bad deck?

Umbrae

Ah the lovely Crowley/Harris Thoth.

Not to be confused with the Etteilla Thoth.

Okay – for newbies who don’t know me, I’ve been reading since ’72.

I’ve never ‘charged’ a deck, I’ve never ‘cleared’ a deck. I’ve never ‘cleaned’ a deck.

Myself, I think all those are myths.

However they may help – simply because the user THINKS that such actions will help. It’s my observation and opinion that the deck reflects the intent and life mood of the user.

If your deck is negative all the time, don’t blame the deck (imo).

I’ve gone through the same stuff. Bad deck, dark readings, bleak outlooks…switch decks…same thing…change mind set – and everything changes.

The other thing is, keep asking the same questions over and over – and you will get nasty answers eventually (even your subconscious knows you’re just playing the odds with fate eventually).

And lastly, not every reading shall be earth shattering. Sometimes we get bland readings because…well…ain’t nothin’ earth shattering going on.

And as for Crowley? Ya really gotta read between the lines on the shyte he wrote. Take it at face value at thine own risk.

Bloudwedd

Umbrae said:
It’s my observation and opinion that the deck reflects the intent and life mood of the user.

Here you really summed it up well something that have been botehring me for quite a while! I have had a hard time to see why 78 pieces of paper could have such a different "personality" from each other and from well even the neutrality you would expect. But I guess as you put it, it might very well be possible for someone when he/she starts working with a deck to "charge" it with his/hers own current energy and first impression of the deck right? So when the work continuous the mood is allready set and may or may not be enhanced down the road. Which then do not lead me to be that suprised that the Tothdeck in itself are from what I have heard the most common deck to go "bad". Because the images are very complex (Aka maybe even scary) and some may even have heard about his life and living which adds to the influence. Hmm, very interesting....!

Bloudwedd

When it comes to "good or bad" authors and artitsts for a tarot deck I am a firm believer that the less we know the better. That really for me influences the mood and first impression of a deck believe me. You would not believe the really nasty (to in style with A.C but still..) things the artists of the Swedish Witch Tarot deck are doing. Brrr! I love the artist but that author just clouds everything for me.... Could never by that deck:-( It is much like you do not want to know too much about your favorite actor because if you do you have to bring him down from his piedestal and realise he is just human after all!

Debra

Intentions matter to me.

Umbrae

Bloudwedd said:
...Which then do not lead me to be that suprised that the Tothdeck in itself are from what I have heard the most common deck to go "bad". Because the images are very complex (Aka maybe even scary) and some may even have heard about his life and living which adds to the influence. Hmm, very interesting....!
I think a good term for the Crowley Thoth images (not to be confused with the Original Thoth images found in the Etteilla Book of Thoth) are unsettling. There are odd things in the background that describe odd geometry, angles do not add to ninety degrees.

The Crowley/Harris Thoth imagery is very Dionysian. That alone could point the uninitiated in an uncomfortable position.

Bloudwedd

Umbrae said:
I think a good term for the Crowley Thoth images (not to be confused with the Original Thoth images found in the Etteilla Book of Thoth) are unsettling. There are odd things in the background that describe odd geometry, angles do not add to ninety degrees.

The Crowley/Harris Thoth imagery is very Dionysian. That alone could point the uninitiated in an uncomfortable position.

Heh! I was thinking this yesterday allready before you made your post, but now I have fecided for sure: I AM going to get myself a Toth deck! Just BECAUSE ^^. We wll have to see if I start reading with it or not. But I for sure am now intrigued enough to study it!

Ange

He frequently committed animal sacrifices in his boarding house. He tortured a cat just to see if it had "nine lives".

Quote from chapter 6:
>> I therefore caught a cat, and having administered a large dose of arsenic I chloroformed it, hanged it above the gas jet, stabbed it, cut its throat, smashed its skull and, when it had been pretty thoroughly burnt, drowned it and threw it out of the window that the fall might remove the ninth life.<<

Some of his woman hating comments are such that I could not repeat them here.

He talks (a lot) about the dangers of "mixed blood".

Quote from chapter 34:
>> It was atrocious folly to allow Indians to come to England to study, to mix freely with our women, often to marry or seduce them.<<

His attitude toward the handicapped? Quote from Liber AL:
>>We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak<<

In his own words he tells how he cheated the poor people who worked for him in China. On a mountain climbing trip, he heard people shouting who were trapped in an avalanche but he did not help them because he was already in his tent with his boots off. They died.

He repeated the charge against the Jews that has gotten so many killed, by saying (in 2 different books) that Jews were committing human sacrifice. In his diary (See July 29, 1943) He stated that "Mein Kampf" was a masterpiece and claimed that Hitler had taken his ideas.

--------------------------

I always had it in my mind that Crowley was one son of a bitch......but others have said how he was full of insight and his teachings were wonderful...

Having read the above I am astounded on just how sick the man was.

Glyn's business is disabled transport, and the disabled elderly and young kids that he transports are some of the nicest, kindest folks you would meet anywhere. One lad that can't move at all and can only moan as a way of communtcation did motor bike cross country stuff....like some folks sons on here might do. He came off, and his carsh hat was less that useless....and he is paralised and brain damaged...but he undersatnds things.....

My cat recently had his little skull smashed when a car hit him....he lived a few minutes after.

I mean no offence here, but I am amazed that in this sick society of muggins, robberies, murders etc that we are discusted with, that someone like this sick man would be hero worshiped as he is. He should have been institutionalised and never let out. Words escape me at the mo...
Ang x

Aeon418

Ange said:
I always had it in my mind that Crowley was one son of a bitch......but others have said how he was full of insight and his teachings were wonderful...
Reading Crowley is a self selecting process. If you read him with full attention you can spot his outrageous comments, jokes, and blinds. If you can't pay attention, if you take every statement at face value, if you can't see beyond your own biases, if you can't think for yourself, you are precisely the kind of person Crowley's writings are intended to scare away, misdirect, and confuse. It really is that simple.

dc_newb9

I read almost exclusively with the Thoth. It's an incredible deck, and Crowley/his personal life has nothing to do with it or my readings.

Mariana

Ange said:
I mean no offence here, but I am amazed that in this sick society of muggins, robberies, murders etc that we are discusted with, that someone like this sick man would be hero worshiped as he is. He should have been institutionalised and never let out. Words escape me at the mo...
Ang x
I don't know a lot about the man, but I have the impression that quite a bit of what he said was only tongue-in-cheek show, playing the 'bad guy' and overdoing it so that it becomes ironic again. Then again, that doesn't mean you have to like his sense of humour. People have different styles and if you're more of a sensitive, gentle nature that's fine too. But I don't really think that all the eccentric stuff he said means that he's basically a nasty person, just that he had a weird sense of humour and enjoyed attention, creating puzzles and setting people on the wrong track. Well, he was certainly very intelligent. Don't know if he was actually 'nice' or even really stable. And anyway, he may just not be your kind of guy, of course. (Don't think I'd feel like having a cup of coffee with him either.)