Deck of the Week Group sign up thread - Week 13 - 29th October - 5th November 2011

Cat*

Welcome Flaxen, and welcome back kabang and merissa_88!

Yesterday I took my Tarot Balbi with me into space to boldly go where no deck has gone before... Read all about it on my blog (linked in my profile)! ;)

It's funny how I'm so NOT thinking about Halloween - we simply don't celebrate it over here (well, people have started to introduce it but it seems to be mainly another opportunity to sell stuff), so I have no emotional ties to it. "My" year also doesn't start on the 1st of November, so that's another issue I'm not thinking about right now. Well, what AM I thinking about? Maybe I'll get a little bit into Samhain and do something about that. Since I'm also starting my official training as a volunteer hospice worker in the second week of November it seems an appropriate time to think about death and those who have passed on...

desertrat

Day 2 of the Vampire Tarot and I pull a court card again. I have to say, I'm finding it slightly tricky to think of these courts in the abstract rather than real people. Today I pulled the Knight of Holy Water which is shown as Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Well I'm afraid that it made me think of Le Fanu from this forum and then I just couldn't get past that.

I can't help but chuckle a little at this, Flaxen. I am forever whining about pulling court cards. I feel your pain. :grin:

NikkiB

I can't help but chuckle a little at this, Flaxen. I am forever whining about pulling court cards. I feel your pain. :grin:

Helloooo :) are you joining us this week? x

NikkiB

Yesterday I took my Tarot Balbi with me into space to boldly go where no deck has gone before... Read all about it on my blog (linked in my profile)! ;)

Hey Cat that all looks really interesting, I hadn't thought of doing that so I'm going to have a go!! I have the complete box set of ST so can work my way all the way through lol!

how are you getting on with cups as air and swords water?? :eek: think that would cause me a nervous breakdown!

Cat*

how are you getting on with cups as air and swords water?? :eek: think that would cause me a nervous breakdown!
So far, I'm conveniently ignoring them. Mostly due to forgetfulness (you're not expecting me to remember what I copied down from the internet a whole day ago, do you? ;)).

But I seriously want to think about ways in which swords are water and cups are air... If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear them!

desertrat

Taking a week off

Helloooo :) are you joining us this week? x

Hey Nik :) I'm taking a week off this week. (I mentioned it in the week 12 thread) Last few weeks have been rather swordsy and my psyche needs a break. :( I can't stop myself from posting and annoying everyone else, however. :D Next week I will resume with a new deck.

Chiriku

But I seriously want to think about ways in which swords are water and cups are air... If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear them!

Oh, lordy! And I thought I had it bad with the decks that switch Swords and Wands to Fire and Air, respectively.

If Air still means the same thing Air means in Waite's Golden Dawn tradition, and if Water still means the same things, then I'll take a crack at it.

Well, here goes nothing:

Swords have the power to--and indeed were created in order to-- pierce straight through to the heart, drawing blood. And blood, as our lifeforce, can be represented in metaphor by the idea of 'Water." Blood is fluid, necessary to our lives, and it sustains us; so too is Water. So, too, are our emotions.

Cups: have you ever seen a child try to "catch" the wind or the air in a jar or container? Cups as air remind us that our mental faculties, our thoughts, our dreams, cannot be confined, just as air cannot be confined to a vessel.

Chiriku

Deck of the Week meets IDS: the Maat

Halloween is my favorite holiday and as such, I want to use the most significant deck I have. The most significant and meaningful deck I have with me at my current location is the one I've been doing my Intensive Deck Study with: the Maat.

Although I've been studying it for a month or so, I have not shuffled the whole deck yet; I have only shuffled the handful of cards within the Autumn "cycle" (there are several different cycles, based on lunar astrology).

I think that for Halloween night, I will finally shuffle the whole deck and do a major reading with it, time allowing.

You know, the deck is so powerful (and "heavy," even if not outright dark), that I might have picked it anyways for this week even if I were in the same location as my collection (which includes a few Halloween-appropriate choices such as the good old Kipling West one).

AJ

Not that anyone has been looking but I finally got my head out of my arse and did a reading exchange in our circle.
Time to get back to real life and that's all to the good.
And I had SpAm for dinner.
Signing off until tomorrow my friends.

vee

Chiriku, I'd love to hear more about how you are combining the Deck of the Week group and the IDS!