Crowley biographies. Just read Sutin...

CornissMagorniss

Churton appears to have a scholarly reputation, and he is also affiliated with the Masons and the Rosicrucians.

Le Fanu

I'm going to wait for someone to read it and get back to us :laugh:
"Definitive" makes me wince, especially as Perdurabo has stood the test of time (well, since 2002 anyway and had people clamouring for it to come back in print.)

I think there is not much to add to Perdurabo, unless Kazcynsky (don't remember how to spell it) actually got stuff wrong, which is unlikely as he had the reprint last year to correct facts. Plus he seems to give everything such even-handed treatment, so you can't even say "Oh he's not very good on Crowley as poet" or whatever. With Sutin we have the spiritual vacuum at the heart of the book, but even so, I found Sutin overall quite readable.

My only criticism of Perdurabo - is not actually a criticism as such - is that it isn't always very readable. I mean, it's big, lots of pages, small print, incredible detail and footnotes. But it's normal to me that if we want and facts and details, the narrative will have its ups & downs, it can be hard work, but that's the case with any serious academically researched text . We either want facts or an effortless narrative. Note how Churton emphasises the narrative aspect of his biography. I'd rather have well-reasearched facts which have to be taken in small, bite-sized pieces - and read "little and often" - than a good narrative peppered with hyperbole.

But the adjectives - "astonishing.. mind-blowing...emotional impact..." make me wince a little...

CornissMagorniss

But the adjectives - "astonishing.. mind-blowing...emotional impact..." make me wince a little...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. But maybe he thinks he has to use such language in order to promote the book.

Who is Sutin and who is Kaczynski? What are their respective backgrounds and points of view a priori? That's always significant in considering the source and the spin. Even more significant than how well each sustains the narrative or how their editing balances between inclusiveness and readability.

Curious and curiouser.

Aeon418

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. But maybe he thinks he has to use such language in order to promote the book.
But was it written by Churton himself? I wasn't aware that authors wrote their own promotional material. I thought those kinds of things were left up to the publisher.

Bit off topic: did you have any luck at the library?

CornissMagorniss

But was it written by Churton himself? I wasn't aware that authors wrote their own promotional material. I thought those kinds of things were left up to the publisher.

Bit off topic: did you have any luck at the library?

Have you seen Churton's site? He seems to be an academic, but his promotional stuff looks more geared to sell than the average university press. Which may not be entirely a bad thing. The book blurb on Amazon appears to have been taken directly from the Churton's site, whether Churton or somebody else wrote it.

I did not make it to the library on Friday, which is a short day. Got there today, but for some reason, those British heathens take off on a normal working day like Sunday :) I asked for a second-hand bookstore owner I know to keep an eye out for any biographies. To my amusement, another customer expressed shock, but I pulled my best Morticia Addams face and raised an eyebrow.

CornissMagorniss

On the other hand, we've got more kabalists in this city than you can shake a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time.

Lleminawc

I recently picked up CR Cammell's short memoir of Crowley, who he was friendly with for a few years before the inevitable falling-out. Quite an interesting read: broadly sympathetic though by no means star-struck, and harshly critical in places. Cammell's social situation was quite similar to Crowley's in that he was the inheritor of a family fortune (Cammell-Laird shipbuilders) and largely free to follow his own interests. His son Donald was of course the director of Performance, starring James Fox and Mick Jagger.

Le Fanu

Well, reporting back, I'm back to reading the second half of Perdurabo.

I find it such a slog. A faultless biography in terms of the details of Crowley's life but such a slog to read. I really am forcing myself which is not something I normally do when reading. A book has to be readable but there is so much minutae - which of course is excellent, shows the depth of research - but readability goes right out the window.

Every chapter I begin I have to count how many pages are left. I'm surprised as I thought Sutin was the dull one and I raced through that biography. I'm determined to finish it really just to say I have read the definitive biography (normally I'm never like this!) as it seems all Crowley bios are measured up against this one.

I like reading about the people who enter & exit his life but all the specific dates of articles, book releases, printings, letters, just seem to bog the text down. I think this book would work best as a reference book, consulting the index. Reading from beginning to end is tough.

Laura Borealis

How are you finding Perdurabo in terms of the magickal/spiritual side? I remember you said that Sutin's left something to be desired, there.