Attention, edgers, gilders, and blingers: what are your tools of choice?

Thoughtful

l have Kat Blacks Golden Tarot its the first tarot l ever bought way back when it first came out. The cardstock is still brilliant but the edges are losing their gilding. So recommendations please on a really good product that will refresh them.
Also l have this sense that l would really love to use gilding actually on the card images. Just a little here and there, like on the Sun card or the Halo's that surround the heads of the Angels. What could l use and would it work on the images, l fear the shuffling may do damage.
Any suggestions would be very welcome as l want to bling up the deck a little and bring it out of its tired looking state.

LindaMechele

Just thought I'd let y'all know that Joann's has all their stamp pads and inks on sale for 30% off. I'm not sure when the sale ends - I looked, but couldn't find anything clear (Edited to add: just checked and it's still going on as of Wednesday, July 29).

The Tsukineko Encore Ultimate Metallic small ink pads are only $1.74! And the Tsukineko Brilliance pads are $6.29. They even have some Tim Holtz Distress Inks including these minis for $2.44.

But wait! There's more! Use the 20% off entire sale including on-sale items coupon and get even more off (I tried it just now in my cart and it definitely includes even sale things - for me, it was enough to cancel out the shipping charges).

The color selection may not include all the makers offer of each one, ut there's a good selection. And the Encore Ultimate Metallics only have color swatches and not "true color" pictures so you won't know for sure what colors you're getting. But I looked extensively online at other photos of those Encore inks and liked them all, so since it was only about $17 (+ $7 shipping) to get one of each of the Encores, I did just that.

AJ

Linda is being sucked into the maw of the altering beast!

gilding actually on the card images. Just a little here and there, like on the Sun card or the Halo's that surround the heads of the Angels. What could l use and would it work on the images, l fear the shuffling may do damage.
Any suggestions would be very welcome as l want to bling up the deck a little and bring it out of its tired looking state.

I've tried quite a few products and always found finger nail polish best. If you hold the card up horizontally with your eyes you can see a bump, but who ever looks at their cards that way?

A very fine glittered white and/or yellow for light reflections. Clear glittered was rather pointless, not enough oomph.

When doing whole decks I found tiny bottles of polish at Sally's Beauty supply, their own brand and priced at a dollar or less.

Leave them sit out individually to dry and cure for a day. It will never wear off, nor make the cards difficult to shuffle.

Thoughtful

Thanks AJ good tip l really would like to have them boosted up a bit. l will try this out on a deck a l don't mind spoiling and see how it goes.

LindaMechele

Linda is being sucked into the maw of the altering beast!
Yep, I'm in trouble. I can hear the theme music from Jaws behind me.
I think I'm going to need a bigger bank balance.
*and off she goes to Sally Beauty Supply for nail polish*

shadowdancer

I have blinged a few decks, mainly through edging. Only one Lenormand deck was given the nail polish treatment and it looked okay, but I was not happy my skills were enough to make it really sing and be perfect enough (if that makes sense)

The latest edging was with a Bic Stephens vivid.

I have to say I got on well with it, and for some reason found it easier to control than the Sharpie I have used in the past. Is a nice black too.

Previous ones were done with buff 'n' rub (I think that was the name) and although I liked them, boy was it incredibly messy and was difficult to keep off the card front and rear. Having said that it has great staying power and comes with great colours.

Piccie is of the bic deck - the circle is just from the camera flash.

Attachments

• edged deck.jpg
    edged deck.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 267

daenys

So many gorgeous decks in this thread!

Any thoughts on Staedtler Lumocolor / Pentel permanent markers to use for black edging?

Scarlet Woodland

Was just wondering if anyone had used Tsukineko Brilliance in Moonlight White for edging.

Actually bought this to stamp snowflakes on my Christmas wrapping paper but it's too sheer for the job so considering using it for a kiss of shimmer on the edges of my Baba Alice Tarot.

Also reminded me of peeps asking about something to 'clean up' the edges of a slightly grubby, white edged deck. Wondered if this might do the trick.

schizandra

I'm interested in gilding a couple of my decks with the Tsukineko Brilliance inkpads. I'm worried that shuffling will rub the metallic stuff off. Can anybody give me their experience on how their DIY gilding held up to normal use?

Scarlet Woodland

I'm interested in gilding a couple of my decks with the Tsukineko Brilliance inkpads. I'm worried that shuffling will rub the metallic stuff off. Can anybody give me their experience on how their DIY gilding held up to normal use?

I've had no trouble at all with my brilliance blinged decks... not a single sparkle or smear :) Handling with damp hands could obviously be an issue but I doubt any deck would enjoy that much.