Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

Demonesse

Much better, especially with the gate/grate. I like the printed fabric, actually, and the brighter, more detailed book looks much better.

But all the same, too bright. I understand it needs to be baroque, but it just doesn't have that HP feel for me! Very hard to look at the picture above the HP's head and not think the figure's holding both a sun and moon - the "god's light" is arguably appropriate in meaning, but not visually. IThe gate and picture together does make the card look busy.

I still think if you made the area above the wall a night sky, or some dark velvet curtains - something to inspire mystery and depth - it'd be wonderful. Also, I don't like the angel (and especially its expression) - I think a cherub in the HP card is odd. Compare it with the previous card - it takes focus away from the main figure, which already seems smaller than the cats in the other cards.

I'm definitely the worst nit-picker of you all - shall probably get banned soon from this thread for hindering the next Aeclectic Deck Of The Year...honestly, I'm not trying to darken every card, but just stating what I like - of course, not every suggestion will be accepted and it is understood that in the end, it's yours - and not anyone else's - pet (pun unintended) project. :)

Mimers

This High Priestess is perrrrrfect. I love this one. Her gown is like water.

Great job!

baba-prague

Demonesse said:
Very hard to look at the picture above the HP's head and not think the figure's holding both a sun and moon - the "god's light" is arguably appropriate in meaning, but not visually.

Hi Demonesse - but that's because it's a smallish resolution and on-screen There will be no problem seeing this image properly in print (she is very distinctly pointing not holding in fact - and her expression is interesting) - the original photo is very high resolution and we keep all our cards at much higher resolution than average, simply because detail is important in our work.

If I had more time I would put up crops of some of these details, but if I did that I'd never get the deck done!

But thanks for your comments :)

edited to say - and of course you won't be banned! Heavens, everyone is entitled to their opinion - it's visual and symbolic work, it won't gel with everyone - ever!

baba-prague

Mimers said:
This High Priestess is perrrrrfect. I love this one. Her gown is like water.

Great job!

Not sure if she is quite perfect - but thanking you! I think she is very nearly there now - though I get surprises with last-minute changes sometimes. We tried to make the gown both watery and suggestive of sky - sort of something that could be either. I hope the pattern will show up in the final print - it has some meaning, though I wouldn't call it a major part of the card.

baba-prague

Very quickly...
it's almost eleven again and we need to get home (and see the kittens :) )

Here is Strength. I have also put a closeup of the "cross lion" though I'm afraid without doing a bit of work I can't show him at more detailed high res. In reality he has a very cross expression - as you would too if someone put a pillar on your head. (and the woman is lin fact less grumpy looking - fortunately.)

Sooner or later (probably later to be honest) I will try to get some more close-ups, at higher res, up on the website - when that finally is up and running...

Will we have a cross-looking lion in every deck? (I say this thinking of ToP Two of Swords) - you know I think we just might.

I know this Strength is another slightly unconventional image - but this deck needs to assert its own character somehow :) - this is a whole baroque cat world after all ... and things are not the same as in our world ;-)

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_strengthforweb.jpg

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_lioncloseup.jpg

Hedera

Aaah, this one I like!

:D

Although, in my mind, the woman is removing the pillar - but that doesn't really matter, does it? ;)

Lovely cat, also. The way she is holding that beast reminds me of giving medications to my cat......

Melvis

I liked the old HP, and I like the new HP even more. The print on the skirt really does add to the card. I am unsure about the cherub as well, but I think in the final card it will really make it look complete.

And the look on the face of the Strength cat is wonderful! Great card overall.

Since Hedera brought up giving medication to a cat, I thought I'd reference this thread from Diana for those who haven't yet read it. It is one of my all time favorites! I still laugh like crazy when I read it! :D

Congrats on the kitties!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Astra

I have no problem with the fabric - the deck is so much at a high level of "fuss" (excuse the word, it's not meant negatively) that anything unornamented draws the eye. My only question is whether a standard size deck will be large enough to let most people see the intricacies you've put in. A 3x6 card would be great, but think of the problems shuffling!

baba-prague

Detail

Yes, well, you know the Baroque is about as ornate as it gets LOL. We won't always ornament, but definitely ornamentational fits with the deck.

Size? Hmm, I am wondering about this too. The cards will be bigger than ToP but not by much - in other words, bigger than, for example, a standard Lo Scarebeo deck, BUT we want them to be shuffleable, so I have made them as big as I dare.

We are hoping to do a very small special edition too - with really big cards, but that wouldn't really be for use. I imagine many people will frame it or just keep it as part of a collection. Whether it's practical for us to go ahead with this I'm not sure, it partly depends if we can get the quality we really want on a hand-made deck - and also of course on whether there is a demand for it.

Oh - decisions, decisions!

____

by the way, Lotte is now eating again, but still terribly put out and wanders about at night mumbling crossly to herself. Still growls and hisses each time she glimpses a kitten. It's true - she doesn't like change!

skytwig

I have been offline since Saturday and this was the first forum I HAD to get to....... :)

So happy about Minnie's delivery!!! Wuhoooooo!!! How are the kitties? (Including Lotte...... poor dear)

I love the Strength card!!!!

PS: Yes, PM me Karen about my training. Would love to chat about it. :)