Black Cat and Queen of Wands

re-pete-a

here kitty kitty! please!

Perhaps its the charactor of the cat and its ability to see inside the dark places.No one owns a cat.It selects where ti wants to be and who to be with.

P.S. we've just learnt that the cat is an animal of the moon and also is untamed aspects of self....that would account for the open mouth in the deck we own.

Kingfish

I think the black cat is maybe a reference to the leopard on the Thoth Queen of Wands? To me, the black cat is a "footnote' on the Queen. It reflects her meditative state and keen powers of observation, fueled by primal instinct, and uninterrupted by self-talk or preconcieved notions. She simply "is" so don't mess with her! She's what lies beyond the "primal scream" :)---end of my little story.

re-pete-a

we think /feel the colour black contains the solution

Bernice

re-pete-a said:
We've just learnt that the cat is an animal of the moon...
I believe the moon association comes from the Greeks. The earliest association I know of is a Solar one. The early Egyptians (the kemet peoples) associated cats (and the Feminine principle) with the Sun.
In many early/ancient cultures the Sun = females, and the Moon = male.

We think /feel the colour black contains the solution.
The negative meanings of black seem to be very well known, but it's positive meanings include Wisdom, Teaching etc., and as re-pete-a says it can (and does) contain solutions.

Bee.

PS: Black cats ARE lucky. In recent decades I've noticed that people have been saying that they're bad luck. This 'aint true!

re-pete-a

Bernice said:
re-pete-a said:

I believe the moon association comes from the Greeks. The earliest association I know of is a Solar one. The early Egyptians (the kemet peoples) associated cats (and the Feminine principle) with the Sun.
In many early/ancient cultures the Sun = females, and the Moon = male.

The negative meanings of black seem to be very well known, but it's positive meanings include Wisdom, Teaching etc., and as re-pete-a says it can (and does) contain solutions.

Bee.

PS: Black cats ARE lucky. In recent decades I've noticed that people have been saying that they're bad luck. This 'aint true!
The feeling is black towards luck.....darkened thoughts brings darkend etc,........We find it interesting the information on the sun and moon,we're not saying your wrong ,It's just suprising ,its the complete opposite for us,It would'n't be the first time the foot has ended up in mouth....We try we learn.. black can also refer to the dormant/sleeping side.

Alta

I understand that in some cultures the Sun was the feminine principle and the Moon the masculine. In Western cultures anyway that has become switched around, but it certainly is a cultural bias, not intrinsic.

re-pete-a

Being of western culture, and the RWS,we think, is based in/for the westerners,we'll stick to westernised,Thanks for the info,marvelous how nothing is set in cement,2 of pents....at least we now know.

HoneyBea

I wanted to take a look here at the imagery of the card to see if that gives us a clue to the cat. The Queen of Wands sits on a throne with lions on either side, also if you look closely the banner behind her also shows lions. The lion as far as I know is related to the astrological sign Leo and that rules the fifth house of the horoscope and is ruled I think by the Sun, a fire sign. The Queen of Wands is a very powerful leader that is connected to this fire sign- her scepter after all is a Sunflower and the black cat as her companion may well be a domestic representative of the lion - a little lion if you like!

Looking up in my Druid Animal Oracle about cats it has to say, "Cats bring us the ability to observe situations quietly without judgement before making decisions." Sounds like a lion laying in wait and watching its prey doesn't it.

It also says "the cat unites an awareness of the spirit-world with a highly developed sensuality." The Queen of Wands is probably the most sensual of the queens and she can be associated with using her intuition, as like all the Queens she is inward focusing and is Fire/Water.

Perhaps this little cat brings to our attention here that the Queen is a charismatic and sensual ruler, who is able to observe and make the appropriate decisions, by demonstrating a quiet self assurance, she pays attention to those inner feelings that guide her to be able to put in action what she feels is for the benefit of those around her.

From what I can see Waite wrote very little about this Queen in the The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Arthur Edward Waite (1911) all he seems to have said (unless I missed anything) is:-

"The Wands throughout this suit are always in leaf, as it is a suit of life and animation. Emotionally and otherwise, the Queen’s personality corresponds to that of the King, but is more magnetic"

Again not seeming to do justice to Pixie's illustrations.

Just my little thoughts :)

~ HoneyBea ~

rcb30872

I read somewhere, don't ask me where, because I have a brain like a sieve in who told me what, and I told what to who, and where I read something, or what I saw where, but I tend to pick up tidbits of information here and there. OK, that is enough, sheesh.

Black cats has got something to do with wisdom, from what I can remember.