Feedback Please - My First Tarot Deck

huredriel

Number 2 gets my vote. Beautiful & evocative imagery. Look forward to seeing more :)

Alta

I like the first one the best. As much as anything because she is the most upright. I notice your Empresses tilt further and further over with each succeeding image. :) The Empress is after all an equal to the Emperor!

RussianSoul

They all are beautiful! Really love the style.

I think the first one is the best for the Empress.

The second one would be well suited for the Queen of Cups.

The third - for the 4 of Swords.

Riverdancer

spokeynic said:
i like the second one!!! :)

So far, two votes for the second Empress. (Thank you).

Riverdancer

Debra said:
The second one fits best with the Death card, so it gets my vote, too. These are lovely images!

Thank you, Debra. They are not completely my own artwork. I could never rival the great painters. :)

I don't know if I will carry the uniformity right through, especially the minors that I am thinking of creating according to closely related eras in painting; one for each of the four suits with respective court cards.

The creative process is sort of carrying me along with a will of its own.

Riverdancer

Star-Willow said:
I love your "Death" card, it certainly wouldn't be as frightening for a sitter in a reading because of it's peaceful quality.

And heck yeah... you should continue with your deck :D

I'm glad you saw what I am trying to accomplish with the Death card. I hope to write the accompanying book myself, though heaven only knows how I will be able to self-publish the whole, once it is done. :D

Thank you for your encouragement.

AprilFool

I'm feeling the "regal" aspect of the first Empress, but not the approachability of the "mother" in her.

The second one still looks like an equal to an Emperor, but she looks FAR more approachable, as you would think her a loving creator of life and family as she is supposed to be. I love the ghost images of the white roses above her to the right, and the tunnel that leads (to what?) somewhere. The ONLY thing I really miss about this image of the Empress is a connection to the natural world (the outdoors), other than the lovely roses. Perhaps the tunnel could lead to a lovely outdoor garden or scene?

The third one is simply too dark - the black roses evoke a sadness, not a sense of "creation" in my mind. Although it is lovely, the woman would much better serve in a different card. Maybe she's the Queen of Swords in mourning?
I love your Death Card as well. The sadness of the passing is there, along with the beauty and comfort of the white building. It is a strong, sturdy, welcome, comforting image in the misty background. Makes you think the figure is approaching a MUCH better place at the top of the stairs than the place he has just come from.

How are you creating these images? They are quite lovely and VERY unique. I look forward to seeing more of your deck.

Riverdancer

Sidhe-Ra said:
Of course you should continue! Creating a deck is an enormously rewarding and educational process. It does become rather obsessive and addictive though- be warned!

These are lovely images. the first one says 'Empress' more to me :)

Blessings,

Em x

Thank you, Em. I'm beginning to feel it already! It's like Tarot knows something new is struggling to be born and is not only giving me a helping hand, but a definite shove in the back. :D

I'm curious... What says 'Empress' to you about the first image?

ana luisa

I vote for the first Empress. It has nothing to do with allure but she looks more "nurturing" to me, she is more maternal, more to herself and "stable" emotionally. The golden tones are suggestive of health, prodigality and it reminds me of wheat that is usually associated with harvest and abundance. Besides , she´s holding an urn (? sorry, I don´t know the name of it) which resonates with the image of carrier of life, mother, etc.

BTW , gorgeous paintings!

Riverdancer

temperlyne said:
I like the romantic and dreamlike quality of your cards. I'm not sure which empress I like best though... The third seems a bit too sad but the first two both are rich and lush in their imagery. The first maybe being more regal. I suppose it also depends on the surrounding cards which will work best. You do not want readers to mistake an empress for a queen or priestess.

Thank you for pointing this out. It is also a concern of mine. There is good advice in what you tell me re. the surrounding cards, especially the Emperor and the High Priestess.

And should you continue? Once I started there was no stopping me and I believe you really need to feel that strong addictive desire to be able to finish 78 original pieces of artwork.

They are my original composites. I wish I was as gifted as the artists I have been allowed to borrow from. :)

But as long as it gives you pleasure, as long as you feel inspired, why not just continue? The cards themselves are gorgeous and if you wonder about them being marketable, I think from what I've seen that they are.

Most definite pleasure, although I am aware of the commitment. I am heartened by what you say about the cards being marketable, although I really want them to be 9.5cm x 14cm. I am leaning, right now, towards cards without borders.

Anyway, enjoy the creational journey! I look forward to seeing more from your work.

Thank you! I will share them as they come into being, and most definitely appreciate your opinion and comments, Temperlyne.