Does anyone have THIS RW deck?

Fragments

Definitely has the mustard yellow!

I would recommend it for your needs yes. And it's not one to break the bank!

Aerin

This was my first RWS, it is in print still.

It has a muted coilour scheme that I wasn't keen on at first but it grew on me and now I find the standard USG RWS a bit pedestrrian looking. Especially the skies, I like the moody effect of the greeny colour as against crayon blue.

The backs are stunning - my favourite. See http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/original-rider-waite/

I think that it is a deck that grows on you.

My copy is an earlier one, not sure of the date, but more recent printings are not as good. There is a thread somewhere I'm sure.

Le Fanu

This is actually my favourite RWS (apart from my Pam B). I have two of the Printed in Belgium 1993 ones. I believe there is a pixelated, not-so-hot Printed in Italy one but nowadays they are printing in China and I believe it is better.

The backs are beautiful (the blue rose & lilly design).

Over the years I have warmed more and more to this edition. And despite the complaints when it first came out, I have to say, next to my Pam B it isn't that far from the printing (even though I believe it is a copy of a Pam C). I feel reassured that it does have authentic vintage colours.

I find the tea-staining of the Commemorative deck a bit too forced, I don't like the unrhythmic backs (graphically they don't *work*) and I feel that the cardstock will never feel comfortably soft and floppy. My Original RWs is aging beautifully.

greatdane

THANK U, Le Fanu!

Was waiting for you to pop in because I know you have many decks and could give me some good comparison pluses and minuses!

GD

greatdane

Aerin and Fragments

Thank you for your comments. It's so nice to hear from people who actually have the decks! Scans make it a bit...difficult.

Aerin

Le Fanu said:
I find the tea-staining of the Commemorative deck a bit too forced, I don't like the unrhythmic backs (graphically they don't *work*) and I feel that the cardstock will never feel comfortably soft and floppy.

Yes, I agree. I know that a lot of people like the deck but the backs are a huge deal breaker for me.

MoonGypsy

i have never had this one that you are discussing!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/original-rider-waite/

i adore the look of it and the backs are beautiful as well! :heart: i think i may need to get this one before too long. Just got to make sure it is either a Belgium print [my preference] or a China print. :heart:

Aerin

People have always been divided on this deck.

I'd read the threads on Aeclectic, and also you should be able to pick one up for almost nothing on ebay.

karen0205

It is one of my favorites. The regular RWS decks always seem to have such obnoxious coloring. That was the first thing that drew me to this deck was the nice color scheme. The cardstock is nice, a little slippery at first but it should hold up well to lots of use. The cards are a nice size and easy to shuffle and use. I would get this one before the traditional colored one in the yellow box.