Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

M-Press

I love the idea that invisible Alex- creates invisible details!
;)

baba-prague

M-Press said:
I love the idea that invisible Alex- creates invisible details!
;)

Trust me - Alex is VERY visible in the studio!
I have asked him to post here, but his argument is that his English is not good enough to be able to read the replies quickly and that if he doesn't read the replies, people will think he is being impolite. I find it hard to argue with this!

I may manage to get him to say something sometime (he did do the Tarot Garden interview). He is not really keen on publicity - we were recently asked if we wanted to submit work for a book edited by THE famous New York graphic designer - and Alex said no. I actually quite like this attititude :) - though it does shock some people. In the West we are all so focused on making our name and all that. Ah well, too much to say about all this and this is not the place :)

M-Press

oh, baba...
I actually think it's great that Alex keeps a low profile, while you get to be the chatty one...
It adds such mystery to the whole thing...and we know how Tarot and mystery go together...!
besides, if he starts to post here, he'll be addicted, and have no time to work on the cards!!!!!
So, I'm sure he's excused, by more people than me....
and I still love that he creates invisible details! It's so suitable to the situation!
Can't wait to discover them!!!

full deck

linescreen

baba-prague said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "line screen"? It won't be screen printed. But am I misunderstanding? Let me know and I'll try to answer.

We print at very high resolution (it's the reason we use the main art printers for the region - they understand very high quality reproduction). For most cards the resolution is 450. It's high I know, but it needs to be. As far as colour is concerned, we will actually be there ourselves during the test prints - again, colour is important in this deck (we use some really bright jewel colours).
Linescreen is how many lines of dots appear per linear inch on a printed piece or negative. Also called "lines per inch" or "lpi." Common presses range from 80 lpi to 200 lpi. Higher line screens allow more detail in photos and graphics, thus I was wondering if you would be doing the press run at a higher line screen. It sounds like you are printing at least at 200 lpi, which is usually what people use for reproductions of paintings and whatnot. That should work out really well!

baba-prague

Thanks full deck. I am NOT the print person of the partnership, that's very much Alex. I've now asked him about this and he says we are using 200 LPI. Tarot of Prague used 175, but the new deck has still more detail.

He also doesn't know the term "line screen" I'd guess it's just called something different here (like it took me a long time to work out what people meant when they talked about "smick" in this region :) *)

I'm more used to being asked about screen resolution (most of my background is in on-screen and HCI/multimedia). We keep a very high screen resolution indeed and we're often told it's not necessary, but well, for real detail it just is - we've all seen decks printed from low-res files and it really does sometimes ruin them.
I wish people would be more wary of collaging stuff from the web. Anyway, that's another topic!

* "smick" is what "CMYK" is called here - I laughed so much when I finally caught on!

Astra

baba-prague said:
"smick" is what "CMYK" is called here - I laughed so much when I finally caught on!

Neat. I have this feeling that I'm going to be using that in the future - it's at least as reasonable as wizziwig.

Astra

Oh, goody, a street brawl up and around the loggia! I particularly like the expression on the left-hand bravo's face - "Wheeee!"

HudsonGray

And the orangey guy in the background too!

I had to break one of these up under the window last night, two decided to go at it under the bushes & one kept getting thrown against the house wall just the other side of the computer. I ran out & yelled & they took off in two directions. Must have left their wands behind though! I didn't see anything in their paws when they tore off.

baba-prague

Hah! Yes, I've been kept awake by a few of these too. My own orange cat (years ago now) used to get involved, but he was a sweetie and no fighter. The next morning all you'd see was orange hair all over the grass - no other colour! Poor chap.

We have the sweetest ginger cat you've ever seen on the Seven of Pentacles. He is a slightly anxious - but proud - gardener. I swear some of these characters are beginning to have histories and stories of their own. But I suppose that's what tarot images are about really.

Now I'm on to the Eight of Cups. Somehow I have to do that card as a female. What does that say I wonder? Anyway, she is dressed and waiting to be included. We've ended up redressing and rephotographing a lot of these latter cards - but hopefully that's a good sign and means we have an increasingly clear idea of what we want.