Deck of the week sign up group - week 24 - 14th -21st Jan 2011

AJ

from the list:
2. Desertrat - Lo Scarabeo Tarot
3. AJ - Lo Scarabeo Tarot

Nikki, these are two very different tarots I think. mine is based on the ancient dellarocas, Desertrats I'm guessing is the recent one that combines the three types of decks?

Emily

I'm going to do this with the Tarot of Pagan Cats. This is a new deck for me and I've only used it twice but I'm getting some strange cards so I think I'll know after a week of use whether me and this deck are suited.

NikkiB

I'm going to do this with the Tarot of Pagan Cats. This is a new deck for me and I've only used it twice but I'm getting some strange cards so I think I'll know after a week of use whether me and this deck are suited.

Glad you are joining us :) welcome to the group! there are daily draw threads and a reading circle for this group and you are more than welcome to come and join us on them!

NikkiB

from the list:
2. Desertrat - Lo Scarabeo Tarot
3. AJ - Lo Scarabeo Tarot

Nikki, these are two very different tarots I think. mine is based on the ancient dellarocas, Desertrats I'm guessing is the recent one that combines the three types of decks?

Sorry AJ I had no idea I will amend x

Cat*

Bwahaha! :laugh: I just did the most dismal first reading with the Tarot of Northern Shadows (read it on my blog). Thank goodness it wasn't for anyone else and just for practice.

The next time I'll definitely stay away from the companion book and go the all-intuitive route again.

Nevertheless, I have found something I truly hate about this deck already: many of the cards (in fact all three that I drew today) depict friends or family of the artist, and the book takes great care to tell us their full names and why they were chosen. I mean, it's fine if artists are inspired by people around them, and I don't even mind if they actually put the faces of living people into the cards. But I really don't need to know who is who and why they are in the deck since I don't know these people.

I'm still optimistic that I'll be able to give good readings to those who are exchanging with me this week because I trust that it's ultimately not the deck who makes or breaks the reading when others have a (serious) question. :)

I'll be watching your blog closely then, because I'm interested in seeing more pictures from this deck.

Mi-Shell said:
the Wheel of Change will be my deck of the week
That was one of my suggestions for the week, too. I didn't go for it, though, because I'm already a little familiar with the deck and thought I'd give one of my unused ones a go. I'm curious to see what you'll write about the deck - if in fact you find the time to do so!

MoiraKarin

The revelation tarot is a deck I bought because it looks like it might be outstanding, but I have been loath to try it fearing it may not be "all that". I'm not ready to have my hopes dashed and my illusions shattered. :p
I hope you love it :D

I can understand that. With short spreads it worked out fine. To be honest i do not know if it will be confusing in larger spreads with all that swirling energies. Let alone descrbing what i see in the card:D
I do not think i will ever take that chance .:)
I have a feeling that this deck will let the intuition do the major job
I am looking forward to try and see, though.

desertrat

Bwahaha! :laugh: I just did the most dismal first reading with the Tarot of Northern Shadows (read it on my blog). Thank goodness it wasn't for anyone else and just for practice.

The next time I'll definitely stay away from the companion book and go the all-intuitive route again.

Nevertheless, I have found something I truly hate about this deck already: many of the cards (in fact all three that I drew today) depict friends or family of the artist, and the book takes great care to tell us their full names and why they were chosen. I mean, it's fine if artists are inspired by people around them, and I don't even mind if they actually put the faces of living people into the cards. But I really don't need to know who is who and why they are in the deck since I don't know these people.

Hi Cat, tell me more about the companion book. I have the deck and was thinking that I would need the book because I couldn't tell who the deities on the Majors were supposed to be. But your post is making me think twice about it. I don't want to put forth effort to hunt down a copy of the book if it will just detract from my readings.

It seems very odd to me that the artist would identify his models in such a way. I've never encountered that before.

desertrat

I can understand that. With short spreads it worked out fine. To be honest i do not know if it will be confusing in larger spreads with all that swirling energies. Let alone descrbing what i see in the card:D
I do not think i will ever take that chance .:)
I have a feeling that this deck will let the intuition do the major job
I am looking forward to try and see, though.

I look forward to your updates :D

Flaxen

That would really put me off a deck. I don't tend to like decks which obviously show real people - I find it hard to connect when I know its supposed to represent a specific person.

Chiska

Well, I'll be dipped!

These Petit Cartomancien are nothing more then Petit Etteilla that have been "dumbed down."

Truthfully, they reeked of Etteilla from the start and I should have adjusted my thinking accordingly. Putting Lenormand from my mind, I have re-approached the cards and am faring better with them.