decks I was wrong about - mea culpa ;)

Rhinemaiden

Until last weekend when I pre-ordered Patrick Valenza's Trionfi della Luna, I had dismissed out of hand (as being TOO creepy) his Deviant Moon tarot. I was wrong. Very wrong. The borderless version of Deviant Moon is on the way to me and I should have it by the weekend. I can't wait.

What changed my mind? I looked at the cards online... as many as I could see, and the light bulb went on over my head "I finally GET this deck!" Then I read the PDF LWB on the US Games site about the creation of the deck, and was even more convinced. The deck is brilliant.

Are there any decks you dismissed initially and finally purchased? What changed your mind?

The Reader7

No, not really. My first impressions of a particular Deck usually stays with me. Whether or not I act on the impulse to purchase it depends solely on my current financial standing. But yeah, if I do find something attractive, chances are, I'd fight tooth and nail for it, otherwise, I wouldn't even bother.

Although, admittedly, I've done a complete 180 with regards to my opinion about The Deviant Moon Tarot. I used to find them borderline creepy too, but I don't know, it's calling out to me for some odd reason. I can sense some sort of connection although I usually wouldn't touch Decks like these with a 10-foot pole.

But alas, my Anna K Tarot takes precedence over any other order. Just surprised how Deviant Moon managed to claw its way back into my life after attempting to forget about it for an entire year!

Freddie

Thoth

Doreen Virtue Angel Tarot

Freddie

Terrapin

Both the Gilded and the Hanson Roberts. The first time I saw them I thought: no, not for me. Just didn't care for the art in either. Gilded too adolescent, fantasy, teenage bedroom poster thingies. The HR too little girl, my pretty pony, cutesy mash. WRONG! I have them both and really like them both for reasons I'm not sure of. I think I just came to accept that, yes, they both have such a beautiful radiance about them and a sense of security that is comforting.

cSpaceDiva

For me it was the MRP Fantastic Menagerie. Something about the animals in this deck was off-putting to me. Once I realized they were not animals in clothes, but people disguised as animals, it clicked for me.

VioletEye

i know this doesn't precisely answer your question, but for me it was the very idea of more than three decks (RWS, morgan greer, aquarian). i didn't understand it! i would look at other cards with interest, but with no desire.
it was about a year after i began studying tarot more seriously that i squinted my eyes, put a finger to my chin, and said, "actually, maybe i DO want that devilish deviant moon..."
i LOVE the deviant moon!
i'm still really picky, and i don't have too many decks, but i do get it. :)

Aeric

Seconded for Doreen Virtue's Angel Tarot. I only have the app, but it was a noble first effort by Dorad and something unique to contribute to the corpus of Angel Tarot decks. It's fun to look at but not one I take too seriously.

However subsequent efforts have been inferior.

Eusebia

It was the Aquarian Tarot -
i thought it was too monochrome and pastel to appeal to me and on top of that more decorative than profound. Then I bought itt and tried it out. I still find it visually bland, but it gives me instant calmness and concentration when I work with it and seems to be always spot-on.

FLizarraga

Yes, the Deviant Moon. I thought it was too weird --textures gleaned from pictures of tombstones? really?-- and more than a little silly. The joke was on me, though... :) Beautiful, and it gives me detailed readings like nobody's business.

Also the Anna K. Found it ugly and juvenile. Ha! Now I have both the self-published edition and the mass market. What can I say?

agviz

Thoth for me too. At first it didn't click at all. Not that it was bad; the images just didn't grab me. Then I did what some around here might not like. I trimmed the borders. The moment I did that, the deck came alive. The images became magical and fantastic. It was the borders that had put me off and I didn't even realize it until they were gone.

Then I copper gilded the edges and made a copper-leafed box for the deck. I don't go nuts like that with a deck unless I really love it whole bunches.

I discovered that a small detail can make a big difference with how I connect with a deck. Removing the borders turned my perspective 180 degrees. Working on the deck also helped me bond with it. I now love it, but almost didn't keep it. Yikes.