Do piercings affect the energy flow of the body?

Marirowana

I think it depends what tradition you come from. In some Chinese traditions much is made of the balance of elements in the body, depending on one's characteristics and date of birth. For example, some people have a surplus of metal in their personalities so it isn't recommended they add to that by wearing jewelry.

In Jewish tradition all extraneous things must be removed before burial as the body must be free of anything impure before the Day of Resurrection. Even tattoos are removed.

But again, it depends on what you place your beliefs in. I had three piercing on my ears, a pierced eyebrow, a tattoo and a nipple ring and I liked them all immensely. Now I'm older and down to only the tattoo but I don't subscribe to the idea that it can affect my energies anyway.

That's interesting, I didn't know that about Jewish tradition.

I have a friend who works in a tattoo shop in Amsterdam, and an extra service they offer is the preservation of the tattooed skin after death. Not for any religious or cultural reasons, but for aesthetical reasons. They can preserve it in a liquid, or treat it like leather. They have a lot of people on their list, none of them died yet, but it is a bit controversial. I'm curious to see how that first project turns out (and about what the law would say about it).

I agree on that what you put your beliefs in, is the most important.

Agree in 100% And of course, we can't forget about personal choices.

I don't like piercings in general. I don't even wear earrings. When I wanted, after few days I got enough and removed them. There's no trace of piercing in my ears. Is it spiritual? Possible 'cause I don't feel ok around specific metals which are pretty "groundy".

I don't have tattoos, my "main" tradition is accepting tattoos (shia islam) and you can see shia wearing them. In my husband's tradition of sunni islam, no ink under the skin. But in my personal opinion - I find tattoos and scarifications very potent. Maybe in the future I'll end up with a tattoo for more spiritual purposes. But the truth is, I find them beautiful anyway.
I think tattoos can be a very powerful personal symbol. And I find them beautiful as well :)

Mine is covering my half of my back and is symbolically linked to my roots, my loved one(s), ideals and life goals. Carrying it so permanently is very empowering, and also a reminder of the transience of the body. For me personally, that is. Every tattoo has it's own purpose.

Interesting question. I'm a big proponent of the mind/body connection. So, if you believe your energy will be affected by piercings, then it probably will be. Myself, I have a few piercings/tattoos, but have never considered how they might affect the flow of my energy. And since I haven't thought of it, there has been no noticeable difference.

I fully agree with you on this, I think what you believe and the intention is the most important factor. And numerous things could influence that intention, like cultural, religious or spiritual factors.

Thanks everyone :)

AJ

"Ofcourse that's an average, and very local, and it says nothing about what was first: the tattoo or the self-esteem. "Marirowana

I would think that survey says more about confidence combined with university.
I would also be interested in the date of the survey. Not too long ago women usually chose discrete tattoos. Today I often see legs, arms and face tattoos in all walks of life.

Keep digging ;)

MandMaud

I would imagine that to have a tattoo on your bottom or belly, or anywhere that's usually covered, requires a strong (confident) body image - because tattoos are mainly for showing, and if you hate to show off your body you wouldn't decorate it! So that would mean the confidence comes before the tattoo.

I have been planning for years that I will have ONE tattoo - when I'm perfectly certain where, and what. Nothing showy, something subtle and lovely. I find them beautiful too, but so many are clichéd. And yes, for me it has always been about aesthetics. I suppose they are what beauty spots were in the old days. But also, for me, it has a lot to do with identity, who I am and who I'm seen as - which is spiritual, for me. Symbols are so potent. And a permanent symbol such as a tattoo seems something very important to get right.

I don't believe in surgery that isn't medically necessary, anyway, so I've never considered cosmetic surgery (though if I had loads of money, I confess I'd be tempted to shrink my tum ;)). But where should we draw the line - wearing braces on the teeth?

Looks do matter to the person (as opposed to merely the image). Think of make-up; think of wearing shades, or a mohican, or dreads. It's about identity, belonging, etc; and about role. Think of robes for ritual, or uniforms, or actors, or transvestism. Dressing up to be in a school play released an entirely different person, I remember - and I'm sure it will again when I get into am dram one day. Think of children wearing a fairy costume or a gorilla mask. We shouldn't belittle the strong effect of changing our appearance in any way at all. Think of wedding rings...

