does anyone use a minors-only deck regularly...?

donnalee

I have some decks (mostly independent-press) where I HATE the majors, or most of the majors. In some cases, they seem drawn so that every single one seems sinister or negative or frivolous or whatever, to the point where it feels almost prejudicial to me, in the sense that *I* feel prejudiced against all of them or against too many of them just based on feeling-response from myself. It occurred to me that I might just try leaving the majors out and using the rest of the deck in some of these cases (including the court cards) since they seem to be fine to me, and see how it goes.

Does anyone else do this, or have insider tips on perspectives etc.? I'll try it myself and report what goes on. I know there are major-only decks, but I have not heard of this per se--I have heard of regular playing cards used for fortunetelling and as tarot parallels, but not this yet--

I could also combine decks and put the majors from another in, etc., but that seems like another deck question entirely, and I am already happy with my deck-combining habits! I am also willing to examine the cards I dislike etc., as I would with any deck, but that is not the question here either.

Thanks for letting me know your experiences with minors-only decks, or using the minors-only of decks and maybe if there are traditions of this already somewhere.

euripides

Interesting question. I'd wondered why when I saw the thread title, and your explanation makes sense.

Sometimes the majors are also a bit - over the top, you know. Big drama. They seem too much when you're asking about a small issue.

I think people do read with regular playing-card decks, and there'd be a lot of similarity. I'll be reading the replies with interest.

Padma

I enjoy using minors-only for readings that hinge on the mundane. If my client is not spiritual in the least, and their questions focus on small matters, I don't see any reason to keep the majors in. I remove them all, and use only aces-through-kings to do the reading. Makes us all happy :)

Padma

Sometimes the majors are also a bit - over the top, you know. Big drama. They seem too much when you're asking about a small issue.

Exactly my point, in regard to what I posted. ;)

delinfrey

Why not just use Lenormand or playing cards? Or Kipper?

Padma

Why not just use Lenormand or playing cards? Or Kipper?

Myself, I do that as well. But tarot has very significant symbolism and information tied to the minors, that the Kipper or Lennies do not. I think in fact in the case of the minors-only deck, the Kipper/Lennies adds something to it, but the backbone of the reading is definitely the tarot.

But that is just my view. :)

euripides

Exactly my point, in regard to what I posted. ;)

made me smile. It's always nice to find your thoughts are in tune with those of someone with your experience!

Thoughtful

l have never thought about doing this, but it does sound like something l would like to try. Would love to hear from you donnalee as to how you get on with readings minors only.
Padma do you use this method with general readings which can cover love, home, career questions etc. or just for the one off mundane questions.

nisaba

I'm using the Russian Snake Tarot quite regularly: it is a Minors-only deck. It works extremely well for all kinds of readings, mundane and spiritual, trivial and important.

Padma

made me smile. It's always nice to find your thoughts are in tune with those of someone with your experience!

Wow! Thanks for the kind comment! :love:

Padma do you use this method with general readings which can cover love, home, career questions etc. or just for the one off mundane questions.

I still use the same spreads, and yes, I do it for questers who are not at all interested in karma or spiritual aspects. Not everyone is! (and - I hope I understood your question? :heart: )

I'm using the Russian Snake Tarot quite regularly: it is a Minors-only deck. It works extremely well for all kinds of readings, mundane and spiritual, trivial and important.

I wish it were other than a snake deck - can't stand snakes! You know though I never thought of the minors as touching on anything spiritual...maybe I should revisit my thoughts on that, just to see if I can feel that (I haven't so far - but as we all know very well, everyone has their own way to read which works very well for them! A difference of mileage does not mean a wrong way!)