Astrology software ?

ncefafn

Report writers

Holmes, I think most intermediate to advanced astrologers would discourage you from using a report writer to "get started" because it's a crutch that quickly becomes an appendage. If a baby is just starting to walk, you don't give him crutches to help, because then he'll walk funny for the rest of his life. Look at Eye-gor.

If you want a good basic text that's fun and easy to read, and yet still gives you glimmers of the sophistication of advanced astrology, print out your and your friends' chart drawings and then pick up Debbi Kempton-Smith's SECRETS FROM A STARGAZER'S NOTEBOOK. I've been studying astrology for over 20 years, and I still refer back to this book when I need a primer.

Best,

Kim

Minderwiz

Report writers are very useful programs for the professional or serious amateur - IF you adapt them, rather than simply run the default settings.

As Kim suggests, for a beginner these programs have an inherent danger - rather than work the interpretations for yourself, you may give in to the temptation to simply go by the default interpretations bundled with the program. It is possible to learn from these, so I wouldn't use the word 'crutch' BUT you will learn so much more by doing the interepretations yourself.

I have a report writer program but I very rarely use the built in intrepretation and only then as a basis for an edit. What they can bring is a lot of features not found in the freebies. However for a beginner these features may well not be worth the money.

Start with a basic chart generator and do your own interpretations. When you feel you know what you are doing then look for something more advanced if you really feel the need.

HOLMES

well,

as you can see in my other thread i go by the astrology for beginners book by william w. hewit. but in my other thread in personality readings i used the books to understand the houses but then i added in my own stuff. (typing it out wears out the fingers but teaches me so much i agree).

aye i think just a simple chart writer would do for i am not looking at predictive astrolgy (got our free will for that ) but the plans we set up for our own lives before we were born.

M-Press

Hi!
Since I have a Mac too, i can not use any of the "serious" programs, and the one by timecycles did not seem right for me...
SO, i keep using astro.com!

I have learned so much from their interpretations actually... i have been following transits for friends and family, and checking compatiabilities, and all that.
I'm very satisfied for now, since i don't wish to become an astrologer, but just to learn till I die kind of thing...

If you haven't tried it Holmes, then I would suggest you give it a try!
There are many options to paly with at the "extended charts" link.
Enjoy!

Lee

Holmes, you may want to read the following:

http://www.astrologysoftwareshop.com/charting/choosing-student.htm

This is a site that sells all the various astrology programs. The author of the article says she basically learned astrology by using a particular feature of Solar Fire (Winstar Express also has the feature) where when you display the chart, you can double-click on any planet and get a short interpretation of the planet by sign or house, or also click on two planets and get an interpretation of the aspect. This seems like it would be a good way to learn; you could look at the chart on the screen, think about what your interpretation of the planet-sign-house combination would be, then double-click and compare your interpretation with the program's.

The site seems like a good place to buy software from, but be sure to compare the prices with the manufacturers' sites which are listed earlier in this thread.

Hope this helps -

-- Lee

Lee

Lee said:
The website for Matrix, which sells Winstar Express, is actually www.astrologysoftware.com.

-- Lee :)
I was researching different software packages, and I was reading this old thread, and I noticed that I need to correct what I posted here. Www.astrologysoftware.com is the American distributor of Winstar. The site Moongold quoted, www.matrixsoftware.com, is the European distributor, and thus Moongold was absolutely correct when she referred to that site, and so I humbly apologize to Moongold.

I found a good deal on Winstar. At www.astrologysoftwareshop.com, they're selling the latest version of Winstar Plus for $99, and they throw in Winstar Express for free. So I've ordered it.

I'll be taking a little break from the Aeclectic Forums. Best wishes to everyone! :)

Take care --
Lee

gloria

Lee said:
I'll be taking a little break from the Aeclectic Forums. Best wishes to everyone! :) Take care --Lee
Well I for one hope it is just a short break Lee....look forward to your return. Gloria.

Tor

I've tried many softwares, but must say that the one from world of wisdom is the most accurate. So say people who I've given a horoscope to, too.

Adrian Duncan is a gifted astrologer.

http://www.world-of-wisdom.com/

M-Press

Oh, thank you Balder for the link!
For one thing, their articles seem very interesting, and the programs they offer seem to cover many levels....
I wonder if they are suitable for Mac too...
But what "got" to me most, is the design!!!
FINALLY, an astrological site with a contamporary clean look, without all the usual stardust!!!
;)

jmd

Probably the best available software for the Mac - and assessments by various reviewers tend to compare it favourably when various comparisons to Solar Fire have been made - is one mentioned earlier by krysia322: