Decks really used?

Water Lady

Just wondering, How many deck in your collections do you really use?
and
In buying new decks do you suddenly find one that 'work' for you where the others did not?

couriously Nancy

gregory

I don't use all mine FOR READING. I do use them to look and and study.

And the day the Baroque Bohemian Cats arrived was a turning point in my reading experience ! It is THE one, when I need a solid reading; the Mystic Faerie also turns out to work well, which amazed me; I "knew" it wouldn't and only read with it in the first place for a bet !

I currently read with about 15 of my decks; I regularly try new ones.

Papageno

Nan said:
Just wondering, How many deck in your collections do you really use?
and
In buying new decks do you suddenly find one that 'work' for you where the others did not?

couriously Nancy

you can get an idea from the results of this poll from last year:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=73045

speaking for myself, realistically I only read with approx 2% of my collection

room

And then there are people like me who USE them but don't often read with them.

There is something to be said for art and colour inspiration or card-a-day reflection or just messing around enjoying your cards or writing with them as impetus or a number of other excercises.

I do find it tiresome when people think the only thing you can do with them is a conventional reading.

Emily

I've read with 99% of my decks, others I just use for study or keep for the artwork. I do have some decks that, for me, just aren't readable but I like the artwork and everyone of my decks has their place in my collection.

I do trade decks on, but only if I'm sure I'll never read with them. I wouldn't replace a deck that I've already traded on and I've never regretted sending any deck away.

All in all I read with about 10 decks regularly but I also have my main reading decks of the Morgan Greer, Old Path, Victorian Romantic, Renaissance and now the Haindl. :)

Papageno

room said:
And then there are people like me who USE them but don't often read with them.

There is something to be said for art and colour inspiration or card-a-day reflection or just messing around enjoying your cards or writing with them as impetus or a number of other excercises.

I do find it tiresome when people think the only thing you can do with them is a conventional reading.

well that sounds like a lot of fun and I'm sure it must be very gratifying for a creative individual such as yourself to benefit from the inspiration that the diverse spectrum of Tarot art provides; and then there are those of us who collect and fully appreciate the depth and beauty of the art as we would a painting in a gallery or museum, in addition to reading with select favorites in a "conventional" manner.

not all tarot collectors collect simply for it's own sake or with a mind to reap a profit.

room

Papageno said:
not all tarot collectors collect simply for it's own sake or with a mind to reap a profit.

Yes, and if you look back on threads about collectors you will see that I have similar views on collections. I've often told you how much I enjoy your collection and its diversity.

Why if I like to do something, or if I talk about something like books or art that I make, or what particularly I find tiresome, do you feel it is a directed denigration of YOU?

I like what I like, it is not a dig at you unless you twist it into one.

gregory

Papageno said:
Thanks for that ! I love all mine but That One, and I do look at them a lot; reading is by no means my only "use" for them ! - I do collect - but absolutely NOT for profit or "convenience".

Mind you, the daughter who gets to inherit them is hoping to make a bit..... ;)

Papageno

room said:
Yes, and if you look back on threads about collectors you will see that I have similar views on collections. I've often told you how much I enjoy your collection and its diversity.

Why if I like to do something, or if I talk about something like books or art that I make, or what particularly I find tiresome, do you feel it is a directed denigration of YOU?

I like what I like, it is not a dig at you unless you twist it into one.

I was speaking in general terms, just as you were.

my commentary was an observation, not a rebuke, although you chose to take it as such.

LeBasteleur

This is my 1st post :grin:!

I have about 15 decks, and I read with only 1 these days.

gregory said:
And the day the Baroque Bohemian Cats arrived was a turning point in my reading experience ! It is THE one, when I need a solid reading

I was thinking exactly the same thing about my Thoth deck. When I bought it, it's like there was an immediate connection between the deck and my subconscious. I can rely on it anytime, so why would I need more decks?