Do you need "real" cards to be able to read?

Anna

I recently asked if I could join a reading circle using scans of the images of the decks found online as I cannot afford to buy the required deck. I was very surprised when I was told that I would not be able to join in with the exchange because some people think there is a considerable difference between reading from a "real" card and a scanned imaged, and they may have felt uncomfortable being partnered with me as a result.

I have not started this thread to debate the decision made by the Circle Host. Obviously, how they run their circle is up to them and I accept the decision that was made.

But I did wonder if we could discuss this issue, because it's the first time I've heard of people thinking this way and differentiating between readings done using "real" cards and scanned images or the cards.

As I wrote on the thread where this issue came up; for me it is exactly the same, whether the card is in my hands or an image on a screen. In fact, most of my readings are done using a mobile phone tarot app, so no doubt there are some people who wouldn't consider my style of reading proper or valid at all!!!

The cards are just tools, aren't they?

The card image is what we use to inform our reading. Whether they are in our hands, on our screens, or just images we can recall in our minds - what's the difference?

Does it really make a difference to be physically holding and touching the card?

It's the reader's ability that matters, not how they are accessing the images, surely?

Is a reading only valid if it is done using a physical tarot deck?

When I have ran reading circles in the past, I have actively encouraged the use of on-line scans as a way of encouraging people to try a deck that might be out of their comfort zone before committing to buy it. My experience has been that readings done using the scanned images where every bit as valid, accurate and useful as those done by readers using the actual deck. For me, it was also important to take into account the fact that people may be on limited resources financially, and I would not want the fact that someone could not afford to buy a deck to prevent them from taking part, and for that reason also I encouraged the use of scans.

On the other side of the coin, of course, the question could be asked: is it fair to deck creators and publishers to read using online scans of their cards instead of paying for use of the deck?

I think this all raises some useful questions and I would be very interesting to hear other people's opinions on this.

GryffinSong

Ignoring the issue of artist compensation, I have no issue whatsoever with real cards vs. virtual cards. I, like you, read off the image. While I enjoy the physicality of shuffling and dealing out a physical card, its irrelevant to me in terms of what I get out of the cards themselves.

Zephyros

How would you shuffle a scan?

GryffinSong

LOL, closrapexa, I thought of that after I posted my response! Although I imagine a programmer could come up with a random generator of some kind.

Anna

You have to pull the cards using any deck you have, then look for a scan of the corresponding image and read that.

GryffinSong

Interesting, Anna. Good way to go about it.

I did see the reply about virtual decks in the reading circle. I suppose I'm on the fence about it in that context. For me it might rather go to the artist compensation side of things, but I'm not sure. I, for instance, am not participating in that circle because I don't have a deck that qualifies. Perhaps it feels to me like the price of admission to the circle is to actually own the deck.

Very interesting question, though, and it does bring up a number of potential issues. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use an online or book image to read for myself. In fact, I've used online reading generators, such as the one for the Touchstone Tarot on Kat Black's page. But I don't think it would cross my mind to use one of those to read for someone else.

Zephyros

I actually hadn't thought of that, although it makes sense, although I can't say I have an opinion about the reading circle question. As to compensation, there is a site (I forgot which one) that does have an agreement with the major publishers, and it has full scans of the decks, with all the cards.

tarotbear

I would really like to have the ceiling of my dining room look like the Sistiene Chapel - but I can't do that, so a picture of the real Sistiene Chapel ceiling will do just as well.

If you took your favorite Tarot card to the bakery and had then turn it into the decoration on the top of the cake (like they do with people's head shots) - is that 'not' still a Tarot card?

I think those people need to get over it.

When you asked about scans I figured you would print your own and paste them on cardboard and make your own deck - many people have done that.

rwcarter

The cards are just tools, aren't they?

The card image is what we use to inform our reading. Whether they are in our hands, on our screens, or just images we can recall in our minds - what's the difference?

Does it really make a difference to be physically holding and touching the card?

It's the reader's ability that matters, not how they are accessing the images, surely?

Is a reading only valid if it is done using a physical tarot deck?
There are at least a couple of threads over in Experimental Techniques where folks aren't using physical cards to do their readings. An incomplete list:
So, a reader may not need physical tarot cards in order to do a tarot reading.

Annabelle

I don't think physical cards are necessary. They are nice, but not necessary. I do readings for myself all the time using apps on my iPad and my phone. The image is where the magic happens . . . whether it's digital or something on paper. Either way, I'm holding it in my hand and reading it.