Expectations for Lenormand vs other decks

Seraphina

I chose to learn Lenormand for the simple reason that in my mind it is a totally different divination than tarot and oracle, of which I both use, I love the fact that Lenormand has it's own language and once mastered will provide straight to the point, no frills answers to direct questions! I am still in the very early learning stage of Lenormand but I'm finding the learning process exciting, although at times challenging, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the process. I agree with Le Fanu it is the succinctness that I want and expect from Lenormand :)

avalonian

Part of the appeal for me with Lenormand decks is that they have a structure to them, in the same way that Tarot does. There may be a couple of "tweaks" but they are still sort of organised which makes the symbolism clearer.

Also, there is the historical aspect, I like the fact that they have been around for so long and have stood the test of time.

:):):)

Zedrex

With Oracles, the answer will be invariably positive. I'm sure many will disagree (and I am not talking about Doreen Virtue or Angel decks) but I think I choose my oracles carefully and try to go for ones that have an intelligently thought out system.

I hope that's not a global rule or anything because I'm working on an oracle based around existential philosophy and the only real reason I'm not making a tarot of it is because it's an uneasy fit that would feel contrived and gimmicky.

While I have seen plenty of oracles that were little more than unstructured collections of affirmations (an in those instances, why wouldn't one just use a desktop calendar?), I believe that there's plenty of scope for workable and insightful structured systems in oracles.

Even so, it is invariably one person having come up with something in a vacuum.

You say that as though it is a bad thing :) But seriously, I don't think there's a rule saying an oracle has to be a solo effort. And I don't think we've proved that Tarot wasn't.... meaning that "one person" can still contribute something of worth.

and "in a vacuum"? Hardly. We're leaning on some very old establiished traditions here. If I were to claim that my oracle were created by myself in a vacuum, I wouldn't be being honest about the hundreds of years' worth of of contribution to a strong and timeless concept that is the basis of inspiration there.

And I guess this leads my to a question that has been on my mind lately... is evolution a relevant concept with Tarot? Does it adapt and improve and change with time, or is it perfect and fixed and only diminished by tinkering with it? Tarot Intelligent Design VS Tarot Evolution, if you will...

... and my own conclusions are that evolution is going to be necessary - at least for my own implementation. I don't think deep wisdom stopped a thousand years ago. I don't necessarily believe that all the concepts that went into the tarot are still the best we can come up with.

I think there's been a lot of great thinking in the last hundred years that is as valuable and insightful for speaking to the human condition as any of the primitive religious concepts in RWS, for instance. While I personally love the Tarot framework, which has been a lifelong friend to me, I feel that there's a lot of aspects to life in the 21st century that is passed over in favour of archaic and quaint concepts from medieval times.

Just as we don't have any authoritative last word on tarot origins, we also cannot truly be sure whether the system was intended to be updated with changes in society or if it was designed perfect and unchangeable. And to avoid rocking the boat, I'm making mine an "oracle", which I truly hope doesn't have to be shallow or saccharine in nature.

ana luisa

I read lenormand as an oracle and I find it harder than Tarot because I opted not to feel bound by original meanings for the cards and use them as a springboard for intuitive flashes. So, the Book can even be related to allergic reaction to dust, the ring can refer to Gastric Banding as so on...

Tag_jorrit

I was drawn to the Lenormand (and completely captivated) for a two main reasons. 1. It has a tried-and-true method with a no-nonsense language that has been used for 150 years (and more). 2. No woo-woo necessary. Once you know the meanings of the symbols and syntax, ask a straight forward question and it gives a no BS answer with no embellishments. And usually the answer is completely unambiguous. And in Camelia Elias' words, "fixes blind spots" that you may not have noticed.

Teheuti

I read lenormand as an oracle and I find it harder than Tarot because I opted not to feel bound by original meanings for the cards and use them as a springboard for intuitive flashes. So, the Book can even be related to allergic reaction to dust, the ring can refer to Gastric Banding as so on...
ana luisa: This is one of the things I'm truly curious about. What do you *expect* to get from the Lenormand deck that you wouldn't get from an oracle deck that was designed precisely to be a "springboard for intuitive flashes"? Why do you feel more drawn to Lenormand than to one of those decks (or, in addition to one of those decks, if that's the case)?

Teheuti

I believe that there's plenty of scope for workable and insightful structured systems in oracles.
There's a lot of interesting thoughts in your post, but I'm curious what you think of Lenormand - which you never mention. What do you expect of it and how do you find that your expectation is best achieved?

Nina*

Why do you feel more drawn to Lenormand than to one of those decks (or, in addition to one of those decks, if that's the case)?

For me I'd say: because it's most attractive to me. I like the images. Pretty much, I guess, like people who never care AT ALL about Golden Dawn, elements, archetypes etc and still use tarot decks... purely by intuition.

Teheuti

For me I'd say: because it's most attractive to me. I like the images. Pretty much, I guess, like people who never care AT ALL about Golden Dawn, elements, archetypes etc and still use tarot decks... purely by intuition.
Do you expect to get the same kind of information from them that you do from your intuitive tarot? Are they pretty much interchangeable to you? Could you use a set of postcards in the exact same way and get the same kind of information?

Nina*

Do you expect to get the same kind of information from them that you do from your intuitive tarot? Are they pretty much interchangeable to you? Could you use a set of postcards in the exact same way and get the same kind of information?

I have absolutely no intention to try, but...
If the postcards had the same images as the lenormand, then yes, I'd get the same kind of information. If they had only pictures of Santa Claus, then no, I don't think so. ;)

But it kind of misses the point here. You asked ''why use lenormand if you don't use the ''rules''''. My answer was ''because I like the pictures''. I don't think I have to have other reasons really.