Candlemas/Imbolc to go! Preliminaries

MeeWah

I am volunteering to lead the ceremony for Candlemas/Imbolc, & I hope that is agreeable. The ritual will begin January 19 to give everyone who wants to participate time to do so.
Tarotbear's idea of preliminaries before we commence with a virtual ritual is excellent, so I am doing the same.
Candlemas or Imbolc is also known by other names--among them: Feast of Lights, Lupercalia, Feast of Pan, Snowdrop Festival, Brigid's Day, & others.
It is one of the 4 Sabbats or solar rituals marking the Sun's cycle through each of the seasons, observed in the Wiccan calendar.
The ceremony marks the Goddess' recovery from childbirth, after giving birth to the Sun God. Through the life-giving power of the Sun, the days grow longer & the first stirrings of Spring begin. The festival is celebrated with fires in the form of candlelights, torches & bonfires; representing illumination, inspiration, warmth, the renewal of life after the dark, cold, & restrictive life of Winter.
This is one of the traditional times for coven initiations & self-dedications.
Besides the usual altar accoutrements, a symbol of the season is also included. White flowers such as snowflake or rowan (the first flowers of Spring) decorate the altar along with an unlit orange candle & a lit red candle.
For this group observance, there will be an orange candle for each participant.
The procedure will be as follows:
Calling the quarters.
A Blessing Chant.
Invocation of the Goddess.
Invocation of the God.
A few words stating the purpose.
Each participant, in turn, will light an orange candle from the red candle. Each will "walk the circle clockwise" holding the candle & gaze into its flame. Reflect on what it means to us personally; visualize the corresponding creativity of the season imbuing us with vitality. Offer our individual words/prayer to commemorate the occasion.
A Simple Feast. Traditional foods are dairy products; also spicy foods, spiced wines associated with the Sun's energy.
Dismiss the quarters.
Release of the circle.
If I've omitted anything, please speak up!!

New River

this day and ceremony is very close to my heart as my one and only child was born on this day. i can so relate to the energy of this time.

i think you've done a beautiful job of setting up MeeWah. thank you so much.

love, light and hope, New River

Kiama

Thanks for volunteering to lead this one Meewah!

Well, this Imbolc, it will be a year since I dedicated myself in this life to the service of the Gods, so its a fairly special time. Although I had been studying and practicing for about 3 years beforehand, I felt that last Imbolc was the right time to dedicate.

This is one of my fave festivals, mainly because my paton Goddess, Brighid resides over it. (I am giving great consideration to becoming a Flame Keeper for the Flame of Brighid in Kildare.)

Maybe we could perform a simple ritual to do with emergence, and what part of our personality or talents we would like to emerge from hiding..? Not quite sure of the specifics, its just an idea.

Kiama

MeeWah

It is important to state the purpose of any ritual ceremony for the sake of clarity for all involved & for the accord of all those present.
The purpose will be stated as to celebrate the beginnings of new life after Winter-- the "awakening" of the Goddess, the "rebirth" of the Sun, the corresponding new beginnings of Spring & of the individual quickening of Spirit this season calls forth.
Therefore, during the candle lighting ceremony, the individual reflection on the personal significance of the season is very much a part of what is encompassed. Accordingly, you are welcome to share with our circle the aspirations & hopes you hold for this time--for the personal growth or for some other endeavor of significance to you. Keep in mind that shared within the circle of protection & power, in the presence of the Goddess & the God, your intent is infused with group power & blessing. Please do take the time to think over & to state your hope, plan or intention carefully. The old adage about getting what one wishes for is more the truth than not.
New River: I can see why this particular time would be associated with your daughter--born under Aquarius. If you want, you could include a prayer for her during the candle ceremony, to bless her spirit & rebirth as well as to call upon the blessings of new life for yourself.
& thank you! I look forward to your presence in the circle.
Kiama: Thank you, too, for your comments.
The term "emergence" reminds me of the phoenix arising from its ashes; the new life that results from the passing of the old.
During the candle-lighting ceremony, you could include the personal significance this season has for you; perhaps reinforce your dedication (?) &/or state what you would like to see "emerging" for yourself.
How does that strike you?

Kiama

Strikes me as pretty darn good! I'm looking foward to it.

Kiama

arizonagirl

Imbolc is special for me, too, on a personal level, as it falls just a few days before my birthday. Really looking forward to the ritual led by MeeWah. I'm going to try to make a brigid's cross if I can interpret the instructions.

goldie

Hi, Great idea Meewah, on the 20th is my birthday and the Imbolic is always a special sabbat. My coven will also be unitting, I will be with you in spirit on this day, Hopefully it will continue to wash away our griefs as well, one step at a time is better than no step..Together we stand , divided we fall........

MeeWah

This is a reminder that the Imbolc ritual will commence on January 19.
While this ritual celebrates the end of death & darkness (Winter) & the corresponding re-awakening of life, the return of light & creativity (early Spring), it is also a time designated for purification. In the Pagan/Wiccan concept, "purification" is not associated with expiating "sin". Rather, it is approached from the sense of releasing old, negative or non-productive habits/thinking that prevent one from progress, growth or well-being. Therefore, as mentioned in a previous post: think on what significance this has for you in terms of self. Think on what you would like to see occur in your life--perhaps a reiteration or revamping of priorities is in order. Or an affirmation or reaffirmation of the goals. (It can be likened to new year's resolutions, as in the traditional calendar.)
It can be helpful to express the ideas in writing. Writing serves to clarify the thoughts as well as serves as reinforcement; a declaration of purpose.
ArizonaGirl: Thank you for the encouragement & the inspiration :)
Goldie: Thank you; I am looking forward to meeting & sharing with y'all in Spirit!

MeeWah

Another reminder that the ritual for Imbolc will commence January 19.
Looking forward to meeting with y'all!

New River

MeeWah, i will have 2 orange candles to light from the red. one for my daughter and one for myself. in this way her presence can be acknowledged with us.

i always send her prayers on this day significant because it was her birthday and in the way of new beginnings. i know there are many new beginnings on the spirit side as well.

i will be asking the Goddess for Her Blessing on doing things my way this year. my creative endeavors will be led by spirit and inspired by the energies shared with me from the Goddess. no longer feeling held back by the density of this earth and body, i am ready to begin manifesting in the Beauty Way. adding to the beauty in the world is what i am about starting this year.

whether the beauty of a smile on my face or another's, a rose garden, fountain, child's drawing, clasped hands, rainbows, the art of the masters, a lucious banquet, all of nature, sun, storm, or stars, i am dedicating myself to seeing, feeling, hearing, tasting, smelling, creating, knowing, sharing the Beauty Way.

i can only imagine at this point how the Goddess will help this enrich my life. it is an awesome thing to embrace.

this is what i will be sharing with everyone.

love, light and hope, New River