Does anyone have THIS RW deck?

gregory

Le Fanu said:
And mine was free. Found in an abandoned house by a builder friend of mine! Saved from the skip/dumpster! And complete!
*kill kill* yes I saw that thread.....

Um and as to your other question....

I quote Teheuti:

The period from the Second World War up till now would need another article, but it shall shortly be said that after the pattern war, Rider continued publishing the Waite-Smith deck. It was now printed in offset and came in heavy blue boxes. The line art was exactly as the illustrations in “The Pictorial Key” and as in Pam-A. In the same period the remakes began to show up. In the 1960’s a tarot revival began, stimulated by the flower-power and hippie communities particularly in the US, who took to tarot as a card reading tool. A well-known pack from 1968 is the recoloring by Frankie Albano, keeping to Smiths line art, but using a more intensive color scheme. Albano’s packs came in several sizes and were packed in yellow boxes. Great economical interests came in.
In 1971, Mr. Stuart R. Kaplan of US Games Systems Inc. saw the light and obtained a licence from Riders to publish the Waite-Smith Tarot. USGS’ decks came in yellow boxes quite similar to Albano’s, all USGS cards were marked with “© USGames 1971” and - here Rider’s name came in - the deck was now called “THE RIDER TAROT”, later changed to “RIDER TAROT” only.

and:

• Blue lift-off box with World card (yellow wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. End flap of box: “First edition 1910/ Reprinted many times to 1939/ Second edition 1971. Rider & Co, 3 Fitzroy Square, London W1 “in association with Waddington Playing Card Co Ltd;” No copyright on cards. Accompanying “Key to the Tarot” (same image as box): book (sold separately) says: “All Rights Reserved” First published 1910/This edition 1972/Second impression 1973/Third impression 1974. ISBN 0 09 109351 1. Lines sharper and colors slightly more intense than later versions. Not laminated.
• Slightly lighter blue lift-off box with World card (green wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. Rider & Co. -17-21 Conway Street - London W1P6JD. Copyright on lower right margins of cards. Same quality as U.S. Games. Not laminated.
• Purple lift-off box with Fool card. Copyright on cards.
• Royal blue with World and Fool on lift-off box. Rider & Co. (Random House). UK distribution only, March 1987. ISBN 0091093406

Looks like pre 1974 for no copyright - which surprises me as I would have thought pre 1971...

I will get Jensen's book out later. Or check Holly's site, of course :)

greatdane

Gregory, Le Fanu and Teheuti

Thank you so much for finding that from Teheuti and adding, Gregory! That helps a lot as I'm eming some private vendors online re a Rider and Co. deck.

Thank you for more info as well, Le Fanu. I'm HOPING a private owner on Amazon who has a used copy (and I am asking they check various things on the decks so I know what I'm getting) MAY just have one I want. We'll see. You know how sometimes you can go to estate sales or even little used stores and find treasures? I'm not hoping for a really old one, just one without US Games emblazoned on it and with decent stock.

I turn sixty on Thursday and it has become my quest to find a decent, used original (well, original repro) Rider Waite I want and can afford! Now THAT would mark the occasion!

Thanks for everyone's help re just defining what certain decks are and aren't.

GD

Freddie

Hope you enjoy it GD!!!

Freddie

greatdane

Thank you, Freddie! I am still looking, but I will get the Pamela Coleman Comm Set as well, even if only for the Pamela extra goodies it comes with! I still want another deck as well and crossing fingers it will surface and be one I want to read with.

Have a great day!

GD

yirabeth

I don't have the blue-box yet, (someday!) but of all the RWS decks I have, I like the 1971 USG Switzerland Muller & Cie printing one best..there are no copyrights on the card, and the cardstock is to die for..and they're really not expensive! It's my most treasured deck at the moment.

They come up on ebay every so often. You just have to see the back, and make sure it says "Printed in Switzerland byMuller & Cie" instead of "Printed in Switzerland Expressly for U.S. Games Systems, Inc" Any view of the cards will NOT have the copyright in the bottom right corner. (the second one is also nice, a bit like the 'normal' every day USG RWS but lighter on the lamination, and a bit different on the color)

I have scanned the back of the box of both decks, in case you're interested. Ya know, if you're not sure which older deck you want, and want something affordable, or maybe wish to compare. Or something. LOL

The Switzerland Muller & Cie is the one that has the fantastic card stock. It's not really streaky like the picture indicates on the Fool; I have a craptastic scanner. And my photography skill is worse! I spent 20 minutes trying for a decent photo before opting for the scanner.

If you find an auction and can't see the box back, look at the cards -- in the bottom right corner in VERY tiny print is a copyright on the not-so-desirable deck. (Top right in this particular picture.) The colors really aren't identical, the Muller & Cie tends to be a bit more muted. But not by a HUGE amount.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=467498&l=66d7412fc4&id=100000739536373

greatdane

Thanks so much, Yirabeth!

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and trouble you went to!

I need all the info and advice I can get! There are so many versions and it's not just who printed, but when and sometimes it just boggles the mind!

Thanks for the pix too!

Blessings,
GD