Ciro Marchetti Marseille-Inspired Deck

MizGrace

That's a very in you're deck that makes you stop and look at it. I am sure many people will be stopped in their tracks. Looks promising, yes like so many cant wait to see how the majors develop they are what i go for in a deck see the majors and the whole picture starts to unravel and make sense. I am quite impressed with images I have seen of Ciros decks after reading about decks people have plagiarized/copied. I decided to look at CiroMs work and found it unique and jaw dropping good stuff!.Reminds me of computer games like Myst pc I played many years ago and was fascinated by. I am sure in time I will be drawn to buy one yet right now I am on a witchy quest, so if you decide to do one with lots of witchy images. or if infact one already has that in id like to hear about it.

I also find it lovely here how the creators of decks dont forget to address the customers and tarot enthusiasts its nice to see.

Thank you

cirom

I took a look at the Tarot Decoratif images on your site and am getting more enthusiastic about this project by the moment. Interestingly, what struck me at first glance was that some of the "stained-glass" background effects (especially on the Aces) have much the same impact as the "synthetic projective geometry" backgrounds used by Lady Frieda Harris in the Thoth deck, although much more systematic and regular. No doubt it's purely coincidental, but I went searching on Frank Lloyd Wright to see if he had any connection to projective geometry; instead, I found this interesting proposed "charter" for Wright's "organic architecture:"

"Let the design:

be inspired by nature and be sustainable, healthy, conserving, and diverse.
unfold, like an organism, from the seed within.
exist in the "continuous present" and "begin again and again".
follow the flows and be flexible and adaptable.
satisfy social, physical, and spiritual needs.
"grow out of the site" and be unique.
celebrate the spirit of youth, play and surprise.
express the rhythm of music and the power of dance."

I wasn't familiar with that "charter" but having read it now, I can very much relate to it. I find it especially relevant from the third line down. If you look at some of the self mockery fun videos i put up on YouTube I think you'll see how his suggestions in the last line are acted upon. I get the impression that for many people the process of designing a tarot deck should be something akin to a monk working on a decorated manuscript. Based on intimate familiarity and devotion to the ideology they are illustrating, preferably with a tactile contact of human hand to pen and paper (or even better, parchment), paint stained fingers working in steady spiritual concentration in silence, other than possibly some distant choral chanting. My tarot background may seem less academic or reverent, the medium less "human" but i consider my approach to be quite close to Franks list of suggestions.
"begin again and again" yes, often.
"be flexible and adaptable" i'm constantly changing things based on feedback.
"satisfy social, physical and spiritual needs" That is the goal.
"be unique" I consider that to be the case, even if it goes hand in hand with being perceived as different or mistaken.
"express the rhythm of music and the power of dance"
Absolutely (see Youtube) Even if I do so while having Led Zeppelin or James Brown at full blast as my background music...as opposed to the Gregorian choir .

Michellehihi

Cirom I sent you a PM regarding the Aces in your coming deck.

cirom

Michellehihi the grammatical errors that you pointed out on the titles have been addressed and in fact are already correct in my current (latest) working files.. I used a 1949 French edition of the book "Le Tarot de Marseilles" as one of my guides. A beautiful book with actual cards inserted in each page. Reproductions of the 1760 Conver. A personal gift from Stuart Kaplan.
But I do appreciate your pointing it out to me. Thank you.

cirom

On a related note. I had the same repeat nightmare last night...You know the one where the mother in law phones to say she's coming to stay for a week... Yeah ...that one. The imagery, the music, it was all seemed so real... But I managed to stay calm and thought to myself well you might as well put it some use. it could be the basis of one of the companion animated sequences that goes with the new deck...
https://youtu.be/ycrttqAk6i0

Morwenna

(PS. I only have 2 of your products so far, the original Gilded and the Gilded Reverie Lenormand, but I'd like to remedy that...)

I lied. I have 3 of your products: I also have the Oracle of Visions. (I need to keep better track of my stuff!)

Cocobird55

Looking forward to this deck. All of the scans on Facebook have been gorgeous.

cirom

The way i work is such that progress tends to be laboriously slow at the beginning with constant rejection and experimentation, trying to establis a common theme etc. But then gradually speeds up as things start to come together. This is the case now as several cards that for months were in varying states of work in progress are being finished off. I've posted several more images on FB over the last couple of weeks. I believe the whole connection with Marseilles has finally been explained for what it is , or to be more precise for what it isn't... I abandoned my initial lofty goals of attempting some kind of contemporary Marseilles deck, from very early on, realizing I was not capable of it. And another faithfully accurate Marseilles rendition, something i would not be interested in doing. Such exercises have already been done beautifully by other artist member here. I think my hybrid approach could be described instead as a meat and potatoes WS deck but with a French Marseilles dressing poured over. Something that if you are a Marseilles purist you probably won't like at all, but equally its not aimed at you. In general terms its aimed at people who may not particularly like the woodcut renditions of the older classics and prefer more tangible imagery than the "lesser" illustrated pips. In illustrative terms its not actually my style either although yes I guess it is "all glossy" in part because of the stained glass motive running through the entire deck. The patterns of which are my adaptions based on the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. Beyond the use of French titles and inclusion of terms such as Papesse, the degree of content and association with the Marseilles varies from card to card. While I have no intention of spending my remaining years on this earth studying the Marseilles, I have put reasonable effort into researching it to do it as much justice as I could. But with tha said I still found so many inconsistencies and interpretations by authors and other artists that I personally couldn't agree with or buy into, so ultimately I cherry picked what I considered significant enough to include, albeit in my own way. With that said I'm still undecided on one particular item. The direction of the figure in La Mort...To the left or to the right? I've read various explanation for both, and and leaning towards my own decision, but before I finalize that card, I'm open to any other insight anyone may wish to offer..

oops just saw Reall had posted links to some of the more recent images....The variations of the reverse design are to demonstrate options I will be offering. Namely that people can order the deck customized with their initials or name integrated into the reverse design, making their copies of this deck truly unique. Something I offered with my earlier "Kipper" deck and proved to be a popular option for collectors and professional readers.