choice of decks...

MandMaud

The only Lenormand deck I have seen that I'd like to get is the Silhouettes, because the images are so unambiguous. (I have the Weiss Eule, my first and my "practising" deck.) But I understand that you could read by cutting a sheet of paper into thirty-six pieces and scribbling the numbers 1 to 36 on. In other words the images really don't matter - completely unlike Tarot. (And also I think reversals are always ignored?)

Questions, therefore:
1. Why do people have more than one deck - is it purely aesthetic?
2. Are there any with nice small cards, but as unambiguous as the Silhouettes?
3. Are there any round Lenormand decks?
4. Is there any reason not to use a set of stones with the numbers on, drawing them from a bag as you do with runestones?

Barleywine

I have the large-fomat Lenomand Oracle cards that I lay out as "house" locations to place the actual GT spread on (which I will probaby stop doing as soon as I have everything memorized), and a single reading deck. I do want more decks but, as you say, it's mainlly aesthetic.

I don't use reversals with Lenormand.

The Piatnik is quite small, but the images are traditional, not simplified.

I've never seen a round Lenomand deck, but I'm not "well-rounded" in my knowledge at this point.

I do draw stones from a bag for divination purposes, but it's for geomancy. I don't number them, but I do have seven appropriately-colored "planetary" stones that I give special meaning to.

kalliope

1. I have multiple decks just for the pleasure of looking at something different or pretty. But as you say, I read them all the same way, and just the same as if they simply had words on them.

2. One of my favorite little decks is the LEN Modern Minimalist Lenormand by Melissa Haney (Hill). It only comes in a mini, but it's even more simplified than the Silhouettes. And cheap! The cardstock isn't the best (kind of simple-cardboardy), but the deck itself is great.

3. Haven't seen any round ones.

4. No reason not to use stones with numbers, really! If you could read the numbers as quickly and easily as the words or pictures (especially when laid out in a grand tableau), go for it. If I were going to do it, I'd draw a little picture instead, kind of like the Crowstones. There is also a Lenormand charm out there -- the Magpie Oracle. Little charms for each of the symbols, and you draw or toss them like you would stones.

kalliope

Other relatively simple decks would be the McLoughlin Lenormand or the Alte Deutsch. They are also available as minis along with several other decks from the same site. Lauren produces excellent reproductions.

Another reproduction of the McLoughlin deck is by TarotbySeven and called Madam Morrow, available here and here.

MandMaud

I've never seen a round Lenomand deck, but I'm not "well-rounded" in my knowledge at this point.
:laugh::laugh:

I do draw stones from a bag for divination purposes, but it's for geomancy. I don't number them, but I do have seven appropriately-colored "planetary" stones that I give special meaning to.
Yes, but I'm thinking more of an actual Lenormand "deck" which is stones instead of cards. partly because my arthritic hands find shuffling very difficult sometimes.

Padma

why don't you get some poker chips, then, MandMaud? You could paint the symbol and number for each card on them, then you'd have a) a round "deck", and b) one that you could draw out of a bag (and it would be way less heavy than stones!) It would be really cheap to make, as well! ;)

MandMaud

Kalliope, thanks for all these deck suggestions - and your answers to my other questions.

2. One of my favorite little decks is the LEN Modern Minimalist Lenormand by Melissa Haney (Hill). It only comes in a mini, but it's even more simplified than the Silhouettes. And cheap! The cardstock isn't the best (kind of simple-cardboardy), but the deck itself is great.
Not quite as pretty but definitely as unambiguous! But if it's only from the Game Crafter, shipping will be upwards of $20 which kind of un-cheaps it. ;)

4. No reason not to use stones with numbers, really! If you could read the numbers as quickly and easily as the words or pictures (especially when laid out in a grand tableau), go for it. If I were going to do it, I'd draw a little picture instead, kind of like the Crowstones. There is also a Lenormand charm out there -- the Magpie Oracle. Little charms for each of the symbols, and you draw or toss them like you would stones.
I don't know the Crowstones and can't find them by googling.

I have seen the Magpie Oracle before; exactly what I'm talking about - but I don't like the charm-bracelet feel, personally. This is where aesthetics and personal taste come into it again!

Other relatively simple decks would be the McLoughlin Lenormand or the Alte Deutsch. They are also available as minis along with several other decks from the same site. Lauren produces excellent reproductions.
I like most of these very much, especially the Dutch Deck. :)
What size is "mini" precisely?

Another reproduction of the McLoughlin deck is by TarotbySeven and called Madam Morrow, available here and here.
This looks very "traditional" and without seeing all cards, I can't tell if it would do. With the Weiss Eule that I have, at a glance I always muddle the clouds and stars. Also the book and coffin - almost always I set about understanding book, and then realise that in fact I drew the coffin. :rolleyes: The size of these cards is nice (they're upstairs but I think approx 2 x 3"), and even smaller would be even nicer.

I thought of drawing my own but got perfectionist when imagining what kind of card. Then I wondered if it's possible to get a single custom deck printed, but all I could find was places that print ordinary playing cards with your own design on the back, or even on the faces - aimed at businesses mainly. Maybe I'll get some plain stones and use a marker pen.

kalliope

Kalliope, thanks for all these deck suggestions - and your answers to my other questions.

