Asianesque?

blue_fusion

I've noticed there haven't been much asian-themed decks-in-progress recently, and, well, I just want to share some stuff I've been working on. 2 decks, actually, both with an (a)eclectic feel. One's called the Tarot of the Curious East, it's, well, what I refer to as cultural collaging - I picked several visual thematic elements from various asian cultures and merged them together in Tarot form (for example, in the Devil card pictured, the "Devil" is a mix of the Indian moon-swallowing Rahu and the Southeast Asian Rangda, while the people in the same card are from the Indonesian shadow puppet of wayang kulit). And, as an added artistic experiment, I chose landscape for the deck's orientation.

For the second deck, I picked a southeast asian theme - which in itself is heavily influenced by Austronesian, Indian, Chinese, and even Moslem cultures - though it's slightly leaning more towards an Indo-Malay-filipino (indigenous) feel. I call it Tarot Rikit (which means "pretty" in the Tagalog language of the Philippines). Hopefully I can achieve that borderless look when it comes to cutting the actual cards.

Here are samples of some finished cards:

Tarot of the Curious East: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/necromancer151/CURIOUS_SAMPLES.jpg

Tarot Rikit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/necromancer151/RIKITSAMPLES.jpg

More when my internet returns (posting this via internet cafe).

tarotmama

Both are super fantastic!! I love the landscape orientation in the Curious East as well as the panels. And the texture of the second one -- very nice. Lovely colors, of course.

Very, very gorgeous!

Moonboy

Your work is beyond amazing, Lynyrd! Both decks are fabulous!

AprilFool

Where do I sign up to purchase the Curious East when it's done??? The landscape orientation and the amazing detail have me truly on the edge of my set for more! I like the other one, too; but the Curious East is my favorite of the two, hands down!

Ambergree

I *LOVE** it! It looks like you also extensively researched and applied historical meanings to the individual cards....I really dislike when people don't use research!

The colors are brilliant, the linework intricate and carefully placed. Good luck with the rest!

AmethystEyes

Not my style but I still like it. Love the colors.

aja

I love them both, but I am especially fond of the Curious East! I like both the symbolism, the coloration/textures, and the craftmanship. they're both beautiful!
So.....when can I get one????

Chronata

As usual, your work is just utterly astounding. You are so prolific, and each new creation seems even more appealing than the last one!

The Curious East has your superb use of bright colors...and the screen idea, on a landscape orientation is genius.

And the Rikit is lovely for your use of textures. I really feel like I want to touch these cards...they look as if they would feel like the soft cotton textiles of the areas. Borderless really suits your work as well.

keep up the always amazing work!

hippiewitchie

Excuse me while I wipe up drool.

absolutely beautiful. You do such lovely work.

truelighth

I love them both! Really, you are such a talented artist. Looking forward to also one day hold these gems in my greedy paws :D.

Btw, if there any news on the Eventide Tarot you were working on?