what a haul!

sleepingcat

Wheeee~ The park had a gift shop and osscasinally has some geology samples.

They just put in "parky's treasure chest" where all-you-can-stuff into a little bag for just 2.50. XD

we went a little nuts, but apparently they JUST filled it. It had all kinds of chunks, points, and tumbled stones.

Some of them were dyed, that was rather obvious but the citrine, ameythist and quartz were all lovely. we got a bunch of rocks we cant identify.

does anyone know which stone is an indgo blue, banded and semi-tranlucent?

I can get pictures up later, infact I took pictures of all of them.

...funny thing, I got a point that's either smoky quartz or a beige citrine, and the silly thing wont photograph. The camera refuses to focus on it. Other stones will sparkle and beam and smile and pose for the camera but this one utterly refuses!

anyway, I jsut wanted to share, sorry for being so rambly XD Id didnt sleep last night.

floracove

sleepingcat said:
...funny thing, I got a point that's either smoky quartz or a beige citrine, and the silly thing wont photograph. The camera refuses to focus on it. Other stones will sparkle and beam and smile and pose for the camera but this one utterly refuses!
Maybe it's a phantom quartz!
;)
:D

Great haul!
Enjoy!

Alta

Sounds great. I saw a whole table of stones on Brier Island when I was in Nova Scotia this past summer, but traveling by airplane, I just couldn't face the weight. I already had a very heavy suitcase because of staying so long. sniff.

Looking forward to the pics.

wumpkie

Ooooooo exciting :D I love things like that :)

MCsea

Agates are often banded but so to is fluorite - could be a very indigo colour

cant wait to see the pics

MARINA

mysticmonkey

Sounds exciting. Was it kinda like when you buy "pic a mix" (do you guys get pix a mix?) where you are trying to work out the best way to cram in as much into all of the gaps as possible? lol

does anyone know which stone is an indgo blue, banded and semi-tranlucent?
I was also thinking possibly fluorite.

HearthCricket

This sounds like a fun bunch of goodies! I can't wait to see pics. I also think it could be flourite. If it wasn't translucent I would think blue tiger eye, which is gorgeous, BTW, but I do have some see through blue and deep violet flourites.

sleepingcat

http://picasaweb.google.com/vincentsangel/TarotStuff

^_^ Everything but the spheres was from the treasure chest. The indigo one I like very much but cant name is floating around in there.

My mom and I also had a question- will the dyed rocks retain their original properties? We think they were originally clear quartz, based on the hardness and cleavage.

We also know the turquoise was enhanced, as well as the rose quartz, will this be a problem?

eee I have my share of the stash all lined up on my headboard in my room. It makes me happy just to see them around. I should smuggle some into work.

Grizabella

Those treasure chests often have dyed agates and that sounds like what your indigo blue banded one is.

The turquoise stone you feel may be enhanced is probably dyed howlite or something like that. They often substitute that for turquoise and lapis. Your rose quartz may be enhanced real rose quartz, though.

I'd say they still retain their original qualities, but you'd have to account for what substance the dye was. Do some research to see if you can find out what the dye is.

Some stones are enhanced simply by heating them. Blue topaz is one. Blue topaz is created by heating white topaz. Rubies are enhanced by heating them, which gets rid of the chatoiancy (sp?) and cloudiness and makes them more clear. Emeralds may be also done that way, but I'm not sure. Before rubies are heated, some of them are star rubies. Sapphires may be treated to make them more clear---not sure on that, but it's likely since they're the same stone as rubies except for color and star sapphires are what they are for the same reason as star rubies.

willowfox

The indigo stone looks like a lapis luzuli.

And as for the dyed stones, don't worry the colour will be okay for absolutely ages.