deck(s) with best or worst cardstock?

gregory

Baba said Moscow....

Le Fanu

Baba said Moscow....
What Moscow? Where it was printed or the company? I had always heard that Priyahi was Finnish and that the deck was printed in Finland?

I don't have my LWB or box at hand.

Le Fanu

*befuddled*

You're right.

Where did I get the Finnish connection from?

Oh well but - yes - cardstock. Nice. But not Finnish.

Gulliver

I'd like to know how the cardstock will be called used for the CBD. The CBD Tarot is has one of the best cardstocks I know.

bonebeach

I looove the Robert Place Vampire Tarot cardstock. I think people make the mistake of trying to peel the cards apart when they get it, because they are kind of fused into a brick, and that damages the cards and leaves them sticky forever. But if you just bend the brick backwards and forwards for a bit, it makes the most delicious bone crackling sound. :D And then it breaks into chunks, and then you bend those a little, and then the entire thing shuffles *like butter* forever and ever. I do riffle and bridge, but after only a few uses this deck became one of my favorites to shuffle. I would love to break a new one in--it didn't take very long at all and it was fun.

However...I don't like the super laminated US games cardstock, usually. Go figure.

FaintlyMacabre

I only notice them if they are really bad. It seems like the US Games from Belgium have been good and I have been looking for those instead of buying the new ones from who knows where.

However I see that the horrid Tarot Affirmations was a US Games deck although I don't know where that was printed. Those cards are more like sticky cardboard, something I don't like. (I don't keep it in the original box.)

I have found some of the new ones hard to shuffle like the Wildwood. I believe the Dreaming Way Tarot is my first Chinese deck and I just tried it and I don't like the stock- very stiff and slippery although I hope it will loosen up. I had to halve it to shuffle it.

In contrast, my old Londa (US Games, Belgium) shuffles beautifully and really doesn't look very worn. I suppose you might take issue with the fronts but the backs don't look bad, esp. for black. I tried the Lo Scarabeo Trevisan Crystal Tarot and it shuffles fine and looks fine too - not warped at all.

Diana

Luna's Crone

USGames in general is the best, Llewelyn and Lo Scarabeo - though the latter is better, both have way too many warping issues for me, and the cards tend to be thinner - though I did just get the Buddha Tarot published by Llewellyn and the cardstock is excellent (I wonder if the artists have anything to do with that?)

oracle of visions by CM usgames. it is sooooo crappy thin, like the llewlyn gilded deck. maybe thats how CM ordered them

Scarlet Woodland

I still loathe the Wildwood cardstock... I so wanted to love that deck but still haven't gotten over the disappointment of it chipping baldly on the first few shuffle strokes. Trimmed that little problem away but still haven't used it.

My other least favourite is the old Schiffer cardstock (Sidhe, Mary-El I'm looking at you)... however, the NEW Schiffer cardstock (as in the Didactic tarot) is divine, and easily one of my favourites.

Most fall squarely in the middle so I'm not all that fussed, though the warping on Llewellyn and a couple older US games decks does drive me potty. Have had a bad run on warped Llewellyns lately, which is a shame as I actually don't mind their cardstock otherwise.

My absolute favourite cardstock is Seven's. It has the weight of a brick-like, waxy deck but is still incredibly flexible. This means a) it's highly durable and b) is a dream to riffle (consequence free). In fact, the 1st ed Samhain Deck of the Bastard was the deck I learned to riffle with.

Having subsequently splurged on the 2nd SDotB-Red edition in her WATERPROOF cardstock however... dya know I think it might be even better :bugeyed: