Baton.

Moonbow

eugim, this link doesn't work.

Kircher Tree

The baton is like the force of life that is strongest for the young. See the huge wand of the Valet. But the older dryer sticks can make the most hot fire.

Bernice

The baton is like the force of life that is strongest for the young. See the huge wand of the Valet.
I never noticed this - you're right!

Now remembering that the Batons were originally Polo Sticks, so they were used by strapping young 'warriors'. Can this mean that the suit of Batons are 'strongest' at the Ace (one) and 'weakest' at the King??? Physically speaking... maybe the higher pips and the Courts have 'active' thoughts/inspiration instead of physical activity.

Bee

Moonbow

I've shown the Payen Batons for us see the Marseilles cards in numerological sequence, although its not always the way I look at a suit:

payenace2345batonsmg2.png
payen678910batonsyk4.png

payenvaletknightqueenkige2.png

I sometimes see the Ace of a deck as the strongest/largest/most powerful etc.. because it isn't splintered or diluted down which is how we can look at the other pips in a suit.

By contrast, and as a useful exercise, I have reversed the Royals because its interesting to see how their body language is altered and therefore how we would interpret them when doing a reading:

picture6kj2.png

Bernice

Thank you moonbow :)

Now that is verrrrry interesting. The courts all have different Batons.

The valet has a great hefty club-shaped one. It touches the ground (any significance in that?).

The Knight has smaller stick-shaped one. (Carrying the 'emblem' of the suit like a heraldic device?)

The Queen has a mighty one with a round/ball shaped top. She also looks as if she's bashed herself in the eye with it. Circular top = female?

The king has an impressive lance-shaped one. Arrow/pointed end = male?
His one is pointed at the ground.

perhaps the Valet & King are the most 'practical' ? (ground orientated).

Bee

EDITED: Re, earlier post - replace "inspiration" with "aspiration". Seems to fit better.

Moonbow

Great observations Bernice, the batons held by the Valet and the Cavalier are certainly more natural then those held by the Queen and King... naturally, as befits their station, they get the fancy ones. :)

Interesting thoughts on the shapes of them as well, I don't recall that being mentioned on here before. I also find the way they hold them to tell something of their place in life. The Valet shows his as though stating who he works for, the Cavalier offers his as a statement of who he is in service to and has allegiance to, the Queen holds her to show her position, and the King appears to be stamping his to state his word.

Bernice

The Queen looks sad (or battered), as though her position is a burden.. or maybe it's just a bad drawing/carving whatever.

Yes, Moonbow. The manner in which they appear with the suit emblem seems valid. Good idea, that's probably what the designer meant them to be doing!

Bee

EDIT: What's that she's got on her lap?

eugim

Many thanks Moonbow for the images.
1-Is Jean Payen or Jean Pierre Payen ?
2-Is there a web site to download the entirely deck ?

-Bee:
1-For me the Queen is pregnant as the Queen of EPEE

miguelito