and their spiritual practices.

sleepingcat

Not to offend anyone,

But why in a world so full of hate, pain and true suffering, do people think that God's calling them to create more over things that cant harm people at large?! Can't these people be productive?!

For as much money as they spend on propaganda... Enegry and money they could be doing somthing so much more constructive.

....Instead of pestering you, Gayla, have her address and lick envelopes for the breast cancer research foundation, or a similar charity. She'd be doing somthing useful, feel good about herself, and her togune would be so goo'd up she wouldnt be able to speak at all for a few hours. >: 3

greenbeans

I just read Solitaire's account and I'm appalled. It sounds like the Church persecuted you just for being attractive, female and talented. Horrible. You must be a very strong person to have got through all that with your identity intact.

This is why I don't like organised religion. Jesus said a lot of good things but sadly, we human beings use these things to hurt each other and get power for ourselves.

wytchwood

Quite right. Jesus tried to teach love, and would not have been capable of this hateful behaviour towards a child, or anyone for that matter, and these kinds of fanatics and zealots would do well to remember why they are even Christians.

I do sympathize with Gayla as something similar happened to me many years ago... One time when I was about 17 I was enticed into an individual's home with poems. I knew the guy and was aware that he was a bit eccentric, but he was a talented poet and when he asked if I would come in and listen to him recite some of his poems I was into the idea. Once he got me inside he set about me with this 'exorcism' such as you may see on films like the Exorcist. It was an unpleasant experience I can tell you, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He was placing his hand on my head, holding then 'releasing' like you see those evangelists do, and that sort of stuff. I wanted to laugh, but when I started to chuckle I saw myself through his eyes: he would no doubt see this as proof of demonic possession so I thought better of it and waited until he'd finished and then left. He had probably got wind of the fact that I could read people (very well at the time) by touching them or being near to them. Although the exorcism was obviously a load of mumbo-jumbo, I still felt violated as I had gone with him in good faith, and was trying to have time for him as he seemed so alienated and was treated as the local joke as he'd gone a bit weird. He had gone bananas for Jesus at the time- probably the result of too many hallucinogens- I've seen it before.

It's sad when people use religion as a channel for their hatred. In many cases, like with this guy, they are actually deranged which makes them all the more dangerous.

Also (and another thing!) those Spiritualists reckon they contact the dead. What they are really doing is squeezing money out of the bereaved under false pretences-talk about low. If they really do contact the dead, then how hypocritical can you get to tell you to burn your Tarot cards??! And if they don't- then they are liars and cheats. Either way don't take any notice of them!

Tarotphelia

wytchwood said:
Also (and another thing!) those Spiritualists reckon they contact the dead. What they are really doing is squeezing money out of the bereaved under false pretences-talk about low. If they really do contact the dead, then how hypocritical can you get to tell you to burn your Tarot cards??! And if they don't- then they are liars and cheats. Either way don't take any notice of them!
\

Spiritualism is religion that is based on mediumship and belief in the afterlife . They don't charge for their services that I know of , although there are mediums who are Spiritualists who may work privately and charge as any other medium might . Or any other tarot reader might . I don't know if Spiritualists accept donations or not - they probably have to have some way to support their organization as other churches do .

The person Gayla is having a problem with says she is a Spiritualist , but what she is doing seems in conflict with what that religion believes and practices , and she hasn't so far tried to get any money out of Gayla .

That's a sad story Solitaire . Very typical of patriarchal religions , and of the unpleasant human tendency to pick a scapegoat to dump on . I feel very sorry for the victims , but in no way do I feel sorry for the people that do these things in the name of religion and God . Even though they can be deluded and fear based , they also get off on what they are doing and gain a sense of power from it . And often try to make themselves seem like the victims to gain sympathy and attention .I would even say they that in many cases they manage to train their victims to feel sorry for them and make excuses for them .

wytchwood

My comments about the Spiritualist Church were based on my own experience and were not merely casual digs based on ignorance, I am well aware of the public face presented by the Spiritualists, but thanks for pointing that out.

mysticmonkey

Dark Inquisitor said:
Or any other tarot reader might . I don't know if Spiritualists accept donations or not - they probably have to have some way to support their organization as other churches do .
I believe that some take donations mainly to cover costs. I know a spiritualist who doesn't charge for readings (I don't think he believes in charging, that's the impression he's given me anyway.) but if he has to travel some way then he does appreciate something towards petrol costs or a hot meal.

Also he has nothing against Tarot cards at all, he just doesn't need to use them.

Pagan X

There are Spiritualists who don't charge, just as there are Witches who don't charge, and even Christians who don't beg for money on tv.

The problem is that the scammers/ or most organized in wanting to build institutions/ are also often the most visible members of many religions, because hey, they need to be.

Splungeman

Wow...y'know I've been watching this thread with fascination. It just keeps getting bigger! I say again...that lady would be horrified to know that we are getting so much from her craziness! We're learning about Spiritualism, we're having a lot of laughs! The number or responses alone is sufficient response to her wackiness!!

Thank you crazy spiritualist anti-Tarot tongue talkin' woman!! You've brought vigor and joy to the hearts of hundreds of Tarot readers!! Bwa ha ha ha haaa!