Exploring meanings for the Tower

Faerie Lin

Wow! GREAT explanation, I understand your perspective totally, loved the way you compared it to outgrowing clothes! I also liked your explanation of the Wheel of Fortune, very well explained!!!!!!

Thanks,

Lin

Alex

The Tower

Diana,

You certainly did make your point clearer that I now get it. Thanks a lot. It is hard to explain things, mostly when we know them well. I had this experience when I was teaching junior colege students, they won't get anything I was saying because I assumed they had a background knowledge they actually didn't have.

Just to clarify my own thoughts, I tend to see the Wheel of Fortune as a sudden change in fate that can be for good or for bad (winning the lotery would fit here as well as having a car accident or losing everything in the stock market) and The Tower could be a possible outcome of the spinning of the Wheel. Or not. The changes we feel when the Tower starts crumbling down may feel sudden yet when we pay more attention we can see it coming, building up and taking form.

The mythic tarot book gives an additional interpretation that might be less dramatic: that The Tower symbolizes personal traits/structures to hide something shameful. A meaning very akin to wearing a defense mask or not being oneself, what one day will crash or dissolve in the form of external events, often "dramatic". What I am trying to say is that the Tower could mean just a warning that we have to take care of this part of ourselves we are trying to hide or deny, and if we can do it, we may avoid the sudden downfall of it.
Alex.

Diana said:
But this doesn't mean that things were built on wrong foundations. No, they were built for a certain time, a certain place, a certain mode of living. They were needed then. Just because a kid grows out of his clothes, doesn't mean that the clothes were not right for him. He would have looked silly with XL clothes when he only needed size S. But if he doesn't look at himself in the mirror, or if his mother doesn't pay attention and buy him new clothes, the clothes will start cracking at the seams.

The Wheel of Fortune is quieter to me, and has an element which the Tower doesn't have. The Wheel of Fortune gives me more free-will. Gives me a chance to adapt, doesn't knock me off my feet. It's a more calming thing. It's the wheel of life turning, and I can even sometimes go along and turn that wheel a bit to make it spin. It's very inviting.

[/B]

meatbox666

I find that The Tower card is Horrible.

Usually this card shows up when someone is being stalked or is stalking someone because they are screwed up. I find this card to show herpes outbreaks and AIDS. When reversed, this card is horrible. I find this card to show up in domestic violence situations and homicides.
It is a horrible card in my opinion.

mauishelle

I too suffered with the Tower for an entire year or so ;)

In retrospect, the outcome was great, but I was clinging to a profession and way of life that was no longer appropriate for me. Because I was hanging on so hard it did tear everything down, but perhaps if I'd not been clinging, perhaps I'd have started getting death and the wheel of fortune much sooner :)

In my experience, the Tower seems to warn that a way of life is ending. I think if the querent is willing to let go of an old way of life that it can be a much simpler transformation, but you will be rebuilding an entirely new structure, from the bottom up. It is a big deal, but I think it is how one chooses to view it and respond to it that can make it either a somewhat exciting prospect or one of doom and gloom.

~Shelle
who now prepares to let go of whatever is asked when the Tower shows up, trusting that something even better will replace it ;)

sapphir3

mauishelle said:
In my experience, the Tower seems to warn that a way of life is ending. I think if the querent is willing to let go of an old way of life that it can be a much simpler transformation, but you will be rebuilding an entirely new structure, from the bottom up. It is a big deal, but I think it is how one chooses to view it and respond to it that can make it either a somewhat exciting prospect or one of doom and gloom.

I love the way you explain this and I agree with you 100%. I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine I did a reading for the other day, that yes changes were going to happen, and here's why, but that she still has some control over it. It doesn't have to be a total traumatic demolition but will be if it is fought against and resisted. If we don't make the changes willingly, then the universe is going to make them, because they must happen, and it's going to be a lot harder than if we had not resisted.

On another note, during her reading I had a strong sense that karma was playing a major role in this card presenting itself to her. I'm really new to reading Tarot and am wondering how this card may be linked to karma (karmic retribution?) or am I way off base?

mynumerologist

Life-altering experiences. Surprises. Shocks. Awakening. Revelation. Liberation. Amazement. Speechless. Awe. Reverence. Divine correction. Astonishment. Astounding. Powerful speaker. Powerful voice. Instantaneous. Sudden. Caution. Electricity. High voltage. Live wire. Lightning. Jolt. Spark. Flash. Out of body experiences. Abruptly. Erratic. Spastic. Unpredictable. Unstable. Crash. Embarrassment. Loud mouth. Accidents. Catastrophes. Irreverent. Sacrilege. Blasphemy.

Be careful. Expect the unexpected. Predictably unpredictable. Never say never. All of a sudden. In a flash. In an instant. From out of nowhere. Bolt out of the blue. Shock to the system. A real eye opener. Freedom from the known. In the presence of the divine. Touched by God. A phone call from God. If you get a phone call from God, you just might turn into a burning bush. Thunder and lightning. Thou shall not take the name of the Lord in vain. Profaning the sacred. Rise so high, so far to fall. The higher the castle, the nearer to lightning. Drop you to your knees. God forbid. Accidents will happen.

nisaba

Alex said:
How would you then differentiate this card_The Tower_ from the Wheel of Fortune?
The Tower smacks you in the chops. The Wheel just keeps grinding away. That's crudely expressed, but fairly accurate, and easy to remember.

In essence, the Wheel is a reminder that no matter how good things get, there will always be another Tower experience coming along sooner or later to shake you up and prevent you getting too smug and secure.

ana luisa

Great thread! On a completely different note here, some more "mundane" meanings I already got for the Tower:

Computer problems (mainly the tower)
Bombastic sex
Coming down from your ivory tower (forced to do it)
Unprotected sex
Blowing your top (especially because of the top that is almost always coming off :))

Now, it does matter to me the deck I am using at the time. The Fey has a neat interpretation of it that "spells" - losing your ground/parameters. Check it out:

http://stregalamia.multiply.com/photos/album/24/Fey_Tarot#photo=19

yaraluna

I was just going to post a question about the tower. at first impression, i don't find the tower negative, threatening with doom and ending, etc, as much as others seem to.
My first impression of the tower, generally and depending on the question asked, is of goodness, joy, party, communal celebration or discussion. then, i may see the 'tumbling down' aspect, if applicable.

I was wondering if anyone out there sees the tower as positive/neutral in addition to the general accepted meaning of negativity. Reading Jodorowsky's book, he relates the tower as not negative, but with a negative aspect if applicable.

thank you.
yara