Death's Armor

BodhiSeed

Wow... It's like they(or he) are riding by the same cliffs and river...
Thanks Rainbow Aurora for pointing this out, and for the scans!

Bodhran

Teheuti

Rainbow Aurora said:
I've sometimes noticed a similarity ;) between these two (Knight of Cups + Death)
Really interesting. Death is associated with Scorpio - a water sign. As the Grail Knight - it's almost a picture of the offer of everlasting life and death being two aspects of the same thing.

Mary

vision777

When you "die " the flesh decays but the things in the material world stays. Like for instance you know how when people put the dead in coffins well most of them have clothes on right? and you know the body gets eaten by worms or what ever but the actual clothes remain on the skelaton. some people think just because they have the best protection they can't die or they refuse to change it just goes to show you nothing can block out death, when it comes ,it comes no matter what your wearing. i guess! the change never comes from the outside, it starts from the inside!

job

vision777 said:
When you "die " the flesh decays but the things in the material world stays. Like for instance you know how when people put the dead in coffins well most of them have clothes on right? and you know the body gets eaten by worms or what ever but the actual clothes remain on the skelaton. some people think just because they have the best protection they can't die or they refuse to change it just goes to show you nothing can block out death, when it comes ,it comes no matter what your wearing. i guess! the change never comes from the outside, it starts from the inside!

But this card is not about "ordinary death".

job

bodhran said:
I wonder if this "entrance" to a change in consciousness has anything to do with that hard-to-see cave on the card... Hmmm...

Bodhran

Hi

What if it's not a cave? Just our wanting it to be so.
Where else might this entrance lie?

Ukkonen

job said:
Hi

What if it's not a cave? Just our wanting it to be so.
Where else might this entrance lie?

In the previous card, The Hanged Man..?

I've taken those two cards, XII&XIII, to be interconnected, pretty much like a key and a lock. Something like "The Hanged Man 'opens' himself (~liberates) by turning upside-down 180 degrees, similarly you put a key in the lock and turn it 180 degrees and you get the door opened." Death as a door to new life..?

caridwen

The cave in the Death card is also a reference to Dante:)

job

Ukkonen said:
In the previous card, The Hanged Man..?

I've taken those two cards, XII&XIII, to be interconnected, pretty much like a key and a lock. Something like "The Hanged Man 'opens' himself (~liberates) by turning upside-down 180 degrees, similarly you put a key in the lock and turn it 180 degrees and you get the door opened." Death as a door to new life..?

Does he open himself consciously or is it a higher yearning of some kind? Would this then link back to XI as some kind of 'court' scene to decide worthiness? (I was going to say 'judgement' scene but of course that's card XX).

Ukkonen

job said:
Does he open himself consciously or is it a higher yearning of some kind? Would this then link back to XI as some kind of 'court' scene to decide worthiness? (I was going to say 'judgement' scene but of course that's card XX).

If you ask me, I'd say it's "both". It's possible to see Justice/Adjustment taking place or becoming activated both inside and outside...sometimes it's the outside world that puts us in that position, sometimes we end up finding ourselves being forced (from the inside) to make that choice. I don't know...does the Hanged Man stay in his upside-down position until the scales finally tip? Do the three cards (XI,XII,XIII) actually go together? Is Death based on Justice? And in The Hanged Man we just go 'um, I don't have a clue what's going on here..' but then we decide to do something - that's Death -so do we see the actual scales tipping (scuse me for my bad english) in Temperance, with the two vessels..?

Okay, that's it. I should probably go to bed right now. Too little sleep and too much tarot, that's a bad combination.

job

For this deck; XI, XII and XIII go together. I think the 'problem' is fitting it in with our own experiences when it probably would be best as a guide.

Is Death based on Justice? That's a tough one. At the moment I don't think so. What if XI was Strength instead?

I see temperance as a balance between two Worlds(the mystical transformation of Death and the 'old' World). I think its managing the two without going crazy.