Are we plateauing?

le_charior

Thanks for your replies, nisaba!

And I for one tend to lo-o-ove people who revive threads! Shows that they suspectyed some of us might already have discussed something, and have some some research, It's very flattering to the community generally when someone new does that, and we often find we like to revisit our old replies, and see how much we've changed, or be reminded of experiences we might have shared in the past. It's always good.

Good to know that not everybody hates necroposting! :) In the historic forum, there are such amazing old threads, discussing the Majors one by one or the "How may they be read" threads, that I feel it would be stupid to start new ones exactly on the same card... Even if in some other cases I think i will follow the idea given earlier to start a new thread and link to older threads with similar topics so people are not intimidated by the length of a thread or how old it is, but it's also clear that you searched first. And there are so many amazing indexes here in the forum, too!

The key is just to enjoy and not either be negative to others or try to read hints of negativity in the comments of others that might be a bit ambivalent, and if you always look for the positive, that's what you'll find wherever you go.

This sums up what I take with me from this thread. Be positive and enjoy. Have a good laugh and some humor. Don't be overly sensitive.

The crowned one

The key is just to enjoy and not either be negative to others or try to read hints of negativity in the comments of others that might be a bit ambivalent, and if you always look for the positive, that's what you'll find wherever you go.

Yes, but easier said then done on occasion, especially when emotional context and beliefs come into play. You personally have derailed at least one thread of mine so badly (unintentionally I am sure) that I have deleted it. I have likely killed many many threads with my strong opinions, and lost refutes I could have learned from because of my Mod badge. I am not intentionally cold or "mean" but I get subtle feed back suggesting that on occasion.( I think I am rather funny ;) ) This feedback at first stifled my posting, then modified it, and at last I came to be at peace with it. Sometimes those with more knowledge/experience DO know more, it is all in the presentation that makes it assessable or arrogant. Yes a key is to enjoy. And a key is to keep a open mind, think with your awareness, mind, knowledge and empathy before responding viscerally. But yes Nisaba, I agree:)

euripides

<feeling very small and hot> Oops -

I'm sure we've all been guilty of that at some point. Don't worry, you've made up for it many times over with wisdom and compassion.

I used to find it very difficult if someone had a very strong personality and I'd get into frustrating battle-of-wills with people, but now I've learned much better to read personalities, I think. There's a bit of an art to 'agreeing to disagree' and asserting the value of your own opinion without dismissing anothers'. There's only a few issues now where I find it particularly hard to 'live and let live' and in those cases, usually not here on AT, I'll just avoid the thread.

Le Fanu

How absolutely dare you say something so inflammatory ? :mad: Where the *** are the mods ??? ;)
You know I'm not talking about the Mods. I think the Mod do an excellent job and I have never felt unjustifiably censored by a Mod. I simply mean other members misreading, wanting to see in posts stuff that's a bit "off" what you actually write. I take great pains never to be brusque or disrespectful but it's a minefield. But that's the same anywhere on the net. It gets tiring having to say in any post "but what matters for me may be different for you, YMMV, I'm not criticising, I'll probably get shouted down" etc etc and so forth.

ETA; totally agree with all that euripides says!

KMilliron

You know I'm not talking about the Mods. I think the Mod do an excellent job and I have never felt unjustifiably censored by a Mod.

I agree with this. As an online gamer who partakes in the clanning system and the such I have had plenty of experience with mods. I've been in gaming forums and these forums (my online class forums don't count) and anyone who has ever been in an online gaming clan can tell you how psycho those mods can get. AT mods? Not so much, haha.

gregory

You know I'm not talking about the Mods. I think the Mod do an excellent job and I have never felt unjustifiably censored by a Mod. I simply mean other members misreading, wanting to see in posts stuff that's a bit "off" what you actually write. I take great pains never to be brusque or disrespectful but it's a minefield. But that's the same anywhere on the net. It gets tiring having to say in any post "but what matters for me may be different for you, YMMV, I'm not criticising, I'll probably get shouted down" etc etc and so forth.
Oh LEFFY; you of all people should realise I was trying to shout you down EXACTLY in the way you said you get shouted down for being controversial. Clearly I have lost my touch - or you your humour radar ! :( :*

I like the mods fine. And goodness knows I meet them a lot :|

Barleywine

I used to find it very difficult if someone had a very strong personality and I'd get into frustrating battle-of-wills with people, but now I've learned much better to read personalities, I think. There's a bit of an art to 'agreeing to disagree' and asserting the value of your own opinion without dismissing anothers'. There's only a few issues now where I find it particularly hard to 'live and let live' and in those cases, usually not here on AT, I'll just avoid the thread.

It's probably safe to say that, since well over 99% of us will never have any interaction with one another outside of this forum, it's perfectly OK to just walk away from a particularly annoying thread. I don't use the "ignore" option since there's always hope the offending poster was merely going through a bout of temporary insanity - or indigestion - and may have something worthwhile to say later. Occasional arrogance I've come to expect, since not all of us have had the juvenile hubris sanded off by life yet. It's the self-righteous smugness that gets to me, especially the "If it FEELS right, it must BE right, and I don't care what anyone else thinks" mentality. There was a lot of that around during the "false Spring" that began with the "New Age" delusion and quickly dead-ended into the "Me Generation." It's the same sort of paradigm (I think John Cleese once acerbically called it "Philistine pig-ignorance") that drives religious fundamentalism, except that it's merely a "stain on the credibility of Tarot" and not a "cancer on the spirit of humanity."

And if we keep this up, we'll drive this topic right off the plateau and straight up the side of the mountain :D.

inanna_tarot

I personally think one of the most heart warming things about this thread is how much we are about AT as a community, as an entity of all our tarot knowledge, skill and development.. And its all here in some random bit of cyberspace, a few bits of memory on a server.

I just love how something so small physically, has brought so many hearts and minds together over the years, and that we want it to keep doing that for a long time yet! As a community we all upset and annoy eachother, like a family, but we are there for one another with questions and advice and banter when its needed.

Now isnt that nice!?!?

Laura Borealis

I edit posts of mine all the time. It doesn't mean I posted something three times as long originally and deleted all the meaty stuff. All it means is that I'm Queen of the Typos, and missed a number of glaring errors when I was re-reading, so I went back later when I noted them. That little "edited" thingie at the bottom is automatically generated, not our way of saying "you missed out". In fact, when I come back to my posts to change actual content instead of keystrokes, I usually add more stuff!

Not to detract from your lovely and warm post, nisaba, but I got the feeling they weren't talking about posts that have simply been edited, but rather cases where the entire post has been deleted and replaced by the single word, "edited." There is one old (and long gone) member in particular who comes to mind, who wiped out vast quantities of her own words in this way. She evidently had her reasons, though I don't know what they were; nevertheless the gaping holes in what were once very interesting conversations are disconcerting.

I have to admit, I have done the post deletion thing myself once or twice, because I was feeling stupid and/or insecure.