BEST "DARK" DECK EVER - OPINIONS PLEASE :-)

bonebeach

Any thoughts on Crowe's Magick?

I'm not sure how I feel about mostly animal imagery.

I *love* that deck. It's my best and most solid reader. It's also the first non RWS deck I bought, and the single deck that convinced me to explore more and different decks...so without that deck, I wouldn't be here!

That said, it's not for everyone, and I'm not sure it's really a "dark" deck, even though people say so. I mean, the cards are literally black, but that's usually not what people mean when they say a deck is dark. I enjoy the lack of human figures (though the deck has a couple of humans), so for me that isn't a problem. I also enjoy The Wild Unknown, which is completely devoid of human figures.

I will say that for some reason, people talk about this deck being a "necromancer" deck...and I kind of agree. I'm not sure why. There isn't a single skull or bone in the deck--Death is a very alive looking eagle, even--but it's somehow still kind of necromancer deck. For me, it's practically perfect (I think about trimming the borders and getting rid of the keywords sometimes). Sometimes I feel like all the other decks I have are me just playing around...I know where I'll end up at the end of the day.

Holly doll

Miss Cleo's comes to mind... nuff said... })

chorphee

I bought the Vampire deck from Page because of its reference from Stoker. I like Nosferatu and I read the Ann Rice vampire chronicles. (And yes, I believe vampires burn/die under the sun and don't appear dressed in shiny sequins.)
The deck invite you in a cold nightmare, it is sharp and I like the references used for the court cards :)

The zombie deck... I had to trim it... I only have the central images now (no white borders, no name, no numbers, etc.) and now I can look at it and consider it as a real deck (don't know why). What makes this deck a dark deck for me is the violence of the pictures and the laughing behind them. It’s like a deck for serial killer: it’s ok to eat a heart with a fork but it’s better to do it with a smile.

I intend to buy the Azathoth deck...love the texture feel to it.

G6

I *love* that deck. It's my best and most solid reader. It's also the first non RWS deck I bought, and the single deck that convinced me to explore more and different decks...so without that deck, I wouldn't be here!

That said, it's not for everyone, and I'm not sure it's really a "dark" deck, even though people say so. I mean, the cards are literally black, but that's usually not what people mean when they say a deck is dark. I enjoy the lack of human figures (though the deck has a couple of humans), so for me that isn't a problem. I also enjoy The Wild Unknown, which is completely devoid of human figures.

I will say that for some reason, people talk about this deck being a "necromancer" deck...and I kind of agree. I'm not sure why. There isn't a single skull or bone in the deck--Death is a very alive looking eagle, even--but it's somehow still kind of necromancer deck. For me, it's practically perfect (I think about trimming the borders and getting rid of the keywords sometimes). Sometimes I feel like all the other decks I have are me just playing around...I know where I'll end up at the end of the day.

I was intrigued by this deck, but I'm on the fence about it. Something about it does seem "dark". Necromancer is interesting. I can see kind of a sorcerer vibe to it.

bonebeach

I was intrigued by this deck, but I'm on the fence about it. Something about it does seem "dark". Necromancer is interesting. I can see kind of a sorcerer vibe to it.

Sorcerer is a good word for it. It definitely isn't for everyone, but there's really not another deck like it.

If you're looking for enabling--it's an easy deck to find and usually pretty cheap. According to camelcamelcamel, the average price on amazon is about $15.

I do wish the images were higher res, if that makes sense? I don't think the print quality is bad, just that the deck was made when digital art wasn't as sharp. I think an updated/reissuing of this deck would make a KILLING...add a couple of galaxy backgrounds and it would be perfect for the tumblr aesthetic.

G6

Sorcerer is a good word for it. It definitely isn't for everyone, but there's really not another deck like it.

If you're looking for enabling--it's an easy deck to find and usually pretty cheap. According to camelcamelcamel, the average price on amazon is about $15.

I do wish the images were higher res, if that makes sense? I don't think the print quality is bad, just that the deck was made when digital art wasn't as sharp. I think an updated/reissuing of this deck would make a KILLING...add a couple of galaxy backgrounds and it would be perfect for the tumblr aesthetic.

I'm so not looking for enabling, lol! I'm in big trouble with all my enabling lately!

So, the images are soft? I wouldn't like that. I think you just de-enabled me. Thank you! :)

trocartarot

The Buckland Romani deck.

For some reason the deck has always disturbed me. Art themes are dark and the characters are very creepy. Not much creeps me out but this deck does. I just got a bad feeling from it, only took them out of their box once, never did a reading, and traded it away immediately.

KristinCali

I didn't read everything posted in this thread but thought I'd add my own 2 cents. Kat Black's Golden tarot seems kind of dark, for me at least. The colors are more neutral and I don't think a single person in the deck is smiling. For some reason I still like it though.

G6

I didn't read everything posted in this thread but thought I'd add my own 2 cents. Kat Black's Golden tarot seems kind of dark, for me at least. The colors are more neutral and I don't think a single person in the deck is smiling. For some reason I still like it though.

Wow, Golden, I'm going to have to think about that as I just got a copy!

G6

Bosch

Yes, this seems dark. Just got it, but the 10 of Pentacles, among others, hmmm.