I had my ears pierced as a teen because it was the done thing; and then in my late 20s or early 30s, I had one more earring because I wanted to look as if I'd been interesting in my teens! Which I wasn't! :laugh: But I've never regretted it and it does "fit" who I actually am (as opposed to the shy, conforming teenager I used to be).

My shiatsu practitioner has always seen my insulin injections as a bad thing for my body and my health. I can't do without them! But since childhood I have injected and all my adult life I've also tested my blood sugars by fingerprick. Several times a day. In the last few years, I wear an insulin pump instead of injecting - which means a cannula permanently attached. I used to wear a tube, and now I have a remote-control one which means a bigger "pod" but no tube. She really isn't happy about this! She, and a friend who qualified in Traditional Chinese Medicine, were unhappy about having surgery because of the anaesthetic (especially the epidural, which goes right into a very important strength centre). As much about the "piercing" as the anaesthesia.

I'm sure that it must affect energy flow, one way or another. But the effect will be enhanced, maybe modified, by awareness and intent. All effects depend (at least to a large extent if not 100%) on intent. I'm sure we can defend against ill effects - and I'm sure that if we work it at the time of piercing, the piercing can be made to work as a kind of healing.

But I'm not qualified to be sure! And I wouldn't presume to advise someone else. I suppose that since I didn't think about this until years after I began injecting (when I was six), I'm predisposed to think it's no big deal for the energy body. But who knows, maybe it's the root of all my problems. ;)

Padma

I sort of forgot that plastic surgery technically counts as body modification as well. I share your opinion that that kind of alterations hardly ever lead to an increased self-esteem, in general.

I'm trying to find the research article I was talking about, but it doesn't want to show up... I remember that it was a study with about 2500 female participants from American universities, and the conclusion was 'Woman with tattoos show a significant higher self esteem'. Ofcourse that's an average, and very local, and it says nothing about what was first: the tattoo or the self-esteem. But I found it interesting and made me think about the effects of this kind of body art on the psyche.

Interesting, did the ear piercings do anything for the migraines? Wether it would work or not, doctors nowadays around here would never show a sign of such a holistic view, unfortunately.

I think it did help her, if I recall. Even if just the power of suggestion! From the stories my parents told me, doctors were indeed more open to the holistic view back then.

In regard to tatts being suggestive of self-confidence, I have four - but again, I did it for personal reasons! Still, it is a very interesting theory that it may be linked to self-esteem. I think MandMaude made a good point about using looks and tatts and hair and all that as a way to delineate one's place and personae in the world :)

Would love to see the study, if you do find it!

earthair

I would say yes.
Sound is energy and when I listen to or play music wearing earrings, then I feel them interfere with the natural path of the vibrations.
At the end of the day sometimes I feel a crowded fuzziness around my head/ears and it's a relief to take them out.

Other metals- I don't wear any metal at all in bed, I even take my wedding ring off.

seedcake

I would imagine that to have a tattoo on your bottom or belly, or anywhere that's usually covered, requires a strong (confident) body image - because tattoos are mainly for showing, and if you hate to show off your body you wouldn't decorate it! So that would mean the confidence comes before the tattoo.

In general about tattoos. We can't forget that this modification, with scarifications, are one of the oldests. In almost every part of the world we can find tradition of tattoos - ancient Celts (I really believe that inhabitants of Ireland and Scotland were tattooing themselves instead of paiting), Maori, or Beduin woman in Northern Africa and Middle East. In most cases it was about showing tribe connections or social status. It haven't changed much in modern world but here's one big difference - it was about place in society, in our modern times is about showing off your certain lifestyle, a very personal thing. I find it pretty interesting since I really like traditional looking tattoos.

SunsetKay

Interesting question. I'm a big proponent of the mind/body connection. So, if you believe your energy will be affected by piercings, then it probably will be. Myself, I have a few piercings/tattoos, but have never considered how they might affect the flow of my energy. And since I haven't thought of it, there has been no noticeable difference.

This. So much this. It all depends on what you personally believe. I have my "line of fire" (as I call it), pierced. I believe it strengthened certain energies I felt I was lacking.

