Are we plateauing?

velvetina

I don't have much time to post, or indeed to read, as much as I would...I suppose i would compare this forum for me as being like a most interesting magazine to look thru' on a 5-minute commute to work....some posts grab my attention; sometimes I feel inclined to respond...usually i can't see how I would add to the 'conversation'....I just enjoy the subject matter - know no one in the 'real world' who shares my interest, so I don't much mind any old post!

Chronata

If there is an Old Timers party, please let me know...I'll bring a pinata.

This is an interesting thread, and I can only answer based upon my own experiences.

I think everything "plateaus" after a while. But at least in my case, interest peaks once again after a rest period ,or a bit of time off. (call it the 4 of swords time if you like)

My interest in tarot plateaus every now and then, but then something will happen that makes me get excited again. A new deck, a new way of looking at the world, or a client reading that was out of the ordinary.

And it occurs on this forum as well.

Sometimes things will happen, and spark new excitement. And if it doesn't, then I look to myself. Sometimes I seek to get something out of the forums I call home...

and sometimes when I am not receiving anything new...then I feel it's time to give, instead.
So I will create a new way of reading or a new oracle system, or something that makes me feel that I am giving, and I feel balanced again.

I didn't really want to take time off from this place recently...unfortunately it was circumstances beyond my control that forced me to spend less time on the compute rin general.

But now that I have returned, I don't necessarily feel that there are more of the same questions...because there are always new reading threads, and games to play. There are always new decks (or old) that I haven't seen before. There are always new ideas to discover,like diamonds in the rough...and there are always sections of this forum that I don't read often enough...where even a question from last year is new to me.

euripides

And when someone's making an effort to start a conversation, join in?

It's not just about 'asking questions' - sometimes a meandering natter around a subject is good too....

Le Fanu

Yes I agree, to me it seemed more scholarly when I joined and now it feels sort of like a camp of free thought/no structure at times as far as reading idea's go.

I wonder if what is happening is not plateauing but disenchantment with tarot in general by some of the longer time members? Burn out?
I think what I begin to feel is you can't really say what you think despite what we'd alll like to think. I am constantly agog at how one expresses an opinion and the extremity of that opinion is quoted back at one. Oh god I didn't say that. Quite exasperating. Not something that happens as much in real life.

Plus - important point - when this forum appeared, did anyone have blogs? Now we can have our own personal platforms and not post here and be misquoted. There are days when I just want to go to my blog and say what I think into a vacuum. And there are so many tarot blogs around now that it lessens the urge to express ourselves here (perhaps).

euripides

There are days when I just want to go to my blog and say what I think into a vacuum. And there are so many tarot blogs around now that it lessens the urge to express ourselves here (perhaps).

If I've got a lot to say, I tend to think that way... I haven't started doing any tarot stuff on my blog, but I have an extensive collection of notes in Evernote. I feel if I write something worthwhile here it tends to vanish forever into cycberspace, never to be heard from again.

KMilliron

I'd also like to point out that life changes. I'm not as on as often as I used to be. I have recently started college, I have a job interview tomorrow, had two band practices this week with another one Saturday, and a babysitting gig on Sunday. :/ I just don't have the leisure I would like to have.

gregory

I think what I begin to feel is you can't really say what you think despite what we'd all like to think. I am constantly agog at how one expresses an opinion and the extremity of that opinion is quoted back at one. Oh god I didn't say that. Quite exasperating. Not something that happens as much in real life.
How absolutely dare you say something so inflammatory ? :mad: Where the *** are the mods ??? ;)

Plus - important point - when this forum appeared, did anyone have blogs? Now we can have our own personal platforms and not post here and be misquoted. There are days when I just want to go to my blog and say what I think into a vacuum. And there are so many tarot blogs around now that it lessens the urge to express ourselves here (perhaps).
That is probably true and rather sad, as blogs leave so little space for discussion, so people will be hearing the voices in their own heads agreeing with them... Not much opportunity for learning there....

MareSaturni

I think what I begin to feel is you can't really say what you think despite what we'd alll like to think. I am constantly agog at how one expresses an opinion and the extremity of that opinion is quoted back at one. Oh god I didn't say that. Quite exasperating. Not something that happens as much in real life.

Tell me more about it! :laugh: It seems that if you post anything 'stronger' but don't reassure people that "to each his own" and that "whatever they think is fine is fine" and fill your posts with hearts and kisses, people feel that you are attacking them personally.

I think about starting my posts nowadays with a disclaimer: "this is just a silly and small opinion, means nothing, I just want to share it because my fingers need the exercise but, really, to each his own and ultimately what you feel is right is right so, you know, don't even bother to read what I wrote, thank you."

