an experiment at gilt edging

kalliope

When I did my Merryday, I laid out 4 cards as I did them, Then the oldest done went onto a general stack. I kept swapping out the 4 stations that way. The Tsukineko brand is billed as "fast-drying" and it did well.

Thanks for describing your method here and in your next post. I have a Tsukineko metallic set, and plan to use it to put gold gilt edging on my trimmed Golden Tarot. Knowing that it's quick-drying and how you did yours is helpful, thanks!

Carla

Celtic Tarot with royal blue edges

Well, here it is:

Attachments

• Blue Celtic Tarot.jpg
    Blue Celtic Tarot.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 254

cardlady22

Lovely, Carla! Is it staying well now that it has had time to dry?

Carla

It's a bit tacky still, when it's good and dry, I will wipe off the leftovers from the laminated fronts and backs. Let this be a warning to everyone--buy fast drying ink! Doh!

That's my fault though. I put the deck together and thought it could use another coat, so on impulse I squeezed the whole deck together in one hand and ran the ink pad very lightly over it like polishing a shoe. :) So now it's got to dry again.

cardlady22

Hmmmm. Perhaps you should take care that they don't end up tacked together? Can you lay out your 16 and then have a layer of a paper towel between each successive layer of 16? Without pressing them down.

Carla

No paper towels. I really don't think they will stick. I have had a look, but I will do what I can to prevent sticking, thanks for the warning. :) I can tell you I'm never doing this again! :)

kalliope

I put gold gilt edging on my trimmed Golden Tarot today. I used color #91-Galaxy Gold by Tsukineko (from the Planetarium set), and it was as wonderfully quick-drying as cardlady22 and the packaging said. :)

In the "before" picture you can see one of the extra cards with the original gilt edging. It's a lot shinier/glossier than what the ink pad delivered, but I still like my results.

Attachments

• Golden_EdgesBefore-2.jpg
    Golden_EdgesBefore-2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 324
  • Golden_EdgesAfter1.jpg
    Golden_EdgesAfter1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 332
  • Golden_EdgesAfter2.jpg
    Golden_EdgesAfter2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 312

Cassandra022

nice results. may have to try gilting something with the inkpad method for a change myself

rwcarter

I wasn't clear enough. I lay out the 4 cards singly before I stack them. This probably would not work unless the pad one uses is fast-drying.

stack

1 2
3 4

Does that help any? I will do all the edges of card 1 and lay it there. Then I do card 2 and lay it beside.
Next is card 3, followed by card 4.

By that point in time, card 1 gets moved above to create a single stack. Card 5 (or whichever you are on) would then get laid where card 1 was.

I did edge my deck in one sitting ~ an afternoon project.
When I put the cherry red border on my Pimped Rider Waite, I used a similar method to cardlady22, although I probably laid 8 or 10 out at a time. I used a Memories brand ink pad. The underside of the pad says that it's "quick dry" but doesn't give any other kind of time estimate.

I did all 4 edges of the first card, put it back, did all four edges of the next card, put it back, etc. up to the last card. Then I'd move those cards off into the stack and do the next batch. Think I was done in an hour or two.