Decks only available in Europe?

jlbvt

My mom is taking a trip to europe, specifically Switzerland, Austria, Italy and possibly a few other countires. She said if she gets a chance she will look in some bookstores for Tarot decks for me :)

SO I need some help here, I want to make a list of decks which aren't usually available here (in the U.S.), that she may be able to find over there. I know there are a few good Marseilles decks, but I am so confused even about those.

Anything you all could suggest would be apprieciated ;) Thanks!

Joan

Kissa

i recommend to check for Il Meneghello decks in Italy. They are expensive and rare to find elsewhere.

and they are gorgeous...

kissa

divinerguy

Look for the Swedish Witch Tarot, "Jolanda den Tredjes." Its generally well thought of, and is somewhat difficult to acquire in the USA.

gregory

If she gets to Paris, have her try actually going to Librarie l'Inconnu, on rue Cherche-midi (no website, which really annoys me !) I have found decks there I had never even heard of before, and also got the Laura Tuan decks much cheaper than elsewhere. (Have her phone you to tell you what she finds, just in case you have it though.) Also Variantes, www.variantes.com on Rue St Andre des Arts - but DON'T let her get USG ones there by mistake - they are all in French, which can really annoy you when you get back. Variantes is where I got my Manouche and my Patrick Jeau - CHEAP too - and they lovely decks which aren't easy to get outside Europe unless you want to REALLY pay (I did have to get them to order them, though. They came in in two days !) Scarabeo ones are available in Alan, in the south of France, from Somerville http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/ - I haven't tried to visit since he moved down there, but his prices for Scarabeo are excellent. He's also pretty cheap for others he has.

mythos

Das Baum Tarot is a 22 card deck ... small cards in a plastic container, but so beautiful. A friend from Germany brought it to Australia for me. Also Der Akron Tarot (which you can get from tarotgarden ... I did) ... another German deck. Unusual artwork ... that I suspect one either loves or hates. Presumably both would be available in German speaking countries like Austra, and some of Switzerland.

mythos:)

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 72
  • HP.jpg
    HP.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 69
  • sun.jpg
    sun.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 66

Imagemaker

If she gets to Paris, have her try actually going to Librarie l'Inconnu, on rue Cherche-midi (no website, which really annoys me !) I have found decks there I had never even heard of before, and also got the Laura Tuan decks much cheaper than elsewhere. (Have her phone you to tell you what she finds, just in case you have it though.) Also Variantes, www.variantes.com on Rue St Andre des Arts

I'm so excited to see this Gregory! I've just found out I'm going to Paris (staying in Orsay, to the south) in November. I'll try to find these places, thanks!

gregory

Take a large credit card and clear the balance..... (I hope the stores don't disappoint.) You can ask Variantes in particular about the Manouche and the Jeau - as to the Inconnu - you might find almost anything there..... That's where I got all myTuans and the Mondes Intergalactiques - and indeed the St Jacques...
But anyway - go to the Playing card museum as well - there are loads of wonderful old decks there. Just off the end of the Metro at Issy.....

I LOVE Paris..... time to go again. Ride the buses all over - far more fun than the Metro - get a Carte Orange and then it doesn't matter if you get lost, just get another and see where you end up - you can ride everywhere and not pay any extra !

Want to know where to eat as well ??? (no, half the fun is finding your own !) ONE serious tip - they sell wonderful crepes on the street. Don't have egg in one. That was the worst food poisoning I ever had - it was JUST undercooked and - well, you DON'T want to know !

Imagemaker

All suggestions and warnings are welcome! I've been before, but only passing through for a day. This time we'll be in the area 8 days, time to get into lots of trouble :)

WolfSpirit

I think the Soprafino is also only available in Europe ?

German decks like the Ananda and Margarete Peterson can be bought in US as well but are definitely cheaper here.
Maybe you will still find a Margarete Peterson with purple borders in some German shops, it seems to be getting difficult to get that one over the net.