The wonders of a blog! Yes, I know how that feels, and I found that people in blogs are much more willing to discuss the idea instead of judging the person behind them. :) And for some reason, I feel it's easier to make longer and more philosophical posts in blogs, than it is in the forum.

(I didn't know you had a blog by the way, time for me to visit it! ;))

VGimlet

As one of the oldies, I have to say that I come and go. I am definately not the forum obsessed person I was when I began coming here, heh. I drop in, look around, make a comment here and there, and off I go again.

I don't find myself thinking, 'oh, that old question again' because there is always something new to think about the question, and my opinions of certain things have changed over time as well.

I like blogs, but I have started about 20 of them, and I never keep them up. Maybe I need to do a tarot blog. Oh, wait, I think I have one somewhere. I always feel like someone waving a sign on top of a soapbox yelling into the void on my blogs.

I always have and will take everything on the forum with a grain of salt, remembering there are real people behind our avatars, and just kind of take it all in, give a little here and there when I can, and let the rest go.

I try also to be kind of careful, as I have a very STRONG personality IRL.

nisaba

May I, as a very new member, say something?
Absolutely!

So what do do? Start new threads on questions that have been delt with already one or several times? That will most likely get you the "this has been answered here and here already" comment, if the "old" people bother at all.
Old person here. Or at least, oldish. My back tends to get up if a new person tells us that tehy've been reading Tarot for two weeks and have come up with a whole novel new system, of they haven't bought their first deck yet but they think they should design a deck because tehty know so much more than anyone else. I tend not to answer every thread that pops up: sometimes I have no time, sometimes I am not interested in the question, sometimesw people who have already replied said everything I'd say, and sometimes I simply don't know.

All that being said, I welcome newcomers and their questions! This forum isn't some kind of crusty closed oldbies club. It's a forum to share ideas.

Revive the old threads? A lot of the people from the peak of activity in the Historic Forum, 2003 - 2006 or so, don't seem to be around any more, so they won't answer or discuss with you.
But others will! And I for one tend to lo-o-ove people who revive threads! Shows that they suspectyed some of us might already have discussed something, and have some some research, It's very flattering to the community generally when someone new does that, and we often find we like to revisit our old replies, and see how much we've changed, or be reminded of experiences we might have shared in the past. It's always good.

Anyway, I have the feeling it passes more or less unnoticed when you revive old threads.
Oh, no! Anything but! I love thread-rescusitation teams and thread-first aid!

And, on a side note, it is also hard to understand the history of the forum itself for a newcomer, with it's friendships,
I try to be friendly with everyone.

rivalries,
Meh. I don't do rivalry. That implies superiority/inferiority. Who cares?

conflicts,
Ditto here. What's the point of feeling negative when you could feel positive?

<gasp> Aren't we all one big group? <smile>

(which doesn't help when you try to read an old thread and half of the discussion is replaced only by the word "edited"... :) ).
I edit posts of mine all the time. It doesn't mean I posted something three times as long originally and deleted all the meaty stuff. All it means is that I'm Queen of the Typos, and missed a number of glaring errors when I was re-reading, so I went back later when I noted them. That little "edited" thingie at the bottom is automatically generated, not our way of saying "you missed out". In fact, when I come back to my posts to change actual content instead of keystrokes, I usually add more stuff!

So if you have an opinion or advice how new member should deal with this, or if there is a constructive way of dealing with it at all?
<warm smile> Don't look for problems where few or none exist, and just ENJOY! And if, through time, you find you are not enjoying one thread, or one subforum, or even one member's posts, there isn't a rule saying you have to read every single post in every single thread in every sub-forum. Read what you enjoy, as long as you enjoy it.

EDITED to add: I wanted to say what an incredibly friendly and nice forum this is. I think it is truly exceptional, so many forums are dominated by people trying to only get their point across, guarding their territory.. and here I found a spirit of sharing and kindness and openness that truly amazes me. Just to state the very positive, too!
I think it all depends. I belong to a self-suffucuency forum, too, and a backyard agriculture forum, and a personal-preference forum, and I have belonged to all of them for years longer than I've been here, and not once in all that time has any conflict happened. Oncve, in the backyard agriculture one, someone came along and reckoned he knew better than all of us, but he was just kindly trying to share his divine revelations with us poor ignorant clod-turners <warm smile>. He left after a while, and came back a year or two later, chastened and much more open.

The key is just to enjoy and not either be negative to others or try to read hints of negativity in the comments of others that might be a bit ambivalent, and if you always look for the positive, that's what you'll find wherever you go.