Anyone interested in jewelry??

wizzle

I'm really sorry if I'm posting this item in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if anyone might be interested in buying gemstone earrings. I'm not ready to do this as yet, and don't have anything for sale which is why I didn't post in the usual area for shopping.

But I have a large inventory of peridot, garnet, blue topaz, etc etc. I don't want to invest in castings for earrings if there are no buyers. My thought is to charge at my cost for the castings, stones and shipping plus a nominal mark up. I saw 6mm gemstones set in 14K gold for $120US (!!!) on TV this weekend. I think I could do the equivalent (or better) for 1/2 that price.

Just so you know, gold castings are around $25 per pair and sterling silver runs $5 or less for 6mm stones. Any thoughts about what you or your friends might buy?

p.s. moderator... please move this post as needed.... sorry again if I'm in the wrong place

Alta

Hi wizzle,

As moddie both here and in Advertisements, I think (and I might corrected) that it is okay to ask for expressions of interest and suggestions here. But when you really come to sell them, it would have to be in the Advertisements Forum.

Marion
Moderator here and there

Hawks_girl_dove

I love jerlery. I have to admit, i prefer sterling silver over gold. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with when you are ready. Please keep me updated?

wizzle

Thanks for the feedback. Because I can interact with ya'll I'm in the unique position of being able to mount the very same gemstones in either sterling silver or gold. As a matter of fact, my thought at the moment is to leave the gemstones unset until I get an order. I can post a price list plus pics of the stones. Given my lousey camera skills, this will be a challenge. But I wouldn't want to sell anyone a gemstone I wouldn't wear myself. So my price list might look like this....

Peridot, amethyst, garnet 4 x 6mm ovals

Set in sterling silver $xx... set in gold $xx....

Do you like this approach?? Of course the buyer would get a little card describing the powers of that particular stone.

This last weekend I saw 6mm round amethysts, peridot and citrine set in 14K gold for $118 US plus $12 shipping on TV. And this TV channel is about 1/3 lower than the same items in a mall store. Wow!!

memries

I would be interested Wizzle, only one problem, I do not have pierced ears !
I had them but had to give it up so am back to mostly no earrings as they don't make them much anymore. I have two of pairs of Nina Ricchi.
I had diamond earrings but had to give them to my daughter as pierced did not work for me. I could however buy a pair for her if you start to make them.

Hawks_girl_dove

I think your approach sounds fine. I make minature pouches for a local shop that sells jewlery. She says that the pouches give it that personal hand made touch she likes, vs, using commercial packaging like mini ziplock bags, or boxes.

One of the 1st things i learned in cooking classes which applies in every area of marketinga nd retail is: Presentation is everything. Not only do you have to have a good and affordable product, but you want to be able to display and market it in an attractive way.

I like the idea of having small cards printed up with the properties of the gemstones. Good idea. Also you could add the properties of the gold and silver.

An idea for when you take picticture... Open a book and stand it up. Drape a piece of velvet (it doesn't have alot of shine which will reflect back) over the book and unto your table top. Then place your earings on there to take your pictures. This will give it a nice background that isnt too busy or will interfere with or distract from the earings or genstones you are trying to display. I would suggest buying a piece of black, and a piece of white velvet. This way, you can change your background color, depending on the color of stone or jewlery you are photographing.

Hope these ideas and techniques inspire you and help you!

wizzle

Thanks guys!! Your feedback is invaluable. What with memries unpierced ears, I guess I could set a few stones as pendents as well, lol. Got to keep those potential customers satisfied. And I'll keep my eyes open for non-pierced castings. I'm old enough to remember when most earrings were screw backs. Those were great and I don't understand why they are no longer popular/available. They make so much sense.

Razordance

Photographing crystals

I haven't tried this yet, but someone on another site suggested that the best way to get pics of crystals is to put them in a computer scanner and cover them with black cloth. I've had problems getting good pics of stones and this might help...

Alta

Another way is to get a mini (6 inches high) tripod. These are really cheap, mine was $12 Cdn and is worth its weight in gold. Not a lot of trouble and holds the camera rock steady which is so important if you want the details to show.

Marion

Alta

Incidentally, I am interested as well. Love earrings.