You're welcome! I like to troubleshoot and give suggestions. :)

Not quite as pretty but definitely as unambiguous! But if it's only from the Game Crafter, shipping will be upwards of $20 which kind of un-cheaps it. ;)

They've improved their shipping options!! You can pick from First Class Mail for $2.79, or Priority Mail for $6.19 or $6.40. So definitely not $20 anymore! When I got mine I went with the cheapest and it was fine. And no, it's not quite as pretty as the Silhouettes, but still cute. :)

I don't know the Crowstones and can't find them by googling.

Chronata here on AT made them. I can't find mine at the moment, but if I do I'll snap a picture. It's a small oracle that has little picture icons on stones, so that's what I thought of when you mentioned the stone idea.

I like most of these very much, especially the Dutch Deck. :)
What size is "mini" precisely?

Most mini Lenormands including the LEN are 1 3/4" x 2 1/2" -- so quite small. Smaller than the Weiss Eule, definitely. (That one is basically the standard size for Lenormands by the way, about 2.25" x 3.5" -- but technically about a mm shorter in both directions.)

This looks very "traditional" and without seeing all cards, I can't tell if it would do. With the Weiss Eule that I have, at a glance I always muddle the clouds and stars. Also the book and coffin - almost always I set about understanding book, and then realise that in fact I drew the coffin. :rolleyes: The size of these cards is nice (they're upstairs but I think approx 2 x 3"), and even smaller would be even nicer.

I don't have the Dutch Lenormand (the one that is only black/white/red, correct?), but Lee does. Maybe you could ask him if the those cards are all easily distinguishable. But the McLoughlin (by Lauren) and the Madam Morrow (by TarotBySeven), which are the same deck being reproduced, seem to have a style that makes me think the star would be more like the Star cards in the photos of the Alte Deutsch, Stralsunder, and Mertz that I've posted below, which are easy to tell apart from the Clouds.

I've taken a few snapshots of those cards in the clearest decks I have, just for comparison's sake. I included the Alte Deutsch, Vincent's Brepols, the A.S.S. (very modern style but relatively simple, although probably not your style), Mertz, and Stralsunder Mini (another good one). Most are from Lauren at gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com except for the A.S.S. and Mertz, which can be found at Book Depository w/ free shipping. The A.S.S. is super cheap, but the Mertz may be OOP now, I'm not sure. (ETA: It's not! Here it is.)

I thought of drawing my own but got perfectionist when imagining what kind of card. Then I wondered if it's possible to get a single custom deck printed, but all I could find was places that print ordinary playing cards with your own design on the back, or even on the faces - aimed at businesses mainly. Maybe I'll get some plain stones and use a marker pen.

I think the stones sound like a fun idea. Why not try it?

Attachments

• Alte Deutsch and Brepols.jpg
    Alte Deutsch and Brepols.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Stralsunder Mini.jpg
    Stralsunder Mini.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 212
  • A.S.S. and Mertz.jpg
    A.S.S. and Mertz.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 195

danieljuk

My first Lenormand deck I bought was Titania's Fortune Cards and they have the most basic pictures. Just an image of the card symbol and some of the colours are reversed. I really loved them at the start as my favourite deck. I have bought more decks since and I find them different like tarot, they have different art. As my lenormand skills increase I really love artwork now. I want a picture to interpret! I use them for different things and they do give different readings.

I guess numbers on stones or just numbers on cards, begs the question, how do you define a lenormand card? just numbers starts to turn into divination or numerology. People like different decks for how they want to use the system, like people do cartomancy with the playing card inserts on some. I need more than basic now.

Chronata's Lenormand Stones (different to the crowstones) were amazing (there may even be some left). They came in different colours, I bought blue. This is an example of the black ones - they have numbers and the symbol on the stones http://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/518/299/235/lenormand-oracle-stone-set-6adf.jpg I have yet to use my stones but one day I shall!

I guess the question can be compared Maud to tarot. Why do we just not have "king of cups" written in blank pen ink on a blank white card, instead we like different versions of the same card. Different Lenormand decks have slightly different themes of the same card, always provides slightly different intriguing readings. We all use Lenormand in slightly different ways and like different styles for that :)

Aster Breo

There are so many decks available, it's hard to imagine you couldn't find one that works for you. Try searching Etsy, as well as simply googling.

My favorite deck is the Zingdoodle deck by Rootweaver, available on Etsy in a standard size (don't remember if it's bridge size or poker size) and in mini size. I think the symbols are very easy to read. But I also prefer a more contemporary style.

For more traditional, I think the Game of Hope reproduction decks are great.

It also depends on if you want playing card insets and/or verses, or just the symbols. There are so many options.

For super simple, you might also like the NOW Lenormand deck, although I don't think it comes in a mini size. (I found it via Google.)

I like the poker chip idea someone suggested. You could do the same thing on those wooden disks they sell in craft stores, or even on buttons. It would be fun to experiment with casting Lenormand symbols (like runes or ogham staves), as opposed to using them in lay outs.