Expectations for Lenormand vs other decks

Teheuti

What are you hoping to get out of Lenormand that you don't get from an Oracle deck that encourages you to use your own meanings or has a more positive or more modern outlook? Do you expect anything different from a Lenormand deck than from any other oracle or divinatory deck? If so, what? How or why do you think that happens? How is your expected result best achieved when using Lenormand?

[Note: You might just like Lenormand because you like the pretty pictures or the size of most decks - don't hesitate to mention this or any other consideration. But then why Lenormand versus other pretty pictures or decks of a similar size?]

Amanaki

Hi teheuti.

When i first started to learn divination with cards i tried Tarot, but from the very start i felt it was a to big subject for me to get a good grasp on it. I did try read different books and websites, but i was not able to do good readings, even small readings.

Then my brother told me about Lenormand cards, and after some reading and looking at different lenormand decks i bought my first deck. Of some reason i felt i kind of got a basic understanding of the cards and meanings a lot easier then i did with Tarot.
I think that Tarot was to deep in it meanings for me, but i dont say i would not try again at a later stage in my divination reading.

For me Lenormand have given me a tool i can use to learn more about my self.
I know i am new to Lenormand but i can already now say it will be a part of my life and i will always use the cards.

For me the Lenormand gives answer to the daily life in a more understanding way then Tarot do, but maybe its just because i never really studied Tarot deeply.
I dont expect to read really deeply in to the mentaly with Lenormand, but i hope if i read for others that i can give them the help they need.
To get the best result i feel that the Question asked have to be asked in a correct way, and i tend to stay away from Yes/ No questions.
I am also learing to use the Playing cards as a divinations, so i can read the playing cards that is found on many Lenormand decks. And i feel it gives a deeper answer then when i only use the Lenormand meanings on it own.

I have never tried a Oracle deck so i cant say much about it, But from what i have read and seen in videos about them, they are in my mind not giving a deep answer, but i can understand if they are used as an extra when lay a Tarot or Lenormand spread.

Amanaki

Teheuti

When i first started to learn divination with cards i tried Tarot, but from the very start i felt it was a to big subject for me to get a good grasp on it. . . . .
i felt i kind of got a basic understanding of the cards and meanings a lot easier then i did with Tarot.
Amanaki, if I understand you correctly, you were only introduced to Tarot and Lenormand decks and you found Lenormand easier than Tarot. You also think that other Oracle decks will not be as deep.

Could you explain or give an example of what makes a reading "deep" compared to a deck that is not deep?

Amanaki

I will try give a better answer to what i mean :)

For me Tarot feel like the most Spiritual diviation of them all. As far as i understand Tarot, the answer that the tarot deck gives can give a deeper degree of spiritual and mentally answer then Lenormand or Oracle.

Lenormand is very good at give answer to daily problems or events that happening in our lifes.

Because i dont know to much abour Oracle cards i will be carefull to day to much, but i feel when drawing only one card or maybe two card, and it give some answer, to me it feel a bit shallow, but again maybe its more to the Oracle cards then i know.

if i have a wrong understanding i am open to learn more :)

Teheuti

What qualities does the Lenormand deck have that make it deep and not shallow? How does the reader best achieve that expectation?

Amanaki

Well my understanding of Lenormand is that you can read a lot of topics with it, and that you can use it to both guide you self and other when reading with the Lenormand deck.
Example is when using GT, in my experience it is a spread that give a lot of info and it tell more deeply about the person or situation.
9 cards spread and 5 cards spread is also something i feel work good for me.

Since i have not actually used Oracle cards my self i am maybe not the right one to say what it can or cant, But from what i understand Oracle cards is used in a more one or two card answer, and maybe they are good in Yes/NO question.

Teheuti

Thanks, Amanaki. I'm hoping other people will respond, too.

TinySpark

I agree with amanaki on several points.

Lenormand is remarkably insightful to everyday matters, with tarot reading it feels (to me) more as if I am intuitively grasping to become and grow into a better version of myself. While Lenormand doesn't so much give advice, as a more detached perspective of the situation at hand. WHAT am I missing that is right in my face? HOW do I deal with this situation for the best possible solution? The desires, wants, and needs of the querent are pertinent to understanding the cards relation to each other in Lenormand. However, I do not feel the message of a lenormand reading directly delve into the desires, wants, and needs of the querent. Just points out the situation, and there you have it, deal with it.

While tarot there are so VERY MANY possibilities, because the scope is not so usually immediate and so VERY MANY factors come into play (desires, needs, wants). For me Tarot is introspective, searching within my innerself to be better. OR perhaps that is just the way I first was introduced to Tarot (in a therapy session of all places). heh.

Oracles on the other hand, I usually focus on one card and meditate on the facet of my life that could benefit from that particular card's focus. Though I must say I have only used a couple of oracles, and only found one that really suits me.

just my two cents. ;b

Le Fanu

I wouldn't go for either deep or shallow. For me it's succinctness.

I love oracles but find they mostly say what you want to hear. I also think that with most oracles, while lovely, there's that sense of not having stood the test of time so they can quite easily feel imbalanced. One person thought them up in a vacuum. What I like about the Lenormand is that there is a sense of something whose parts have withstood the test of time - the cards in all their crazy combinations always give me a sense of balance- that the right answer will come through if I follow the method.

With Oracles, the answer will be invariably positive. I'm sure many will disagree (and I am not talking about Doreen Virtue or Angel decks) but I think I choose my oracles carefully and try to go for ones that have an intelligently thought out system. Even so, it is invariably one person having come up with something in a vacuum.

In a nutshell it is succinctness I feel I expect from Lenormands. And nothing overly psychological.

Lee

Moderator's note:

Due to past contentious discussions, the three Lenormand Forum moderators (Glass Owl, Mellaenn, and myself) would like to remind everyone that on this forum, no one should feel as though they have to justify or defend their reading style or choices to anyone.

All members - regardless of how they read the Lenormand - are welcome to post and share their methods. We want to encourage a friendly, welcoming environment where everyone feels safe to express their views or learn.

No posts in this thread so far have suggested otherwise. But let's please keep this thread civil and respectful of different views and opinions.

Lee, Lenormand Co-Moderator