Vi- L AMOVREVX (XX)=LE IVGEMENT

eugim

VI- LOVE IS THE KING

1-Does this card depict an adultery scene ?
2-Is the Master of the young boy advicing him ?
3-Is the Girl his true love after all ?
4-After all must the young boy leave both supposed situations and follow his Heart/Soul advice and go ahead or become a figure of salt ?
5-Then if he decide not to be that may be he become the sure warrior at VII card...

Bernice

Using the Noblet (Flornoy) deck:

1- Adultery? There are no rings on the ladies fingers that I can see (?).

I think they are both enticing him.
a: The lady on the left with riches &/or social standing. She wears a laural wreath of success in her hair.
b: The Lady on the right, with flowers in her hair, is appealing to his emotions, his heart.

2 - Who is is his 'master'? Now, if the 'master' is the Pope in the previous card, then the master is looking at the blind-folded Cupid. Is he watching the boy, and seeing that he is beset with 'earthly desires'. So is sending him a blessing in order to 'influence' the boy to make a spiritual choice?

3 - The lady on the right would seem to be the wiser choice... but if the boy is on a 'spiritual path' then neither of them are the correct choice.

4 - Leave both of them? Probably... see above.

5 - If he leaves/ignores both ladies: Will he then become 'master' of himself? One who is able to perceive the difference between earthly things and spiritual things, and follow a path of integrity? In the Noblet, the fellow in the chariot is looking (back?) at where he was in the Lover(V) card.
---
If there's a story-sequence to these cards then what might the next card (Justice(V111)) mean?

Bee :)

eugim

Bee:
(Only just for me of course)

1-The figure of the left: The Master
2-The young boy: The disciple
3-The Cupid: The Temptation

karenquilter

I've always wondered if the young man was choosing between his mother & his girl friend. Some people find it hard to break away from their parents.

MaureenH

Looks like a similar red-sleeved arm, or is it arms, reaching in the Pope card, and the man in the middle surely resembles the charioteer.

Could be a choice between a girlfriend or a parent or an adulterous quagmire, though, I think it's possible for it to also represent a group of friends and the love necessary to exist in harmony. While it's not called adultery when friends break up, or co-exist in a group, it seems to me it can be just as complicated and painful.

And if you think of adultery as giving a disporportionate allegiance to something other than one's betrothed or God, I think it could work for the internal workings of an individual who puts his/her goals or happiness aside for a lesser reward (whatever one's personal temptation as compared to one's path is). That is how I see this card for myself sometimes. I suppose cupid aims for hearts, but if I didn't know any better I'd almost think that hand reaching for the heart might be the target of that arrow. So, yes, I agree that sometimes love involves the choice of not choosing.

Yet, even if he doesn't ignore or leave both if it is a love triangle, I think it's possible for him to lead a life of integrity eventually if not simultaneously. The charioteer certainly looks all business and seems to have reigned in that emotion, but he is looking back, too. It may be his armor helps safeguard something within in addition to protecting him from exterior assaults and arrows, cupids or others. Also could be he needs or needed that experience to become master of himself. What is master of one's self? The deliberate stepping back and recognizing what decision to make based on one's inner code whether that code be intuitive or handed down from an institution one accepts. A constant trial and error period is the only way I can see to establish this code unless one chooses blind obedience. All of those various ways contain opportunities to exhibit love though they may not all be recognizable to everyone.

Moonbow

Adultery suggests willful deceit in going behind a spouses back. I think this is love, where cupid interferes with a process, whether that is an existing marriage or a betrothal and, of course, he would be torn. The difference is the intent involved, perhaps cupid's arrow is too sharp to be resisted.

I quoted Shakespeare in another thread on love somewhere:

"Love sees with the heart and not the mind; therefore, winged cupid is painted blind"

Flornoy's Noblet:
amoureuxwebqj1.jpg

eugim

Cupid was not only known by his love arrows but also for the adultery ones.

1-Wikipedia:
There are many differing stories about Cupid's parentage. Cicero provides three different lineages: son of Mercury (Hermes) and Diana (Artemis), son of Mercury and Venus (Aphrodite), and son of Mars (Ares in Greek mythology) and Venus. Plato mentions two of these, and Hesiod's Theogony, the most ancient Greek theoography, says that Cupid was created coevally with Chaos and the earth.

Throughout ancient mythological writing, there appear to be either two Cupids or two sides to the figure of Cupid. One is the son of Jupiter (Zeus) and Venus. He is a lively youth who delights in pranks and spreading love. The other is a son of Nyx and Erebus, known for riotous debauchery.

2-In the Golden Ass of Lucio Apuleyo it s mentioned that Cupid as a son of Jupiter know very well both ways.

stella01904

eugim said:
VI- LOVE IS THE KING

1-Does this card depict an adultery scene ?

He's looking at the woman on the left.
He's feeling up the woman on the right.

Like Bernice said, though, I don't think anybody's married here.

2-Is the Master of the young boy advicing him ?

The only master on this card for me is Cupid. He's running the show.

3-Is the Girl his true love after all ?

What's "true love"?
And it doesn't look to me like they're making him choose.
His feet point in two diffferent directions. He wants them both.
He's a GUY.

4-After all must the young boy leave both supposed situations and follow his Heart/Soul advice and go ahead or become a figure of salt ?

Why would he become salt? He's not looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah.

5-Then if he decide not to be that may be he become the sure warrior at VII card...

I don't even see him as the main focus of the card. Cupid is the one running the show. "L'Amovreux" is the radiance of Cupid. This is the species talking, what makes a man risk getting shot to sneak in a woman's window. And look at the women, they must be aware of each other but they're hanging around anyway.

For the purpose of a reading you can adapt them to the question, but the above is basically how I see the card.

eugim

Hola stella01904 ...

1-The figure of the extreme left is a Man for me more is a Master.
See The hair of the three figures of the cards.
2-The Man for me,has a laurel garland.
3-Cupid is pointing his arrow to the young boy.
4-The boy isn t married,the woman is or could be.
4-I m not given adultery as a fact here,just as a possibility.

MaureenH

Moonbow* said:
Adultery suggests willful deceit in going behind a spouses back.

Not necessarily. It implies sexual relations betwen a married person and someone not his or her spouse (and the heaven forbid the potential for loss of property) and that could be by mutual understanding. Used to be forbidden for a Roman Catholic to be divorced and then remarried. What gets thorny. imo, regardless of the arrangement is the choosing if the heart becomes entangled. The card displays that quandary no matter what the circumstances.

I don't think it's a "guy" thing, either.