And I'm tattooed to heck and back. I have my working mark at the top of my spine, as is traditional for us. It means I've been taught and is proof of family. The rest of my tattoos are my life story. All but the two on my fingers and the one on my wrist can be hidden. The two finger tattoos on my right hand are for earth and air. The marks add to the connection.

Aster Breo

I think it did help her, if I recall. Even if just the power of suggestion! From the stories my parents told me, doctors were indeed more open to the holistic view back then.

Interesting.

I've had severe migraine since childhood, and my ears were first pieced when I was a teen, I added a second set of holes about 15 years ago, and a cartilage piercing not long after that. The piercings have never had any effect on my migraine symptoms.

I've looked into every traditional and non-traditional migraine treatment I've ever heard of, and never seen any evidence suggesting piercings could help. Since migraine is a neurological disorder, I wouldn't expect piecing to make any difference.

Tanga

OK...
(and pardon me - I've not read thoroughly through the whole thread, so it's possible I may not quite make sense :) ).

I believe that piercings do affect the energetics of the body (ala Chinese medicine theory. AND/or ala our general western understanding of physiology, where any modification/injury etc. effects how the body works in response to the modification.).
But - by how much, depends on a myriad of factors including ones beliefs (cultural or otherwise), sensitivity and health status. (and there's nothing you can do about it if it's medically necessary as in MandMauds case. And since this has been from age 6 - would an alternative have been better? I have my doubts.)

Permanent body adornment is as ancient as non-permanent adornment (jewellery, make-up etc.) as has been pointed out - both used in the same myriad of ways to further define ones-self to ones-self or - to others. Or as a badge of acceptance or achievement within a group.

Re: Tattoos:
I have 3 tattoos. The 1st acquired in my 40th year. (the largest is about 5 inch in diameter).
I designed them all myself and had them done in the midst of a ritual format (at Samhain/Halloween - the witches new year...after a 1 week planetary meditation) - and each one holds a myriad of meaning expressing my identity, my acknowledgement of my self-construction, my spiritual ideas, and a tribute to the life influences that have shaped who I am. (of course - no one else will understand this - unless I explain it.Lol).
My tattoos - are magickal living sigils in my eyes. :) :) :)

(Plus - there's the whole world of tattooing to cover-up scaring or re-shape the appearance of the body from injury and operations - which I see sometimes in my line of work - following cancer surgery for instance.).

Where I originally come from (Kenya) - tattooing comes in the form of scarring only, for some tribes.
I'm uncertain if it's still in practice now... possibly.

Here's an interesting aside about tattoos:
At and around the site, the body becomes more proprio-receptively aware. In essence, the tattooing process has encouraged the body to be "more awake" in that area.
When I read this - I thought (a bit wildly) "Hmm - then I should get a whole arm sleeve on my left arm! Seeing as this is the arm I have less motor control and awareness over, due to my particular version of hypermobility syndrome".

:joke:

MandMaud

Tanga, this is all really interesting!

My tattoos - are magickal living sigils in my eyes. :) :) :)

You have worded it, but this is how I feel about my own (non-existent yet) tattoos.

The way you describe yours is beautiful. :)

Here's an interesting aside about tattoos:
At and around the site, the body becomes more proprio-receptively aware. In essence, the tattooing process has encouraged the body to be "more awake" in that area.
When I read this - I thought (a bit wildly) "Hmm - then I should get a whole arm sleeve on my left arm! Seeing as this is the arm I have less motor control and awareness over, due to my particular version of hypermobility syndrome".

:joke:

Fascinating. I wonder if it could, seriously, be some help to stroke victims etc, as well? Even in dementia, maybe... though can you imagine doctors prescribing tattooing? :bugeyed:

I have heard that when people suffer more than average amounts of pain in infancy, they're more likely to have above-average pain (eg pain conditions) in adulthood. Seems similar, that the body and/or brain is somehow "taught" to feel. One of the things about fibromyalgia (the condition I happen to know most about) is that the brain learns to feel more pain than usual for the same stimuli... if I remember right, more nerves actually grow - or maybe more pain-receptor brain cells corresponding to the nerves.

(This sends some people into despair, but I decided that if my brain/nerves, let's say bodymind, could physically learn to perceive more pain, then it could be taught to perceive less, and so I'm working with that - with success, so far. :))

(I'm also very interested about hypermobility syndrome but can't really make it relevant to this thread. ;))