cards considered as protection in Rider-Waite Deck

reader_brad

What if...

The devil as a warning is intended to be the protection?

Lets look to the other cards to see if the Devil warns us of a problem.

Wands = sexual
Cups = alcohol
Swords = drugs
Pents = gambeling

So, just for example, if we seen the devil paired with say 2 of wands, wouldn't the devil be warning us of a possible sexual preditor that has you in their eye? Or the devil with a 5 of swords telling us the person uses drugs to hide from their real problems?

Food for thought.

Teheuti

This website claims the Star as one of three protective cards:
"In traditional card reading, the Star is seen to be one of the three protective cards that proclaim joyful success."

http://www.mysticgames.com/mysticgames_cfmfiles/TarotInfo/showcard.cfm?CardID=62&DeckID=3

Just because someone makes up something like this, doesn't make it so. If it works for you, fine. I can think of ways in which each card, especially all the Majors, can be "protective" cards.

BTW, I've never heard of the "three protective cards" in any "traditional" card reading material.

Here's some more description of the role of the Hierophant as protective:
"The Hierophant stands for the world of belief and a deep trust that stems from this conviction of faith. In older times, she was considered one of the three protective cards of the Tarot, which basically gave the course of a matter a favorable tendency."
http://the21stcenturydirective.blogspot.com/2010/06/lunar-eclipse-june-2010.html

Parzival

Cards Considered As Protection

rwcarter said:
Interesting idea. But, as defined on the original website, "the Hierophant was considered one of the three protective cards of the Tarot...." There are no angels present on that card and there would only be two other cards considered to be protective. Although you do raise a good point that the other two cards don't have to be Majors. I just assumed that part.

Rodney

Yes, the Hierophant was one of them. As inner guide, that does make sense, even without the angel's presence. Still seems odd to me that protective angels would not be included, nor the Grail card. Maybe I'm missing something about the three protector cards. The Empress as Mother might also enter into the discussion. I'm looking into Tarot Talismans by the Ciceros for further insight into just what cards are the three protectors.

Teheuti

Three Protective Cards: High Priestess, Hierophant, Star

The third one, it seems, is the High Priestess:

"This card, also called high priest, represents a deep sense of faith and trust. It represents along with The High Priestess and The Star one of the three protective cards of the Tarot."
http://www.horizonwinkel.com/site/?pg=9&lng=2&krtcode=1234iur984&kaart1=76357ydfgh&kaart2=&kaart3=

She is traditionally one of the three protective cards, which correspond to Christian mythology, allowing no harm to come to the hero under the protection of the Virgin.
http://www.mysticgames.com/mysticgames_cfmfiles/TarotInfo/showcard.cfm?CardID=5&DeckID=3

Perhaps this comes from a European tradition. Or, it was made up by someone at Mystic Games as they seem to be the major source that mentions all three.

Parzival

Cards Considered As Protection

So, here it is: High Priestess, Hierophant, Star. Thanks Teheuti. But, as you said, each card might be deemed "protective," -- "especially all the majors." And I wonder who came to this trio. It does seem a plausible perspective and somehow right, but not exclusively so.

celticnoodle

yes thank you, Teheuti. now we know 3 cards, but again, as you and Frank mention, I wonder WHO brought this up? it could be totally up to the reader. I am going to remember this though, and see how it pops up in my readings for awhile.

and, there we have it, eurjwl! a 'possible' answer here. what a great question and some great posts here working through it.

eurjwl

Thanks for all the input. My original intent was to find someone who might have actually read the "protection" concept as I never heard of it either. My curiosity was perked because lately in my personal readings, which by the way are the only ones I do, the Hierophant makes numerous appearances. In one five card reading the Hierophant and the High Priestess were present. So in doing some additional reading I stumbled onto the "protective" issue and thought it was worth inquiring about. It is nice to have a forum for discussions as it never hurts to see a fresh perspective. Of course readings are quite personal and always subject to the individuals need for understanding their place in the grand scheme. One final thought, could it be as simple as the three pillar cards? The Hierophant/High Priest, The High Priestess, and Justice. There may not be an actual answer as I cannot prove the claim either way but it is fun to discuss for enlightenment. Blessings on you all.

{k}

hello there
maybe you can find some information on the protective cards in the books of hajo banzhaf. i did a search for protective cards in german and there seems to be quite a bit of information out there. and in the majority of cases, it's the high priestess, the hierophant and the star.
this website explains that all three cards have something to do with trust or faith:
http://www.tarot.de/content/lex_t.php?letter=S (look under schutzkarten)
the high priestess stands for trusting the inner voice, the hierophant for trust in the purpose of experience (not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean, i'm simply translating here), and the star stands for having faith in the future.

i have some of banzhaf's books at home (i'm away at the moment), if you're interested i can see if i can find more information in them.

kat

Teheuti

Would love to hear more about what Hajo had to say! Thanks for tracking this down.

Ashtaroot

{k} said:
the high priestess stands for trusting the inner voice, the hierophant for trust in the purpose of experience (not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean, i'm simply translating here), and the star stands for having faith in the future.

kat
Really good love that concept and it makes total sense.
Lookink forwardcto more