Crisse Tarot by Didier Crispeel

Logiatrix

I just picked up a copy of this deck at a second hand bookstore...

The cards are in excellent shape, but the box is rather beat up. There's only the 80 cards in the box; that is to say, I'm not sure if a LWB or pamphlet was ever included with the cards or not.

There aren't any threads on this deck, but it looks like at least a couple of members here have it in their collections. Can anyone tell me about it? I'd especially like to solve the mystery about the LWB that I mentioned above.

As far as the rest of the internet (beyond our little home), Tarot Garden seems to be the only place that has any background on it (in English, anyway). I was unsuccessful at linking that page, but I promise it's there; just put "Crisse" in the search bar on the TG main page.

Thanks for whatever anyone can offer!
:)

Cerulean

Pictures at Tarotpassages.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/crisse-po.htm

I'd have to check, but the Mantea Courier seems to have listed the deck. I don't have the newsletter itself, but sometimes I can google an article in an online version...

Looks like an out-of-print portfolio of a kind of graphic novel style. Interesting--hope others post about it.

Cerulean

Logiatrix

Cerulean said:
Interesting--hope others post about it.

Cerulean
Me, too!

Thanks for the link and the response, Cerulean. :love:

By the way, I did find a Crisse fansite, which mentions the deck along with plenty of words of admiration (if my French is any good), but no constructive information. It's still an excellent site, with a thorough overview of the artist's many works. My search through a few pages piqued a guess that the deck illustrations may be from the artist's comic series, "Kookaburra", as the character stylings and production years are similar. But I'm looking at the art with a very untrained eye, and the years are only close, not exact.

And so I keep searching, 'cuz I really want to know where those characters on my new deck come from!

rwcarter

My Crisse is in something akin to an old VHS videotape box. The deck is split into two stacks inside. I do have a LWB, although it's not all that informative. It looks to me like each set of facing pages is onne-half of an A4 sheet of paper.

My French is passable enough to know that only the Majors are discussed. For each Major 2 or 3 keywords/phrases are listed for both upright and reversed meanings. L'ETOILE (The Sun) was printed on facing pages, so I have an erratum sheet for LA LUNE inserted into the booklet.

There is nothing in the LWB about the drawings, who the characters are (outside of the name of the card), the backstory of the characters, etc.

I really don't think you're missing much by not having the LWB.

Rodney

truelighth

From what I remember from the Crisse Tarot, it isn't really related to any of the comics that Crisse (Didier Chrispeels) has made. He made several comics, from which Kookaburra is known in the US. But here in the Netherlands I have also seen the Crystal Swords, Nahomi and some others.

Anyway, I have the deck and I think there is a leaflet with it, but there is really not much info on how to read with the cards. I think the Crisse Tarot was more like a kind of art/showcase deck for the artist then for reading. It was also only sold in comic book stores at the time.

Logiatrix

Rodney and truelighth, thank you very much for the great info! I guess I can just relax, then, and simply enjoy looking through the deck...

I do like the art, but was a little disappointed with the minor arcana until the artist's background became clearer. Like you said, truelighth, it's a showcase deck, like for collecting.

By the way, I'm not really a collector, in the traditional sense, so if anyone wants to claim it, please give me a PM. It would just be a shame to hang on to it, when it's supposed to be in another member's collection.

rwcarter

Logiatrix said:
I do like the art, but was a little disappointed with the minor arcana until the artist's background became clearer. Like you said, truelighth, it's a showcase deck, like for collecting.
I felt the same way about the Minors, but I am a collector so can't let it go just quite yet.... :laugh:

Rodney

Logiatrix

rwcarter said:
I felt the same way about the Minors, but I am a collector so can't let it go just quite yet.... :laugh:

Rodney
Hey, Rodney...want another Crisse?
;)

rwcarter

Logiatrix said:
Hey, Rodney...want another Crisse?
;)
I'm a collector, not a hoarder. (Well, with the exception of a few decks that I have 3 or more copies of.... :laugh:) When the time is right, your deck will make its way to the person who will appreciate it. ;)

Rodney

Logiatrix

rwcarter said:
I'm a collector, not a hoarder. (Well, with the exception of a few decks that I have 3 or more copies of.... :laugh:) When the time is right, your deck will make its way to the person who will appreciate it. ;)

Rodney
Yes, I know, I was just kidding with you. :)

Actually, I'm the one apppreciating it right now...it's got quite a sense of humor!
:D