choice of decks...

Aster Breo

About using the pictures in interpretations: While the more traditional schools of Lenormand tend to be stricter about the card meanings, I do think there is definitely an intuitive element to reading Lenormand. For me, that's more about how the cards combine to create the message. Depending on the question and context, the same 3 cards could mean different things. Often, the artwork on the cards helps with the intuitive part.

Also, some Lenormand schools do use at least some of the pictures in the interpretations. Which way the Scythe is pointing, for example.

Some schools also use the playing card insets as sources of additional relevant info.

About different decks: Personally, I've found that different decks have different personalities, and even seem to have preferences for what kinds of questions they prefer.

And, of course, different clients are drawn to different decks. That's a large part of why I have a (small) variety of decks.

MandMaud

why don't you get some poker chips, then, MandMaud? You could paint the symbol and number for each card on them, then you'd have a) a round "deck", and b) one that you could draw out of a bag (and it would be way less heavy than stones!) It would be really cheap to make, as well! ;)

I guess you did not see my post, MandMaud! Maybe you could paint the symbols on poker chips, or wooden discs? Or even pub coasters! :laugh:

Anyways, poker chips are small and portable - nothing as heavy as stones! (and then you'd have your "round" deck!)

Sorry I missed you - and again! You're right, the weight is a drawback of the stones idea. And I have a friend married to a professional poker player who always has spare chips lying around!

I'm liking the thought of little pictures, very simplified, almost glyphs, rather than the numbers. Largely because I haven't learnt the order of the 36 cards. :D

About using the pictures in interpretations: While the more traditional schools of Lenormand tend to be stricter about the card meanings, I do think there is definitely an intuitive element to reading Lenormand. For me, that's more about how the cards combine to create the message. Depending on the question and context, the same 3 cards could mean different things. Often, the artwork on the cards helps with the intuitive part.

Also, some Lenormand schools do use at least some of the pictures in the interpretations. Which way the Scythe is pointing, for example.

Some schools also use the playing card insets as sources of additional relevant info.

About different decks: Personally, I've found that different decks have different personalities, and even seem to have preferences for what kinds of questions they prefer.

And, of course, different clients are drawn to different decks. That's a large part of why I have a (small) variety of decks.

That's really very interesting. I'm a long way from understanding the when and how of using intuition with Lenormand. Can't prevent my intuition from joining in with a tarot reading, but it refuses to be summoned when I look at these little cards. Maybe it's just a matter of familiarity. I'm also a long way from adding the playing card inserts to my need-to-learn list - and a very long way from having clients! But it's interesting about decks preferring different kinds of questions. That makes sense to me.

So I suppose, if I'm trying not to buy dozens of decks(!), I should let my intuition draw me to one or two and that way, hopefully, they'll be better for the questions I tend to find myself asking. I didn't do it intuitively at all the first time, lots of logic and mainly lots of looking at price because I decided not to allow myself this new hobby at all (should have known better!) and so allowed it zero budget. :laugh:

MandMaud

This may be a silly question...
are the Gipsy cards a Lenormand deck?

There's a deck on eBay: it is 36 cards, but I can't find satisfactory images of them all. Doesn't seem to be exactly the same(?). An (illegible) scan of the instruction leaflet seems to show the GT technique, judging only from the diagrams.

I do like the Piatnik style, though I have yet to see if the cards are as distinct as I need.
I'm also tempted by the Titania deck - so my taste is eclectic. :)

... And Le Jeu Destin Antique definitely isn't the same as Lenormand, is it(?).

MandMaud

I do like the Piatnik style,

Oops. I meant the style of the Piatnik Gipsy cards. I keep forgetting that "Piatnik" can refer to more than one deck! it's quite recent that I learnt Piatnik are a "house"; I had thought the "Piatnik Lenormand" was just one of the various Lenormand decks. :laugh:

So... my question about the Gipsy cards?

Lunajade

No, the Gypsy cards are not a Lenormand. They are different. The first Lenormand card is always the rider and the last card is the cross. The Gypsy cards has different card names. You can read it like Lenormand (in combinations).

MandMaud

No, the Gypsy cards are not a Lenormand. They are different. The first Lenormand card is always the rider and the last card is the cross. The Gypsy cards has different card names. You can read it like Lenormand (in combinations).

Thank you. Darn. :D I'm very tempted by the Gypsy now I've seen it, but it's pure indulgence given that I'm only meant to be looking for a Lenormand deck and no good yet at reading that!

MandMaud

And ... <drum roll> ... I have ordered Titania's Fortune Cards. Lack of ambiguity was the primary consideration by far, but i do like the psychedelic colours. Thanks, Dan! It's a deck I never would have glanced at but for your recommendation. Dreadful girly-fairy title, and it isn't named Lenormand, so I'd have thought it was just an oracle. :)

Now to decide whether I'm greedy enough to get the Gipsy as well... maybe I should ask the deck I already have here. :laugh:

MandMaud

Well, I did order and they all arrived today.

Titania's was damaged so they're on their way back to get a refund. Badly packed: the dog card was not fully in the packet, so its top centimetre was bent badly. Also the little (inner, cardboard) box was creased and slightly torn, and a stain on the front cover of the (outer, "hardback") box. Not at all as described! However I glanced through the cards and now I know I do like them, and the book looked good too. Guess which two cards leapt at me as I looked through? Mouse and fox!

I am really going to like the Gipsy deck, I think. I didn't feel the need to do any kind of introductory cleansing or "bonding" beyond holding the cards to my heart a moment once out of their pack. I asked how this returning the Titania's will go, and got fortune with officer, which I took (without checking the LWB) to mean good luck and officialdom, as in the official admin side of things. :)

Not so sure about the Jeu Destin Antique which was bundled with the Gipsy as one listing. I still like the style but they don't shuffle as well and I'll have to constantly look up meanings, as I don't know playing card reading at all. But it was effectively a freebie after all.

And now, off to buy a different Titania's...