Does prayer really change things?

Kaleidoscope Eyes

This morning I was standing outside the coffee house where I work, enjoying the Spring-like weather, when a car went by that had one of those "message" license plates on the front. This one said "Prayer changes things."

It's not a new expression by any means, but as I got to reflecting on it, I naturally thought of this forum, and that I'd like to throw the question out for comment.

So, what about your experiences with prayer? If you "do" it, can you tell of any times when it has made a difference somehow; has, indeed, changed things?

I'm truly curious.

Kiama

It seems there are different types of prayer:

1) Petition, where your prayer is asking for a specific thing, eg- Please, God, heal my Mother, or Please, God, I want to get this job...

2) Thanking, eg- Thankyou God, for helping me get this job

3) Praising eg- Oh, God Almighty, you are the greatest, simply the best, better than all the rest, etc....

4) Confessing eg- Dear God, I am sorry for gossiping behind my friend's back. I know I shouldn't have done it, and I am truly sorry.

5) Then there's the prayer where you just talk. Tell how you feel....

Of course, one prayer can include all bits of those above types of prayer... As to whether or not prayer changes anything: If you pray like Type 4 or 5, I think it changes something inside *you* It makes you feel better, helps you through troubles, bit like a counselling session. But if you pray like Type 1, I don't know. Maybe the power of your will does help, maybe there really is a God who will grant wishes... Who knows?

I usually just praise, thank, talk, etc... I have a good old chit chat with the Gods! I certainly feel better for it!

Kiama

amyel

My mom says it works. She prays, I don't. So I'll take her word on it.

raeanne

I don?t remember all the details but I did hear about a hospital that did a study to see if prayer helps people heal. They had a group of patients that didn?t have any family or friends. Some of these patients had their names given to a person to pray for them to heal and the other patients didn?t have anyone praying for them. The results were very supportive for prayer. I don?t remember the actual statistics but the patients that had prayers said for them healed better, faster, and with fewer complications. The doctors and nurses were not told which patients were being prayed for and which ones weren?t. It was an interesting study.

lunar_rabbit

Well, I could get into an entire philosophical religiony thing here, but I won't bother since it's waaaay past my bedtime!

I think prayer does change things for two reasons. First of all, if you believe that there is a power greater than you, then you can allow yourself to not take on the entire burden of your life. This frees you to change things you DO have control over. Second, prayer is a quiet, meditative activity. It is healthy for the body and mind to take a few moments to sit and reflect. Being healthy and centered makes you a better part of society -- less tense and angry, perhaps. That definitely changes things.

Even the rote "Now I lay me down to sleep" type prayers can have their benefits, in just the mere fact of it being a cue for a child to turn off their active selves and go to bed.

....??...

Sheesh, from reading my note, you'd think I was a dedicated praying person. ... Maybe I should take my own advice! LOL

Good night!

nexyjo

i pray every day. it changed my life. yes, prayer can have a significant effect on "things".
luv and light,
nexy

Moonklad

I believe that prayer can change things. In my own religion, Wicca, I believe that spells are simply prayers with props. To me a prayer is a way of focusing your energy and to an extent forming an intent (a desired outcome) in the astral plane. In turn this thought form manifests within the "real" world. This is how I understand spells as well as prayers work.I believe this is why prayers of ALL different religions do make a difference. It's not that some distant omnipotent deity is "answering" prayers. I think the prayer and the person praying is performing a spell..and that each person is in fact making there own outcome.
blessings,
Moon

MeeWah

Based on personal experiences (& from seeing the results in the lives of others) I most heartily agree that prayer can change *things*, as Lunar_rabbit & Moonklad have so aptly explained.
I also think of spellwork as "prayer with props" & practice meditation/prayer & spellwork.
Instead of fighting Universe/the Most High/ThePowersThatBe, etc, or blocking the flow of life energy, the simple act of praying can establish a link to the Source of all life. In prayer, one seeks to align one's will with that Source. It can be a conscious or unconscious decision. Prayer opens a path of communication so that guidance or blessings may be received, provided one is listening & paying attention.
Healing as a result of prayer can take many forms other than the improvement of conditions or recovery from dis-ease. It can also provide "protection" in the form of "messages" that guide one through the daily life in different areas of that life.
Whether one prays or not, the course of life's events provide signposts or "wake-up calls".
Meditation is an important adjunct to prayer. It teaches us to quiet the mundane mind to listen to that quiet voice within/God/dess. In prayer, one speaks to that voice.

Diana

Definitely.

Jeanette

I believe in the power of prayers. Kiama, there may be another type of prayer, one offered up to help others in need. You are simply praying for the benefit of others, without them necessarily knowing about it. I like to pray the rosary, the repetition is very soothing and relaxing for me. You meditate as you're praying, on the different aspects of the life of Christ (mysteries). But it's almost a type of Goddess praying! There are a lot of benefits to praying, I think, no matter how you do it! I think group prayers are very, very strong, too.