an experiment at gilt edging

Cassandra022

well i gave in and ordered tsukineko ink pads in copper, black and silver...my gilting colors of choice. copper and black came in today. started gilting my trimmed deviant moon in the copper. DEF much less of a hassle than using the rub and buff, i must say. also, uber laminated decks are definitely best when experimenting with new gilting mediums xD looking forward to seeing this deck when im done, copper looks like a real nice choice for it in my mind :]

Cassandra022

black edges on black bordered deck is lovely. i've done LoTD and Vetrate before, doing Klimt now. Will try to post pictures later if I've time....

Carla

Update on the Celtic. It's gone a sort of faded denim shade, which actually more closely matches the box. :) It's not shedding on me finally. And it does look much better than the truly disgusting grunge. I've ordered a second copy of Celtic Tarot and this blue is most likely going in to storage as the 'back up'.

Personally, I don't think I'll be doing this again. It was a nightmare! Take this lesson from me: Do not buy any old pigment ink pad, no matter what the lady in the shop says. She's surely never used the ink to edge a tarot deck.

canid

well i gave in and ordered tsukineko ink pads in copper, black and silver...my gilting colors of choice. copper and black came in today. started gilting my trimmed deviant moon in the copper. DEF much less of a hassle than using the rub and buff, i must say. also, uber laminated decks are definitely best when experimenting with new gilting mediums xD looking forward to seeing this deck when im done, copper looks like a real nice choice for it in my mind :]

Are the tsukineko ink pads shiny shiny like chrome?! That would be awesome. The Krylon Leafing Pens are difficult to use (and WAY expensive) but give a wonderful shine; but you have to do each card individually. All 4 sides. Maybe twice; that's 624 times. I've tried to do more than one card at a time but the ink 'seeps' between the cards & ruins the deck. But with those ink pads, can you just quickly blot each side of the card onto the pad?

cardlady22

:* (((canid))) :heart:
I use the large rectangle Tsukineko pads and make a slight rocking motion (gently) along the longest area. There are a few points that need an occasional extra tap, but it moves very quickly once the rhythm gets going. The copper has a nice shiny reflection when the angles hit right.

Cassandra022

if your decks are untrimmed, you can do them in stacks rather than individually on the tsukeniko pads. trimmed, though, i find, is still better to do them one by one...

oh, and a general note - light and shadow tarot cardstock is NOT good for gilting. I trimmed the sides but not the top and bottom. on the untrimmed ends, the ink barely sticks (i think they laminated them a bit???) and its hard to get off the cards themselves if it gets on a bit and...grr. I think i may give up before gilting them all. fortunately, since its a light and shadow tarot, having some edges gilted in black and some left white will be a rather interesting effect itself, methinks xD

Cassandra022

here is the final result of my deviant moon experiments. decided i didn't like copper alone for this deck, so ended up doing a mish mash of silver and copper (kinda how i did pewter/black for sun and moon) and quite like the steampunkish effect...

Attachments

• gilt_DM.jpg
    gilt_DM.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 244
  • gilt_DM2.jpg
    gilt_DM2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 229
  • gilt_DM3.jpg
    gilt_DM3.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 244

cardlady22

That's perfect for the DM! Very nicely done!

strings of life

^ They look great! Love the mixed effect!

Are the tsukineko ink pads shiny shiny like chrome?! That would be awesome. The Krylon Leafing Pens are difficult to use (and WAY expensive) but give a wonderful shine; but you have to do each card individually. All 4 sides. Maybe twice; that's 624 times. I've tried to do more than one card at a time but the ink 'seeps' between the cards & ruins the deck. But with those ink pads, can you just quickly blot each side of the card onto the pad?
The Tsukineko ink pads to shine, as you can see in the images above. I used the copper one for my trimmed Tarot of the Magical Forest, which has become one of my favorites. They actually shimmer and gleam in light.

My post with images is here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2641358&postcount=97